Upgrade to Monitor 40s?

Hi guys -

So I noticed the Monitor 40s are only $100 and my current setup looks like this:
TSI300s up front
TL2 center
Monitor 30s in the rear
Bic America F12 woofer
Onkyo NR509 receiver

Would you upgrade to the 40s? I feel like my 30s don't fit with my current setup as the other speakers are much powerful on paper.

Also I'll probably be looking into more powerful receivers as well so if you have any suggestions shoot them over.

TIA

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    Eh...for the 100 bucks, it might be worth it, but don't expect a drastic change. Surrounds are for ambient sounds, so you may not hear a huge difference.

Receivers...look at Marantz, Pioneer Elite SC, Yamaha avantage series.

If your system sounds off to you, you may want to check the settings, maybe upgrade the cabling a bit. That center channel is too small for those speakers btw.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Many many years ago must first upgrade was from m30s to m40s. Very little difference honestly. The m30s are perfectly fine for surrounds imho...

Save that $100 for other more important upgrades. Most important speakers in the HT are the center and sub, so I would focus either there or on the receiver. Personally I would, replace the center first, then focus on either the receiver or sub, just my two cents...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thanks for the responses guys. The reason for the TL2 center is due to lack of space due to it sitting on my fireplace mantle. I don't seem to have many options because the more powerful center are just way to big. My wiring I'm satisfied with and my sub I'm beyond satisfied with. I don't believe I'd find a better upgrade without spending an arm & a leg.
  • Looking a little into this I know this is a Polk forum but I might be able to get away with grabbing a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 center and making it work. Stats on it seem to be more powerful then my current TL2 center. Thoughts?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Have you looked at the signature series? If space is a concern the S35 center might be an option & the S50 or S55 would be an upgrade over the Tsi300.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2018
    mkapusta25 wrote: »
    Looking a little into this I know this is a Polk forum but I might be able to get away with grabbing a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 center and making it work. Stats on it seem to be more powerful then my current TL2 center. Thoughts?

Yes, it would be a good upgrade. Great center, I ran it with def tech promonitor 800s for sometime and was very happy.

And if you’re happy with the mains and the sub, just save that money to upgrade the avr. That will make a big difference...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Mains I recently just purchased and they fit perfect for the space I have them in so I'll be sticking with them. S35 might still be to deep but I'll have to measure again, also it's super wide which I don't want it to taking over the mantle either.

I think the ProCenter might be a solid bet. I've seen a bunch of Pioneer Elite receivers locally so I might be able to snatch a good deal on one of those as well.

Thanks again for all the input
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    For anyone who is wondering, the Bic F12 is an epic sub, especially for the money. Yeah, it’s no SVS, but no SVS costs $250.
    @BassFreak101 has one and it is a decent sub for music, but it punches well above it’s price for HT IMO.
  • Couldn't agree more - the sub is amazing. I previously had the PSW10, which I know is a small sub, but the difference is out of this world. The Bic has provided me with what I've been missing out on and what I was looking for in a sub.
  • Gurm42
    Gurm42 Posts: 30
    So listen - I think the Monitor 40's are stellar speakers. For the size, they crank after break-in. That said, only as FRONTS. For the purposes of surrounds? They don't make much difference. I'm using mine as surrounds, but I tend to run 5.1 Stereo for music ... a lot. Easily as much as I run HT. And for that, they vastly outperform the m30's. But for HT? I don't hear a difference. Like, at all.
    Home Theater:
    Yamaha RX-V377 AVR
    Polk Monitor 70 Series II (Front)
    Polk Monitor 15C (Center)
    Polk Monitor 40 (Rear)
    Polk PSW-110 (Sub)
    LG 60" Plasma (6650)