First Man

13»

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    tonyb wrote: »
    One word short answer is....Aliens. To think with all the billions of planets out there, that we are the only intelligent life is to me a bit short sighted. If one can in fact consider our species "intelligent", because at times I wonder that myself.

I believe we already know that, but it's kept under wraps because it would throw the religious aspect for many into a frenzy. Think about that, what if every aspect of the various religions all over the world were suddenly debunked. Religions have been used all through out history and even today, to control people. You lose that control and chaos ensues.

Some would even suggest that if faith is debunked, God himself considered to be nothing more than alien entities, then the founding principles of our own country are also debunked, irrelevant, throwing our own social order upside down. How would government handle that ?

I agree that with the vastness of space, there obviously has to be life out there. The problem is, as recent as a few hundred years ago, mankind had very little understanding of how the universe, our solar system, and even our own planet, was comprised. And as science learns more, the common man isn't quick to follow that understanding.

As with many issues, there is always the argument that either A is correct or B is correct, and that proof of A disproves B, and vice versa. What if certain aspects of A are true, certain aspects of B are true, but then there is C, D, E, F, 352 different alphabets, eleventeen trillion donkey lasers, and transmogrifying wormhole cantilevers? In other words, we know much less than we as a race will ever admit, and mankind, with his penchant for manipulating others to satisfy his own greed or ego, would never admit to not knowing everything. o:) + control = $$$

So, I don't believe that the existence of aliens debunks religion. It just changes the scope of things, and their relation to each other, as compared to how it was seen 500 years ago, or 50 years ago, or 5 years ago. God is just much, much greater than he has been given credit for and we know much, much less about him than we realize or care to admit.

Starting in the 1940s, the U.S. government was concerned that aliens/UFOs quite possibly posed a threat to national security. They don't want us believing that they don't have any given situation under control, for fear of panic. Just consider Orson Welles' 1938 radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds". So we have several reasons for keeping everything under wraps, as well as the A/B issue of religion, science, sports rivalries, and the great tube/solid state wars of the 21st century.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    tonyb wrote: »
    Yep, our planet is like a grain of sand on a beach when compared to the vastness of space. If our whole planet blew up tomorrow, the universe wouldn't even notice, much less care.

This may be true, unless we consider the possibility that aliens might think humans might someday discover nuclear weapons and the technology with which to take those weapons through space (or wormholes to distant galaxies) and use them on other planets/solar systems and the fine folks who just happen to be chilling there. Although, we know we would never do that and that has never happened before and none of that stuff is possible because we would already know how to do it because we have reached the pinnacle of technology with iPhones and 4K Ultra-HD OLEDs. :p
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2018
    It is hard to think our world was in the dark ages just a blink in time of mankind being able to use a wheel or bake bread from wheat. Thousands of years of not knowing much to almost understanding the way the Universe exists. I think it's something that we can't see where the Universe ends. It just keeps going in all directions. There's got to be, or maybe not, other intelligent life on other planets. Maybe we ARE the only BEINGS to have come this far intellectually.

It amazes me how far we've progressed technology wise since July 1947. ;)

Now that religion has been introduced. How do we explain the scene of when I was younger, I saw a white cloud come from behind my right shoulder and quickly fill a room and then my Aunt bowed her head and spoke in tongue. Then the cloud dissipated back behind my right shoulder from where it came. When it was gone, my Aunt lifted her head back up and snapped out of a trance like state. She had been witnessed speaking in tongue before because she asked "did I do it again?" My mom was there too and she and my Aunt didn't see the solid white cloud but I sure did. o:):o . I never asked my mom about that afternoon ever. I wish I had before she passed. But I don't think she saw it or she might've changed her ways.

That can't be an ALIEN thing I don't think. That has to be a religious thing since it's written about in the BIBLE. I don't know about other religions having white clouds at moments of intervention episodes. My Aunt was VERY religious and a Baptist I believe. She definitely had the POWER! o:)

I can remember that scene like it was just this morning but it happened 49 years ago. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yet another film that will never see one cent from me.

Amen!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yet another film that will never see one cent from me.

Amen!!

There ya go, bringing religion into it again!
  • Planting the flag wouldn't be a big thing at all if there were a number of countries that achieved the task. If I recall, we are still on the short list.......
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Aliens on earth? Time to call Frank! :smile:
    5mp07iodrc4k.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.