First Man

Went to see this on Saturday. Pretty long movie, but not a lot of wasted shots. Opens up some insight into how dangerous the moon mission was, and how it affected the lives of the astronauts, especially Neil Armstrong. The spacecrafts and tech look medieval.

Made my wife and I both want to see The Right Stuff after it was over. I enjoyed it but, unlike The Right Stuff, once was enough.

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    We look forward to this one. I understand they omitted the planting of the American flag on the moon.....sigh.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    muncybob wrote: »
    We look forward to this one. I understand they omitted the planting of the American flag on the moon.....sigh.

Yeah, we were disappointed in that as well. They show the flag in the background but that's it. The "first step" was kinda cool though, more details than you hear in the broadcast version.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009

I saw a few reports on TV that the Producers and Director wanted the movie to be about HUMANS making it to the moon instead of AMERICA making it there.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I get that, but it was a space race.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Too many Hollywood productions want to diminish the impact The US had on the world. History is history. Some great, some not so great. Seems to me that the not so great gets glorified all the time in Hollywood.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    tonyb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

I saw a few reports on TV that the Producers and Director wanted the movie to be about HUMANS making it to the moon instead of AMERICA making it there.

Which is wrong. It diminishes American exceptionalism. Should be about rising to the challenge that JFK put forth.

I don't want to spoil anything, which is probably redundant since it's history, but the space race was definitely shown as part of the impetus for getting to the moon.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited October 2018

I won't see it over the omission of the flag planting. I met Neil Armstrong and heard him speak at Purdue when my wife went to school there. He would have been angry as can be over this. Apollo 11 was to prove it could be done, and I believe he also saw it as a way to honor those lost in pursuit of getting there, including Command Pilot Virgil I. "Gus" Grissom, Senior Pilot Ed White, and Pilot Roger B. Chaffee, who were killed in the pad fire of Apollo 1. They were expected to be the primary crew for the moon landing.

The planting of the flag on the Moon, to Neil, would have been to honor the hundreds of thousands that got him there, and not a way to poke a finger in the eye of the rest of the world.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    That's true, but Hollywood seems to love putting down America's success at times. It was an American achievement, not a world achievement.

Good thing we didn't have this current version of Hollywood in WWII.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • nooshinjohn
    Milito wrote: »
    That's true, but Hollywood seems to love putting down America's success at times. It was an American achievement, not a world achievement.

WWII is one historic event that the world has yet to figure out how to re-write in order to marginalize American Exceptionalism...

• Tony M
    edited October 2018
    I wonder if all the parts of that lander were made in the USA?

Probably was.
  • verb
    I wonder if all the parts of that lander were made in the USA?

Probably was.
    p9t6wxvw3uuf.png

The lunar rover was engineered and built by General Motors! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    I had a good friend that designed the parachutes and pyro gear that brought back everything from Mercury, through Gemini and Apollo. His work even slowed the Space Shuttles and the X-15.... Harold Bixby... long gone, but still one of my heroes.

• verb

Yeah but shortly thereafter things would change. Interesting 3-part article on the ideological changes then, and what is prevalent today in Tinseltown.

https://www.breitbart.com/tinseltown/
  • Tony M
    verb wrote: »

Yeah but shortly thereafter things would change. Interesting 3-part article on the ideological changes then, and what is prevalent today in Tinseltown.

https://www.breitbart.com/tinseltown/

That article was very informative! I read it all!

I liked the comments after the article too! Hollywood elites are idiots, blind and, backward thinkers!

I loved the stats that show a dive in everything "Hollywood" ever since merle street said what she said at that awards show.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yet another film that will never see one cent from me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    I don't know where this Hollyweird get all their movie facts. I'm fed up with their PC agenda always trying to feed us false ideologies. Furthermore this whole going to the moon mumbo jumbo is fake as heck, after all everyone knows that the world is flat.

Yee haa!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2018
    krazypolk wrote: »
    everyone knows that the world is flat.

Taint neethar! Hears UR prouf!

6hrbx29rhxkt.jpg
  • Viking64
    Furthermore this whole going to the moon mumbo jumbo is fake as heck

Now, THAT? That's true. Every schoolboy knows that radiation from the van allen belt buckle would be lethal to astro-hippies.

ms9ru4xcz72g.jpg
  • krazypolk
    edited October 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »

Now, THAT? That's true. Every schoolboy knows that radiation from the van allen belt buckle would be lethal to astro-hippies.

ms9ru4xcz72g.jpg

Now yur talking my lanwhich.
    Post edited by krazypolk on
  • nooshinjohn
    Viking64 wrote: »

ms9ru4xcz72g.jpg
    OMG! I HAD that very same buckle!

• Viking64
    OMG! I HAD that very same buckle!

HAHAHA Now that you mention it, I think someone I know had it too. It was the first image result when I Googled "van belt buckle". :p
  • Milito
    Good article. Maybe Hollywood will fall off into the ocean some day, it sure wouldn't be a loss.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • krazypolk
    Good article. Maybe Hollywood will fall off into the ocean some day, it sure wouldn't be a loss.

I like the way you think.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Maybe Hollywood will fall off into the ocean some day, it sure wouldn't be a loss.
    How would the world deal with massive Pacific Ocean pollution that would entitle?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'd imagine God had a plan....when he surrounded Hollywood with fault lines. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Milito
    edited October 2018
    True, lol.

Yea, it would probably kill off all of the fish in that area.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    la2vegas wrote: »

Ding ding ding. Guess what, the guys who made the movie made the movie THEY wanted to make. what a novel concept. All this bickering about they should have added this, they should have done that. If you want to watch it you will, if you don't want to watch it you won't. Simple as that.

So did Leni Riefenstahl