Another blown amp PSW125

I am just beyond frustrated at this point. I called Polk tech support last week to get a replacement board in one of my two subs since the amp won't turn on and there is clearly something fried on the board. They said the whole amp needs to be replaced. Since I was pretty sure I've had it more than 3 years I didn't argue much about it not being covered under warranty. Not sure why she couldn't look it up by the serial number. Tech support said the amp was $75 and the person she transferred me to buy it told me it was $125 and I shouldn't have been told it was $75. To make matters worse, the guy said I should just buy a new sub. I have two and I want them to match, so I was pretty ticked off and asked for a supervisor. I got transferred to a VM and no one called back.

Here we are a week later and my OTHER sub no longer turns on! Are you kidding me! I have two (dead) 12" Polk subs, a Polk sound bar with sub and ceiling Polk speakers and this is NOT settling well!!! I don't want to go buy two new subs, I want mine working!

Comments

• GJosephs
    GJosephs Posts: 6
    edited October 2018
    5n1skvujweuj.jpg
    1jl6pwdxnlti.jpg

Figured I better post some pics
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Sub amps of any brand don't seem to last, it's not just Polk. Anyway, you would be better off buying one or two new subs as what you have are easily improved upon. SVS makes some pretty decent subs.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I understand there's room for improvement, I'm just not enthused about dropping another $800-$1,000 on a pair of powered subs. I never got a center channel, so that's next on my purchase list. Also, I don't think I could go smaller than 12's after upgrading to the subs I have. I just want to have new amps so I can get a few more years out of them then decide what to do.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I think the key is to get a sub that you hardly ever push to limits. Some of the cheaper subs need to be pushed to clipping to get any kind of decent output (at least in my experience)
    Having a lot of headroom in the power stage would seem to me like a good way to increase the longevity.
    Enter SVS...
  • Hello,
    I'm sorry you're having a problem, I'll ask Kim Jasper, the CS manager to contact you via email.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    GJosephs wrote: »
    I understand there's room for improvement, I'm just not enthused about dropping another $800-$1,000 on a pair of powered subs. I never got a center channel, so that's next on my purchase list. Also, I don't think I could go smaller than 12's after upgrading to the subs I have. I just want to have new amps so I can get a few more years out of them then decide what to do.

I hear ya man, but sometimes it's better to cut the loses when repairs outweigh the value of something. Stuff breaks, just like car repairs, sometimes it's just better to move on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • I believe Kim is going to contact you.
  • Kim emailed me, thanks Ken! Even though I was 99% sure I knew what the outcome would be, I wanted to be thorough. I went and got a new fuse and it blew immediately with a spark from the board. Just like the other one. Both amps are clearly shot. I appreciate the fast responses by the way. I was pretty bummed after losing two subs within such a short period of time!

gb8b7k2exl6g.jpg
  • I am soooooo stoked to have both subs working again. Polk really stepped up and took care of me which was quite a relief. Looks like the last few speakers I'm buying will still be Polk LOL. Now I need to look for 4 satellite speakers and a center channel to complete my home theater system!
  • I'm glad Kim was able to help you.
  • I have a similar situation, my whole setup is polk with the cherry finish so I don't want to replace the sub with anything else, but I've had a second (brand new) amp assembly blow. Multiple pieces on the board have melted and the fuse has blown, despite it only ever being used lightly. Do I just replace the amp again and accept they blow regularly, or am I missing something? I'm on tompotts1979@gmail.com
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I have a similar situation, my whole setup is polk with the cherry finish so I don't want to replace the sub with anything else, but I've had a second (brand new) amp assembly blow. Multiple pieces on the board have melted and the fuse has blown, despite it only ever being used lightly. Do I just replace the amp again and accept they blow regularly, or am I missing something? I'm on tompotts1979@gmail.com

Get a different subwoofer. Subs don't have to voice match and are easily interchangeable with a variety of speakers. SVS or HSU should be a good starting point.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I have a similar situation, my whole setup is polk with the cherry finish so I don't want to replace the sub with anything else, but I've had a second (brand new) amp assembly blow. Multiple pieces on the board have melted and the fuse has blown, despite it only ever being used lightly. Do I just replace the amp again and accept they blow regularly, or am I missing something? I'm on tompotts1979@gmail.com

Missing something.........
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BOFO
    BOFO Posts: 1
    i am in the same exact situation as gjosephs, i also have two subs i have changed the plate in each sub already and they both have gone again. they are great subs when working. mine are also all matched to my other speakers and i also dont feel the need to spend 1000 bucks for a new set. the speakers and the case of these subs are like brand new. i want to continue to use polk but i fear if i have to go buy new subs because of this i think i would be foolish to purchase polk again i dont know what to do. i hope their customer service can help me with this issue. i really love the sound of them when they were working. if kim could reach out to me and help that would be great and i think i would continue to be a lifelong customer. i hope they will work with me and get my bass kickin again.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    you know what you do not hear about failing... HSU and SVS plate amps
  • KatS
    KatS Posts: 1
    Hello.
    I am hoping you can help. I have a sub that doesn't seem to be working. The led that indicates it's on won't light up. That tells me there is no power. I used a different power cord, still nothing. Does this mean there is something else wrong? I enjoy DIY projects so I'm not afraid to open it up and look around but I need some guidance. Since we all seem to have some extra time on our hands right now I thought it would be a good time. Thanks in advance!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    My PSW125 had a fuse on the outer rear plate. When my amp failed a new fuse would blow immediately. Those subs are known to have a short life span, unfortunately. Polk replaced the amp plate with a newer version, but people are still reporting issues, so I can only assume that includes the newer versions. There is a thread around here somewhere with pics of both amp plate versions.

The manual states to place the volume knob at 50% (12 o'clock position). I think Polk should have issued a statement that the volume knob shouldn't exceed 10'oclock and see if that cured the amps from burning out, but they would have sounded under-powered. After purchasing a better sub, I wish I hadn't put more money into the 125. I think my original amp lasted three years, if I remember correctly.
  • Miller804
    Miller804 Posts: 1
    I just ordered a new PSW125 after having the one I already owned for 4 years quit working and making strange noises. Like others I have all the satellites and a nice matching system and wanted to keep it that way. I was hoping to get another plate for this one and have two but now beginning to wonder if I made a bad decision. I still have PSW 110 in my garage from years ago that also has a bad amp.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited May 2020
    Hey @Miller804 I feel your pain. Went down that road previously. I did buy a new amp for mine cause I just couldn't toss the sub away.

In retrospect I should have tossed it. As you read through the many threads about the lifespan of those subs are short, as the amp will fail over time. And the replacement amp is not really a value considering the price of a replacement sub.

Looking forward, you may want to consider upgrading. I upgraded to SVS subs (pre-owned), not the top of the line, as there is a sub for every budget, and have been very happy.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Miller804
    Miller804 Posts: 1
    verb wrote: »
    Hey @Miller804 I feel your pain. Went down that road previously. I did buy a new amp for mine cause I just couldn't toss the sub away.

In retrospect I should have tossed it. As you read through the many threads about the lifespan of those subs are short, as the amp will fail over time. And the replacement amp is not really a value considering the price of a replacement sub.

Looking forward, you may want to consider upgrading. I upgraded to SVS subs (pre-owned), not the top of the line, as there is a sub for every budget, and have been very happy.

Thanks for the advice I got a pretty good price on on it and pretty funny I was just getting ready to look up the SVS just to see what everybody was referring to when I seen your reply.

I had a feeling pulling the trigger on it I could end up with a collection of these subs that don’t work. Thinking I could have paid more and got a powered sub that would have lasted more than a few years I wasn’t aware of so many failed amps.
    I seen someone said they changed the amp hopefully the components are now more compatible.
  • Nhorrocks
    Nhorrocks Posts: 5
    Hi :) I have 2 x PSW 125 subs, which have the heartbeat / static / buzzing problem. I'm in melbourne Australia. Can someone please help me with a solution? Thank you very much! :)
  • mrtech11
    mrtech11 Posts: 5
    I have a Polk audio sub wooferPSW125, the fuse blown, and the mosfet is shorted ,there someone, show the back of, main board, picture, so that I can see the smd parts resistors, thanks all😊
  • mrtech11
    mrtech11 Posts: 5
    NHorrocks, i think the problem in your psw 125 ,there an leakage capacitor,or transistor,
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited June 2020

I have a Martin Logan Dynamo that is blowing fuses due to some problem on the Power Supply Board. I know that is where the problem is because it blows fuses upon power up even when the Power supply board is disconnected from the Linear Amplifier board. It may be bad MOSFET(s) like in your case, and maybe associated driver components. Show us some pictures of the entire board. Does it use an Indigo BASH pwr supp board like so many others? Mine is 600131 Rev. 0.

or8q9jqicmpo.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • I have a Martin Logan Dynamo that is blowing fuses due to some problem on the Power Supply Board. I know that is where the problem is because it blows fuses upon power up even when the Power supply board is disconnected from the Linear Amplifier board. It may be bad MOSFET(s) like in your case, and maybe associated driver components. Show us some pictures of the entire board. Does it use an Indigo BASH pwr supp board like so many others? Mine is 600131 Rev. 0.

or8q9jqicmpo.jpg

George - did you ever resolve this? I have the same sub, the same revision board. It doesn't blow fuses but it just simply won't turn on. I've traced the circuits and I have the schematic for the boards (all 3) but nothing looks amiss. Continuity checks are all good. It just does nothing.

Mike, also Jersey.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited February 2021
    I bought a Polk sub with a bad amp for cheap. I bought a Dyaton plate amp from Parts Express on sale https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA250-250-Watt-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-803 and I consider it an upgrade.

However, you can buy a complete Dayton sub and it performs exceptionally well for the money. My son has a 10" Dayton sub and it is very impressive for the money,
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • DarbyR
    DarbyR Posts: 0
    So I've about had it with Polk products. I own several Polk speakers for two different systems have had problems with speakers and now my PS 125 the amp does not work. This thing is just over 3 years old, and have only used it a handful of times. I'm really getting frustrated. Called corporate talked to three different people couldn't even understand them speaking as they're probably from a different country, and that makes the situation worse. Hey Polk you should be using American people it would be much easier to understand them in our country. Anyway doesn't seem much worth spending $300 to ship it out and have it fixed when I can buy a new one for about that much. I sure hope to hear from somebody from Polk hope to hear that they can make things right. If not I'm done with Polk!
  • Good afternoon.

I never push my Polk PSW125 and I even keep the DB on the amp in the negatives but today I turned it up a little bit and it just lost power. I opened it up and the fuse was blown. I put a new fuse in and it blew immediately. I bought this setup awhile ago and never registered these or have any proof of purchase. I’m pretty SOL huh. I have two TsI500 towers that I really love and a CS20 center. Was thinking of getting some Polk surrounds but after reading the failure rate I’m not so sure now. Does anyone know where I can get a new amp?
  • I recommend sending an email message to: Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com and explain your situation and give him as much information on the dates of purchase as possible.