AV Receiver to Integrated Amp Question

I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver with pre-outs. I'm getting a McIntosh integrated amp and would like to hook up the receiver to the integrated amp for two channel music. I can connect the left and right channels from the receiver's pre-outs to the left and right inputs on the integrated amp. But how do I best control the volume? The receiver's pre-outs are volume controlled by the volume knob on the receiver. And the integrated amp also controls volume with its volume knob. I imagine I should set the receiver's volume at a fairly low level, and then totally leave it alone, raising and lowering the listening volume only with the integrated amps volume control. Does that sound right? Is there a setting on the receiver that will disable the volume output of the pre-outs? Perhaps I should RTFM! I'm going to get right on that, but would appreciate any advice any of you could provide. Thanks
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Don't use the Yamaha. Hook your music source directly to the McIntosh.
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Don't use the Yamaha. Hook your music source directly to the McIntosh.

But I use the Yamaha to stream Pandora and also run my Amazon Firestick through that receiver for Amazon music. Is there another way to do that?
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • If I had this, I could stream Pandora with my phone and send it to the McIntosh. But still wouldn't have access to Amazon music. https://theauris.com/products/auris-blume-true-hi-fi-bluetooth-music-receiver
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2018
    You just got a big boy integrated, so in my opinion it's time to upgrade your streaming sources to match. Pandora's quality is pretty bad and they stream at a low bitrate. I don't have any experience with Amazon music, but I'm guessing the story is the same there.

I recommend getting a subscription to Tidal HiFi (Lossless) and an AURALiC VEGA G1 streaming box. You'll thank me later.

https://us.auralic.com/products/vega-g1
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Forget streaming, get a damn nice SACD/CD player to go with that nice integrated amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Forget the CD player. Rip the CDs and play them with a Lumin S1, plus you can download high res files, both CD and SACD, and enjoy even better tunes. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Forget streaming, get a damn nice SACD/CD player to go with that nice integrated amp.

Sure, CD/SACD will also be a huge improvement over the lossy streaming source that he's using currently. I just assumed that since he was streaming, that he didn't have a large library of spinning discs.

Basically the take home message is that this is a perfect opportunity to improve your source since you just upped your system's quality dramatically by going with the McIntosh integrated.

In order to get the most out of it, your source needs to come up to the same/similar level, if possible. Because if you keep the lossy streaming sources, all the McIntosh is going to do is highlight the focus on the low bitrate and show you exactly how bad they really sound.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited October 2018
    What McIntosh intergrated are you getting?

I know your pain. I like the variety and convenience of Pandora and Amazon. Changing discs anymore is a PITA.

Any chance the McIntosh has bluetooth? Or could you run a blutooth adapter to a input on the McIntosh and stream from your phone.

I stream Pandora through my Yamaha Aventage RXA1050 and love it. Often I play YouTube music from my phone via blutooth. Nice to be able to pick any song I want and not have to go looking for or, even buy a disc.
  • F1nut wrote: »

I also have an Oppo UDP-203 that will be connected to it, spinning CDs and SACDs. But my wife has several favorite Pandora stations that she frequently listens to while working and in the evenings. When shopping for the integrated, I told her "yes, I'll figure out a way for you to still listen to your Pandora stations on this system". You married guys understand my predicament I'm sure. lol
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    You just got a big boy integrated, so in my opinion it's time to upgrade your streaming sources to match. Pandora's quality is pretty bad and they stream at a low bitrate. I don't have any experience with Amazon music, but I'm guessing the story is the same there.

I recommend getting a subscription to Tidal HiFi (Lossless) and an AURALiC VEGA G1 streaming box. You'll thank me later.

https://us.auralic.com/products/vega-g1

Great recommendation, but after yesterday's purchase, my wallet is a little light and it's telling me that a purchase like that is not possible. I understand the need to step up my game, but can only do it one step at a time.

• mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited October 2018
    CH46E wrote: »
    What McIntosh intergrated are you getting?

I know your pain. I like the variety and convenience of Pandora and Amazon. Changing discs anymore is a PITA.

Any chance the McIntosh has bluetooth? Or could you run a blutooth adapter to a input on the McIntosh and stream from your phone.

I stream Pandora through my Yamaha Aventage RXA1050 and love it. Often I play YouTube music from my phone via blutooth. Nice to be able to pick any song I want and not have to go looking for or, even buy a disc.

I'm getting the MA252 hybrid integrated amp. https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA252

It does not have blutooth. But I think I could stream from my phone with this. https://theauris.com/products/auris-blume-true-hi-fi-bluetooth-music-receiver
    Post edited by mark090852 on
  • mark090852
    edited October 2018
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to drive to your house and wag my finger in your face if you plan on using the Yamaha long term as a source for that McIntosh. >:)

Regardless of which route you take, get a good SOURCE to run in front of that integrated. Any less and you will be negating so many positives in your most recent purchase and never hear what its capable of.

Skip, when I started this thread, I was hoping that you wouldn't see it because I knew a "finger wagging" was deserved! lol However, I'm hoping that my Oppo 203 is a good enough source for me to appreciate what the McIntosh integrated can do. At the same time, though, it's important for me to give my wife the ability to listen to her Pandora stations and Amazon music occasionally so she can share in the fun of having this new gear. She enjoys Pandora, etc, even though it is "lossy". And I'm okay with it since it makes her happy. Especially since I have the ability to spin some Cds and SACDs using the Oppo.

I look at your website almost every day and see so much that interests me, but we are heading into full retirement and moving from Pennsylvania to our house in Colorado during the next several months. Maybe someday...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I have to agree with Skip here. Considering your going to use Amazon and Pandora as your source, there is no point to the integrated. Leave her play those things on the receiver and maybe start a second system around the Mac.

To simplify things, the Mac needs a dac. and a decent streamer. Most streamers come with pandora and a host of other music services like Tidal/Napster etc., which will give you way more music than Amazon will.....and sound better at it too.

You could connect it to the receiver using the preouts, and set the volume on the receiver at a fairly good level say around -15, and then use the volume on the Mac....but that is the worst way to connect giving you the worst possible outcome in sound.

I thought the OPPO had it's own apps for music anyway.....or am I thinking of something else ?

Your problem is, the Mac out classes everything else your using. To fully appreciate what the Mac can do, you'd have to up your game in other areas.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    If your McIntosh integrated has Home Theater PassThru (aka HT bypass), you can connect it to your receiver and essentially use it as you suggested in your initial post. Volume would then be controlled only by the AVR.

I do something similar, but my music source connects directly to my integrated, removing the receiver from the chain for music. In HT mode, the integrated functions as a power amp for the front left and right speakers.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    ^^^ Never mind. I see that your model does not have this option...
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited October 2018
    If all you are trying to do is use the receiver as a source you should be able to use the tape out/loop/monitor.

I would agree not the best source but it should get you by until you can upgrade.

I’m sure you looked while shopping but the higher McIntosh integrated amps solve all these problems.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I might have chosen the MC275 and built the system out from there adding the components and connectivity needed carefully from there.

A worthy DAC and pre amp would be next. What speakers are you using?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb wrote: »
    I have to agree with Skip here. Considering your going to use Amazon and Pandora as your source, there is no point to the integrated. Leave her play those things on the receiver and maybe start a second system around the Mac.

I thought the OPPO had it's own apps for music anyway.....or am I thinking of something else ?

Tony, Amazon and Pandora are just two of the three sources I'm going to use. The Oppo will be the main source. However, it does not have apps. The 203 and the 205 were without apps. Unfortunately, starting another system is not possible.

I actually already have another system in the family room of our Colorado house and a bedroom system here in this house in PA that we are renting for a few more months. Both of these other systems have the capability to stream Pandora and many others. I'm just trying to find a way to include her enjoyment of Pandora with this new integrated. I know the sound is not worthy of an amp like this, but my wife is worthy (to me) of an attempt on my part to make this happen. We will have lots of great sound from this amp using the Oppo, so there really is a point to the integrated as far as I am concerned. It's just that sometimes, when she wants to listen to her music, I want to be able to turn on Pandora for her, here in the living room, where the McIntosh will be the center piece for the time being.

• I might have chosen the MC275 and built the system out from there adding the components and connectivity needed carefully from there.

A worthy DAC and pre amp would be next. What speakers are you using?

I'm using Polk LSiM 703s.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is there a smart TV in the mix ? They usually have the apps and possibly run a digital out to the oppo, if it has an input.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2018
    For streaming the likes of Pandora and Amazon the Yammy will be more than adequate. For volume level just adjust the receivers output level to roughly match the level of the other sources.
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Is there a smart TV in the mix ? They usually have the apps and possibly run a digital out to the oppo, if it has an input.

No smart tv in the mix with this living room system. Just the OPPO 203, Yamaha receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen 3 two channel amp (which will be taken out of service and used in one of the other systems when we complete the move to Colorado), Polk LSiM speakers, and the new McIntosh MA252 integrated amp.

• FTGV wrote: »
    For streaming the likes of Pandora and Amazon the Yammy will be more than adequate. For volume level just adjust the receivers output level to roughly match the level of the other sources.

YES! That should do it. I should of thought of that. Thank you!

• tratliff
    edited October 2018
    mark090852 wrote: »
    FTGV wrote: »

Matching volume will not be necessary if you use the tape out output from the Yamaha. Then the Mcintosh would just see the Yamaha as another source with a fixed output.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mark090852
    edited October 2018
    tratliff wrote: »
    FTGV wrote: »

Matching volume will not be necessary if you use the tape out output from the Yamaha. Then the Mcintosh would just see the Yamaha as another source with a fixed output.

I'm looking at the manual right now, and I don't see a tape out output on the diagram of the back of the unit. I do see "audio 1" and "audio 2" RCA connectors, but I'm not sure if they are audio outputs or audio inputs. Any ideas?

Edited: I'm still looking at the manual and I do see "AV Out". Couldn't I use just the R and L audio outputs here and leave the video connector unconnected? Would that be a fixed volume audio output connection?
  • tratliff
    I was looking at the manual online. See page 10 item 16 “AV Out”. These should be a fixed level output.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2018
    It's labeled AV out. Using these outputs will shorten the signal path and as tratliff mentioned give you a fixed output level. However if you are using any of the processing features they will be bypassed.
  • mark090852
    edited October 2018
    Thanks tratliff and FTGV. I will give that a try. Thank you for your help.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

I also have an Oppo UDP-203 that will be connected to it, spinning CDs and SACDs. But my wife has several favorite Pandora stations that she frequently listens to while working and in the evenings. When shopping for the integrated, I told her "yes, I'll figure out a way for you to still listen to your Pandora stations on this system". You married guys understand my predicament I'm sure. lol

That model is not known for quality sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mark090852
    edited October 2018

That model is not known for quality sound.

I think the sound is fantastic. SACDs sound great to us.