The SDA SRS's have landed at Verb's house!

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2018
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2018
    @verb I may have missed it so I’ll ask - How much did u pay for them and where we’re they listed?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    stretchl wrote: »
    @verb I may have missed it so I’ll ask - How much did u pay for them and where we’re they listed?

Paid $1000 includes jumpers and stock IC cable. He was asking $1200. They were listed on CL here in Michigan.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Those are really nice. Great score, congratulations and enjoy!!!!!!!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    verb wrote: »
    A bit lazy, but @gmcman still owes me some screws! :smile:

After thinking I accidentally tossed them....

7j866io2br92.jpg

Very early this am during my changeover to shift work again, I figured I would check all my screw bins and was quite happy to see that.

I tried to get the size from VTL but they were at a show last weekend and I was still awaiting an email.

I'll get them sent out today. I believe 20 screws to remove to roll tubes...they may end up in the bag again... :)
  • verb
    gmcman wrote: »
    A bit lazy, but @gmcman still owes me some screws! :smile:

After thinking I accidentally tossed them....

7j866io2br92.jpg

Very early this am during my changeover to shift work again, I figured I would check all my screw bins and was quite happy to see that.

I tried to get the size from VTL but they were at a show last weekend and I was still awaiting an email.

I'll get them sent out today. I believe 20 screws to remove to roll tubes...they may end up in the bag again... :)

No worries brother! Glad you found em! Happens to me all the time, usually after I run to the store and buy replacements! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    New tweeters arrived at the house yesterday! Gonna swap em out this weekend! :smiley:
  • verb
    So today is the day I'm gonna swap out the tweeters. Got a shipment of 10 Rd0-194's (2 spares) to replace the SL2000's in there right now.

Many of you have seen this before, but the new tweeters do not have material on the back side of the screw attachments. This causes a gap at the attachment interface, allowing air to leak.
    Original Tweeter:
    i25d3kqrpbt0.jpg
    New Tweeter:
    gmyullu4q84w.jpg
    As suggested here on the forum, I used #8 washers as spacers to compensate:
    bngn96ctaqwn.jpg
    Superglue was used to attach to the bezels.
  • verb
    During removal of the original tweeters, I found a couple of bad seals:
    Looks like some quality issues during assembly:
    6iyolesooknp.jpg
    Luckily, I have some spares that I used as replacements.
  • verb
    edited October 2018
    This next part was interesting, although a bit frustrating at first. One of the attachment screws was stripped! 3/32 internal hex was stripped out to pretty much a cylindrical hole! Not sure how that happened. Maybe previous owner, re-work at the assembly plant, could be anything.

So, I decided to sacrifice that tweeter. I scored the plastic bezel along two lines (horizontal and vertical) at the screw location, and then snapped off the tweeter. Pretty easy, as the score lines facilitated the break, without any stress on the cabinet.

Tweeter snapped off cleanly (lower opening, upper left fastener):
    7vra5gjfdufx.jpg
    Then I used some wire cutters to grab the screw head and loosen.
    cqc5hh468dwg.jpg

Time to take a break, gotta take the Mrs out for dinner! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    New tweeters installed!

Look'n Good!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited October 2018
    From the looks of the Hex Head Taps in the Mid-Drivers and the Machine Screws in the Tweeters, this is not a Factory install. Are there Huricane Nuts that these are screwed into?

Nothing wrong with this at all, actually much better than the original Wood Screws that were installed at the Factory.

It looks as if the Internal Wiring is different from Stock as well, at least differs from any wires I've seen in SDA's before.

Your install of the RDO's looks very good!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'm calling BS. These pix are obviously all Photoshopped!!!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    From the looks of the Hex Head Taps in the Mid-Drivers and the Machine Screws in the Tweeters, this is not a Factory install. Are there Huricane Nuts that these are screwed into?

Nothing wrong with this at all, actually much better than the original Wood Screws that were installed at the Factory.

It looks as if the Internal Wiring is different from Stock as well, at least differs from any wires I've seen in SDA's before.

The original SRSs had clear, Vampire Wire for the tweeters Mike.
    It has a tendency to turn green starting at the ends, so you might want to inspect them Dave

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • My friend has the SDA SRS 1.2 and they came from the factory with hex head bolts on the mid drivers and the tweeters. I believe the original SRS had the hex head bolts as well. That's where I got my idea to install them on my 1.2 TL's.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Mike Reeter
    edited October 2018

It has a tendency to turn green starting at the ends, so you might want to inspect them Dave
    My friend has the SDA SRS 1.2 and they came from the factory with hex head bolts on the mid drivers and the tweeters. I believe the original SRS had the hex head bolts as well. That's where I got my idea to install them on my 1.2 TL's.

Thanks guys, Once again I learned something from the Vast Knowledge Base here!

verb, please disregard my comments!!!! except for "Your Install of the RDO's looks very good!" :D

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084

verb, please disregard my comments!!!! except for "Your Install of the RDO's looks very good!"

Mike is the consummate gentleman . . .

btw, just wondering if you're still in love with the "new" monos? I may need to follow your lead, lol !
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    GlennDog wrote: »

verb, please disregard my comments!!!! except for "Your Install of the RDO's looks very good!"

Mike is the consummate gentleman . . .

btw, just wondering if you're still in love with the "new" monos? I may need to follow your lead, lol !

A Resounding YES, if your travels ever get you close to Mid Missouri, please plan to come by and hear for yourself!

• verb

Yep they do. Was a bit surprised. No green though!
  • verb
    My friend has the SDA SRS 1.2 and they came from the factory with hex head bolts on the mid drivers and the tweeters. I believe the original SRS had the hex head bolts as well. That's where I got my idea to install them on my 1.2 TL's.

Yep. I believe they are factory. And they have the h-nuts already installed in the cabinets.
  • verb
    Just got home. Billy Idol crankin. Despite the burn in period, the new tweets definitely tamed things down a bit at the high end. VTL pre was on the whole time we were out, definitely warmed up and hitting its stride. Loving the new tweets! :smile:
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I'm calling BS. These pix are obviously all Photoshopped!!!

Hehe. Would’ve taken more time to photoshop than replace the tweeters, despite the little snafu! :smile:
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2018
    I believe the RD-0194's take a couple of weeks to start sounding brighter. At least my SRS2's that I had before sounded soft at first and then the tweeters sounded pretty darn normal and no sibilance was ever noticed again. But I sold them. But I bought another pair a year or so later. I almost ordered 4 tweeters the other day after reading you did Dave.

I'll bet those speakers sound crystal clear now with little to no sibilance.

Let us know if you hear all of those 194's brighten up or not in a couple of weeks. OK?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Will do sir!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Great job on the tweeter upgrade! You made short work of that project!

Solidsteel rack build tomorrow?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I used weather seal around the perimeter and around the gap between the bezel and magnet to further dampen the poorer than stock quality bezels. It also helps stabilize the terminals which are not very secure.

vmfopzucyw57.jpeg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Great job on the tweeter upgrade! You made short work of that project!

Solidsteel rack build tomorrow?

Hopefully yes!
  • verb
    Solidsteel Rack complete!
    4xdrmyl83srr.jpg
  • verb
    Another thing on the new tweeters. The SL2000’s uses a flat bottom machine screw, while the new RD0-194 uses a countersunk screw. Luckily I had a bunch of the countersunk screws laying around.
    SL2000 screw interface:
    ol1caszydhc0.jpeg
    RD0-194 interface:
    eze8i8counl2.jpeg