I want a house out in the country...

...so I can have a lower noise floor while listening to music.

Too much constant noise from traffic, neighbors, commercial aircraft taking off, freeway white noise, etc.

I'm ready for a place with no neighbors that I can physically see.

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited October 2018
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I dislike many things about Texas, but I will say that I live in a very decent sized city (about 250k), but can afford a nice sized house on a really nice sized lot where that kind of noise is rarely a problem...just saying you don’t have to move to the sticks, just move to Texas :p:#
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    A friend said that too, I want a house in the country.

He bought 10 acer of land in east San Diego county. Built a nice house right in the middle. During the day it's nice but after 10pm he has a hard time sleeping with all the border patrol activity.

Be careful of what you wish for.. the grass is not always greener.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    We have 3 acres of land out here, and it's far enough from roads that you can't hear anything from the roads (other than the occasional bass-head), but it's close enough that we still have neighbors, and anywhere we want to go is a 20-minute drive away.
  • Viking64
    There are always trade-offs. I am in the process of moving. I am going from having no neighbors for a quarter mile and 3/Mbs internet speed, to lots of neighbors and 100/Mbs and the option of cable TV. :p
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2018
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

my work is done here.

I was going to post the Zappa after la2vegas' comment but I didn't want to overdo it. :p (Not that you DID overdid....overdood.....nevermint....ewe no wot ime sane.)
  • mhardy6647
    I am unfettered by the bonds of propriety.

• mrloren wrote: »

Be careful of what you wish for.. the grass is not always greener.

But it can be a lighter shade of brown.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    ours is pretty fricking green at the moment.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2018
    Houses out in the country need maintaining more. Wells and septic systems maybe. Water pressure is usually a lot lower because of cheap well pumps.

Oh, the water from wells out in the country around here smells like rotten eggs. The water leaves a yellow stain on everything white. Water softeners and filters help but you have to maintain them often. Us in the city have CITY water. Not the purist but not bad either.

Are you adept at home maintenance skills yet? There are plenty of books on that subject out there. heck, I could mail you one or two of mine if you do buy one.

If you rent, then I guess you don't need to know much more than the landlords phone#. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am unfettered by the bonds of propriety.

This transplanted NH native envies your beautiful home and property Mark having lived in secluded Gilmanton NH for most of my youth.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Country life is nice. Quiet, serene, full of nature's bounty, etc. But, it is so far away from work! Before I moved, out headquarters consolidated and relocated to an hour drive each way.

We finally moved, after 10 years of commuting, to a place that is 1.7 miles away from work! Yeah it's in the middle of a metropolis, but we found a nice 2 acre alcove in the middle of it! Best of both worlds.

The only thing that I miss from the old place was the absolute dead quiet in the evenings and early weekend mornings. In the new place there is some noise, though far enough away, from traffic.

But the upside is tremendous. We get 2 hours of our life back every day during the work week. 10 hours a week! For me that is a game changer. We're glad we moved.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited October 2018
    But it can be a lighter shade of brown.

Or perhaps a whiter shade of pale ? That is, if you're looking to trip the light fandango and trip cartwheels across the floor. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3iPP-tHdA
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Clipdat wrote: »

Too much constant noise from traffic, neighbors, commercial aircraft taking off, freeway white noise, etc.

That is why I only do serious listening on Friday and Saturday night after 10-11 PM and until sunrise the next day. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I just wanna live in a house in a different state.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    charley95 wrote: »

Me too Charlie Illinos just SUCKS and swirling the drain
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Just come on down to Arizona! Plenty of people from Chicago are here already. I prefer the city life however I live on the outskirts of the busy part of town. I can go 20 minutes north and hit wild life, rivers and best of all no cell signal. I can go 20 minutes west and be in Downtown Tempe or Phoenix where the nightlife is. Cost of living is reasonable (renting a 2Bd 2Ba 1400 sq ft house for $1145/mo) and there are plenty of nice areas. I like being out in the rural areas but can only do it for so long.

You know for being 26 I really act like an old man and never go out unless the lady wants to do something. I need a life.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited October 2018
    Just come on down to Arizona! Plenty of people from Chicago.

I'll pass then if that is the case
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    charley95 wrote: »

Me too Charlie Illinos just SUCKS and swirling the drain

Gotta agree with ya on Illinois. Grew up there, but the government is way outta control, IMO.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Have you tried looking here?i33cxzst3bjq.jpg

I’ll bet there are no neighbors as far as the eye can see. :)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited October 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Just come on down to Arizona! Plenty of people from Chicago.

I'll pass then if that is the case

You're telling me your going to miss the chance to see my "Nocturnal Kitty Speaker Protection" that I bit off you. Damn shame. :p
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    BlueFox wrote: »

That is why I only do serious listening on Friday and Saturday night after 10-11 PM and until sunrise the next day. :)

Im seriously listening right now :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

Im seriously listening right now :smile:

Good. Only a few more hours until Saturday sunrise.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Pros and cons to living in the country or in town. Tried both and won't be going back to town anytime soon. If you do look out of town just beware of the time it may take you to maintain the property if it has any amount of land. We have just over 8 acres(landlocked inside 120+ acres of corn fields, woods and Xmas tree farm) and about 3.5 requires maintenance. So much rain this summer I'm cutting grass(3 hr job at present) every 5 days. Then there are the trees, bushes, etc.

Still though, won't trade it. Can blast tunes or clay birds anytime I want. We often crank up the outdoor speakers and roast hot dogs over a "camp fire", sleep out under the stars and if mother nature calls while I'm a distance away from the house I'm not concerned about being seen by any neighbors.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    muncybob wrote: »

Still though, won't trade it. Can blast tunes or clay birds anytime I want. We often crank up the outdoor speakers and roast hot dogs over a "camp fire", sleep out under the stars and if mother nature calls while I'm a distance away from the house I'm not concerned about being seen by any neighbors.

Not even Russ??