Yep, This is happening!!!

Just placed my order with ModWright Instuments!!! I am very excited.... :p:p:p:p

OPPO UDP-205 Modification...

spck6ho4dppr.jpg
7tickyfck67m.jpg

Comments

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Awesome! Dan and Kristin are the best. Can’t wait to hear if you hear a difference once you hook up the modded version.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    That could increase the net value to $15,000. :)

Tubes rule.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited October 2018
    stretchl wrote: »
    Awesome! Dan and Kristin are the best. Can’t wait to hear if you hear a difference once you hook up the modded version.

The nice thing is I own two of these so I can do a side by side...

And yes Dan and Kristin are the best, she is fighting a cold right now..

I haven't done any upgrades to my system in quite some time so to say I am excited is an understatement..

The Music Room had one of these for sale on their website it sold for over 4k, gone in three days!!!
    Post edited by Toolfan66 on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    In seriousness -- looks pretty cool.
  • Toolfan66
    Dan Wrights Thoughts:
    The UDP-205 has fabulous technology and connectivity, including all current DSD decoding abilities. In stock form, I found it very revealing, but a bit cold and clinical. With our new fully differential, transformer coupled analog stage (6922 based), I am VERY pleased. It is still revealing and open, but the sound stage is much bigger and the sound is more organic with none of the hard edge or glare of the stock unit. Importantly, I find the UDP-205 tube mod to be more resolving and dynamic than our past Oppo mods. I feel the UDP-205 to be among the best mod sound that we have ever produced.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Very nice Larry. Balls to the wall man!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I had a Sony 9100ES that I sent to Dan for the Signature Truth mod with the tube rectified PS. It was the bees knees
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on the upgrade, I've always lusted for a Modwright Player.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    In stock form, I found it very revealing, but a bit cold and clinical. With our new fully differential, transformer coupled analog stage (6922 based), I am VERY pleased. It is still revealing and open, but the sound stage is much bigger and the sound is more organic with none of the hard edge or glare of the stock unit.

In bold is what I've found to be the Oppo house sound and it baffles me why so many think it sounds good.

Larry, I'm confident you will like the Modwright version much better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I've heard the Modwright version of prior Oppo iterations was something so the mods to the 205 should be awesome. I'd do it myself but I have so many tubes in my chain already ... but who knows. Lots of holy grail type options out there in the 6922 based tubes also. Those holy grail 6922 based options are Just expensive Lol.
  • pitdogg2
    F1nut wrote: »
    In stock form, I found it very revealing, but a bit cold and clinical. With our new fully differential, transformer coupled analog stage (6922 based), I am VERY pleased. It is still revealing and open, but the sound stage is much bigger and the sound is more organic with none of the hard edge or glare of the stock unit.

In bold is what I've found to be the Oppo house sound and it baffles me why so many think it sounds good.

Well My Oppo 205 is the first I've had from Oppo. I do find it to be much more revealing than my Pioneer PD-09. I do not find it cold, clinical or harsh. I do however run everything through a tube buffer with 6SN7 VT-231 Raytheon 1949 NOS tubes at the moment but I do and have used many 6SN7 tubes these are just what I'm using at this time.

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited October 2018
    I'm envious. The mods look wickedly excellent! Will say I went to 'OppoMod' out of South Korea for mods on my 105Darby and was quite satisfied there... but there was no 'tube magic' involved. Now that I have one of the last 205's produced, if I decide to go the mod route, I will have to put on my 'big boy pants' and give Modwright a more serious consideration. Just need to make sure the bank account is up to the task.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2018
    dromunds wrote: »
    I've heard the Modwright version of prior Oppo iterations was something so the mods to the 205 should be awesome. I'd do it myself but I have so many tubes in my chain already ... but who knows. Lots of holy grail type options out there in the 6922 based tubes also. Those holy grail 6922 based options are Just expensive Lol.

I am confused (or, at least, curious) - looks like octals stiking out of the Oppo unit in the photo (maybe 6SN7s or similar twin triodes?) -- are the 6922s inside or did they change from octals to 9-pin miniatures (or vice versa)?

7tickyfck67m.jpg

• pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    dromunds wrote: »

I am confused (or, at least, curious) - looks like octals stiking out of the Oppo unit in the photo (maybe 6SN7s or similar twin triodes?) -- are the 6922s inside or did they change from octals to 9-pin miniatures (or vice versa)?

7tickyfck67m.jpg

yes Doc those are most definitely 6SN7. I to wonder why the 6922/6DJ8 tube is used.
  • Toolfan66
    Thanks Guys, like I said, I am super excited, been a while since I have had this feeling, and I couldn't pass up the $500 off they are giving the guys on the OPPO Facebook page, it was enough to push me over the edge...

And like I said I own two of them so doing a side by side will be fun...

I am on the side that I think these units are fantastic in stock form for the price point, I honestly don't see anything that competes with them for all they have to offer..
  • Toolfan66
    edited October 2018

I have no doubts that will be the case..
  • pitdogg2
    $500 off dang almost makes me wish I had facebook........

no it don't
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

It is a hell of a lot warmer that my Krell...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The first photo is of the modified 105. The modified 205 also has two tubes sticking out of the top of the chassis, but they are on the right side towards the rear. The power supply also has tubes in it for both modified models.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

It is a hell of a lot warmer that my Krell...

I don't doubt that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    wow..gratz..This is the same
    road i want to go down soon : )
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Just placed my order with ModWright Instuments!!! I am very excited.... :p:p:p:p

OPPO UDP-205 Modification...

spck6ho4dppr.jpg
    7tickyfck67m.jpg

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Any idea where they put the tubes in the audio circuit (and other upgrades /changes).

Hopefully this mod does more than you can do yourself by just adding a tube buffer.
  • Toolfan66
    Tube mod includes:

Total redesign and replacement of op-amp based stock analog stage with a fully balanced, pure Class A, tube/transformer coupled analog stage (6922 driver tubes).
    External PS 9.0 v. 10 with tube rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5R4GYS 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents).
    Truth umbilical of our own design.
    Highest Quality resistors in key signal path applications.
    All MWI M-type capacitors in signal path.
    External supply available with optional hole to allow for use of taller, larger diameter tubes other than 5AR4/GZ34 (just ask).
  • Toolfan66
    This is a 205 with the External power supply..

xjusbpihnrsr.jpeg
    775ree7q84dk.jpeg
    asvw5kqjj3ro.jpeg
  • delkal
    edited October 2018
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Tube mod includes:

Total redesign and replacement of op-amp based stock analog stage with a fully balanced, pure Class A, tube/transformer coupled analog stage (6922 driver tubes).
    External PS 9.0 v. 10 with tube rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5R4GYS 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents).
    Truth umbilical of our own design.
    Highest Quality resistors in key signal path applications.
    All MWI M-type capacitors in signal path.
    External supply available with optional hole to allow for use of taller, larger diameter tubes other than 5AR4/GZ34 (just ask).

OK, sounds real and worthwhile to do.

Sorry I even questioned it but there are a lot of BS "upgrades" out there.
  • pitdogg2
    Would something like this void the oppo factory warranty on anything?

I thinking if you have loading and drive problems under factory warranty time frame.
  • delkal
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Would something like this void the oppo factory warranty on anything?

I thinking if you have loading and drive problems under factory warranty time frame.

You are assuming there is still a warranty. Last I heard OPPO is done with and they contracted with a third party for warranty claims. I don't think anyone knows what that means yet. And I hope they have the repair parts.