SRT system?? whats it worth

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2018
    Esavinon made some long road trips for gear. NY, NY to Iowa for a complete SRT system. Stopped here on the way back for refuel, grilled him a nice steak. He jokingly said he encountered something in Iowa he's never seen before....mud. lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    la2vegas wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Esavinon is the SRT king, Gate was a poser.

Neither one of those gente chime in too often anymore.

Well GC was banned. I guess @ESavinon just doesn’t come around anymore. Don’t worry, it was him not us 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    edited October 2018
    If you are going to drop that kind of coin just understand that the only way to get any replacement parts if something goes wrong is from another SRT system. Also, give the subs a workout before buying. SRT sub drivers were notorious for poor spiders and will sound terrible if not repaired. I had to repair all the spiders in my SRT subs when I owned a set. Without a remote, you will need to track down someone who has the codes so you can control sub volume level, etc. Unless you want to manually adjust. Not convenient when listening.

I sold my SRTs after doing a side by side comparison with my 2.3TLs and for my ears, the 2.3s are much more musical and the bass much cleaner and more precise than the SRTs. They also work amazingly well for home theater when paired with a LSiM 706 center speaker. IMO a far superior HT and music experience than SRTs for less $. Of course that my opinion. 😃
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Hey all. So I went ahead and had them all repaired. Went out and got an older B&K 7250 (375 x 5) and just picked up a B&K AVR 307. Holy crap. Never selling these now. It’s crazy how good it all sounds. I’m in love for sure.

They sounded good with the Sony at a pre amp running to my B&K amp. But with the 307 there is no comparison. I think I’m gonna bi amp them now and throw even more power at it. Anyone ever run these bi amped?
  • dpowell
    edited October 2018
    N54NOMORE wrote: »
    Never selling these now. It’s crazy how good it all sounds. I’m in love for sure.

.... I think I’m gonna bi amp them now and throw even more power at it. Anyone ever run these bi amped?

Glad you like them! They are monsters for sure.

If memory serves me correctly, you can bi amp the stereo side of the satellites but nothing else but it's been too long since I worked with them to recall if that is done through the control unit or direct. If you have the amp channels to swing it, give it a go. I currently have the 2.3TLs biamped with the fifth amp channel used for center. The rears are driven with the AVR.

Enjoy them!

____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    N54NOMORE wrote: »
    OK, so i'm not very knowledgeable on all of this. I acquired a full SRT system from a relative. It had been sitting for a long time so I brought it in to a local speaker shop (Midwest speaker repair) and had them go through each cabinet. They said it would be 530 to get everything in tip top shape. The system is the huge center channel, the two giant towers and both rear speakers (they have speakers on both sides). Also have the sound processer head unit. I also have an old sony mobile es receiver for it STR-DA333ES

So what the hell is the system worth? I would imagine its worth repairing. I would have to do so if selling either way. the cabinets are in good shape. any ideas? anyone interested in them?

You're one lucky person!! :)B)

I wonder how much you had to pay your relative? :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Man I would love to hear that setup. I can’t even imagine...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited October 2018
    Good morning.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    ESavinon wrote: »
    Good morning.

Good morning your majesty
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I'd mainly be curious how it hooks up now as IIRC the controller can only do 5.1 Dolby.

If true, what are you missing out on because you cant do Lossless, or any of the other formats (atmos, 7.1, 7.3, etc).

Not saying thats bad, I'm just curious what if anything is lost in translation due to the older tech.

They are really cool looking speakers, thats for sure.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dpowell
    edited October 2018
    I'd mainly be curious how it hooks up now as IIRC the controller can only do 5.1 Dolby.

If true, what are you missing out on because you cant do Lossless, or any of the other formats (atmos, 7.1, 7.3, etc).

Not saying thats bad, I'm just curious what if anything is lost in translation due to the older tech.

They are really cool looking speakers, thats for sure.

The SRT controller is in line after the amplifier and passes signal straight through to the stereo array. It processes SDA internally and sends SDA signal to the dimensional array. The controller also processes bass xo and volume functions. It does not prohibit the use of lossless audio formats since rear channels are wired directly to the amp.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Thats cool, learned something new today! Thanks @dpowell
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    edited October 2018
    Hi Ed!

Pics of controller from Ed's stop here before heading home. April 2009 IIRC.

g9oo5ru8kro6.jpg
    fy0hdgx663if.jpg
    4h0y8jjfdlbt.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ESavinon
    Time flies! Almost 10 years ago.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hi Ed, hope all is well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ESavinon
    Hi Ed, hope all is well.

Hello Jesse. I'm doing good. I lurk around from time to time in the shadows of the forum.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I always knew you were one of those stealthy types. ;)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I've had the SRT's, and I'll agree with others that musically they fell short of some of the other SDA models. HT however, they were simply animals. Sold them to buy the Legacy Focus 20/20's, which pretty much was a huge upgrade.

Given their age, parts being scarce, I wouldn't pay more than 1000 for a working pair with the controller. 1500 if pristine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    I've heard one of Ed's SRT systems when he was living in the Bronx, maybe 10 years ago? Sounded fabulous! The front SRTs also sound great as just a two channel system.

I seem to recall I hauled a 150 lb. Krell KSA-250 up to NY during that trip.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    schwarcw wrote: »

I recall Ed melting some speakers fuse holders with that amp.
  • ESavinon
    I've heard one of Ed's SRT systems when he was living in the Bronx, maybe 10 years ago? Sounded fabulous! The front SRTs also sound great as just a two channel system.

The SRT speakers are the best SDA speakers ever designed.
    Due to the fact that they where primarily designed for HT and to handle 1kw, Their crossovers have extensive protection that interefere with musical reproduction. I've already researched many mods that will bring these speakers into a completely whole other level musically.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I was testing out a pair Carver Amazing ALS-3 I bought from carl. The modded sub on these kept taking the punishment the krell was dishing out until I melted the fuse holder! The fuse didn't blow nor did I damage the woofer.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    There were more than 20 sets sold and there are more than 20 sets in existence today because the SRT King has at least that many.

Keep in mind that the SRT system came in many configurations. The one in the ad is the basic system. The full balls out system was north of $20k.

No one knows for sure how many where made. The closest guestimate was 500 complete sets for the US and 500 internationally.
    I currently have 5 complete sda sets.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon

The SRT speakers are the best SDA speakers ever designed.
    Due to the fact that they where primarily designed for HT and to handle 1kw, Their crossovers have extensive protection that interefere with musical reproduction. I've already researched many mods that will bring these speakers into a completely whole other level musically.

Can you elaborate?

Are you familiar with the SDA series from polk?
    The SRT where the last generation of SDA speakers designed by Matt Polk.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    There were more than 20 sets sold and there are more than 20 sets in existence today because the SRT King has at least that many.

Keep in mind that the SRT system came in many configurations. The one in the ad is the basic system. The full balls out system was north of $20k.

No one knows for sure how many where made. The closest guestimate was 500 complete sets for the US and 500 internationally.

5 complete sets? Are you kidding me? Are you keeping these as a retirement package or are you simply in awe of this system?

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon wrote: »

I was testing out a pair Carver Amazing ALS-3 I bought from carl. The modded sub on these kept taking the punishment the krell was dishing out until I melted the fuse holder! The fuse didn't blow nor did I damage the woofer.

One of THE BEST SDA experiences I ever had was with an SRT system back in 1996. One of THE MOST realistic 3 dimensional music experiences that I ever had was with a Krell KSA-250 back in 1991 driving some B & W 801 Matrix series III’s.
  • ESavinon

5 complete sets? Are you kidding me? Are you keeping these as a retirement package or are you simply in awe of this system?

I simply love the SDA series and the SRT happen to be the best at disseminating the SDA effect.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    I also am a speaker hoarder. I find speakers incredibly fascinating.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon

One of THE BEST SDA experiences I ever had was with an SRT system back in 1996. One of THE MOST realistic 3 dimensional music experiences that I ever had was with a Krell KSA-250 back in 1991 driving some B & W 801 Matrix series III’s.

I had 2 krell ksa-250. I sold them. They need a dedicated 25A line each. I tried using them in my apt but kept blowing the line switches.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    A fair price for the SRT speakers in good working order is $1000 per tower with 1 SRT control center. $2000 for the stereo pair.
    If it's a set with the SRT SDA surrounds with 2 controllers then a fair price jumps to $5000. The SRT SDA surrounds are extremely rare.

The SRT SEISMIC System: