Banksy “Girl with Balloon”.

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
edited October 2018 in The Clubhouse
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    That is insane on many levels. The first of which is they call that art worth millions. Second, that the "artist" is so offended that someone would sell his work to make a buck that he embedded a shredder in the frame... too bad DaVinci didn't come up with that one...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Polkaudioforumname
    Polkaudioforumname Posts: 63
    edited October 2018
    That is insane on many levels. The first of which is they call that art worth millions. Second, that the "artist" is so offended that someone would sell his work to make a buck that he embedded a shredder in the frame... too bad DaVinci didn't come up with that one...

From what is known about Banksy wouldn't it be more accurate to say he's offended by anyone thinking it's worth 1.4 million? He's well known as a social activist believing the money spent on art can be put to better uses.

DaVinci didn't bother finishing most of what he started. I may be wrong on this but didn't he keep the Mona Lisa and never deliver it when it was finished? My PBS watching knowledge.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Too bad that doesn't happen more often.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    This whole thing feels to me like it was staged for publicity. It will probably end up being worth more money.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    adb3da wrote: »
    This whole thing feels to me like it was staged for publicity. It will probably end up being worth more money.

I agree, way too coincidental for the timing. Very curious to see the entire mechanism...don't see how it wasn't remotely triggered.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    It’s a publicity stunt
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    gmcman wrote: »

I agree, way too coincidental for the timing. Very curious to see the entire mechanism...don't see how it wasn't remotely triggered.

I agree a stunt

but the slam of the hammer could be the trigger??
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Obviously a stunt of some kind but what kind? Nobody knows who Banksy is so it's not the typical celebrity, "look at me," genre.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »

but the slam of the hammer could be the trigger??

I was thinking that as well, but how many hammers went down before that one...was that the first? Was it hung on the wall only prior to that particular auction so a mercury switch would activate that mechanism that could react to the sound of the hammer?

Either way, seems the only way to get that effect, was to be sure it happened after it's own hammer fall. Nonetheless it's quite intriguing.
  • Burn phone trigger and he or an accomplice was at the auction to make the call?
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Wether it was a publicity stunt or not. You gotta admit . Banksy is one interesting dude. If you are honest,coming from the right or the left. He is a special talent in these modern times.
    Love yours,D6d558y3mnyv5.png
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited October 2018
    The publicity sure has been widespread! Almost all of us now know about the " Girl with Balloon" painting by Banksy now.

Anybody seeing this piece in some museum or home will almost certainly know the story and artist behind it. Putting a smile on their faces and making it even more valuable and desirable by some .

Just like a "Campbell's Soup Can" painting did for some other artist back in the day. :D

There was this "yellow Brillo Box" art box that went viral BEFORE the internet I believe and became so $$$$ you could see the value rise every month I think they said. Maybe it was after the internet was born.
    https://www.christies.com/features/How-my-fathers-Brillo-Box-that-made-3-million-8028-1.aspx
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I auctioning off a hand turkey I drew later this week, reserve is $150,000.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz wrote: »
    "Modern art" was created so people who really weren't very good at art could make a living. Kind of a "everyone gets a trophy" thing. Just MY opinion.

You have to wonder sometimes but exactly the same things were said about the likes of Matisse, Van Gogh, Picasso, etc. It's interesting to look at some of the work by artists before they started the stuff they are now known for. Picasso for example.