Formula One 2018

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Drivers genuinely love racing at Suzuka. Was your GT history as an independent or a sponsored team?

Just for fun with family and friends.
  • mlistens03 wrote: »
    Hey, NASCAR isn’t like a root canal. It sure ain’t F1, but it’s still enjoyable IMO. :)

I didn't mind Sonoma and Watkins Glen and I heard something about Charlotte being added this year as a road coarse but the ovals got old a long time ago. As I said, IMO. Regardless of my opinion though, any track that requires 200,000+ seats has got its fans and is doing something right for a lot of people.
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    F1nut wrote: »
    JHC, Horner told him to back off to save the engine and F1 is NOT spec racing. Indy Car most definitely is.

I know this is your forum and you have your following that think you're the expert on everything. I'm sorry but I don't think you or anyone else on here knows everything about everything. Everyone has their own opinion and some try to pass it off as fact. JHC, I simply asked if your comment was your opinion or from a reliable source. Since you heard or read Horner's words, I'd have to agree with you it's what happened.

And F1 is going more and more spec racing with every new rule change. Interpretations are subject to FIA inspection to see if it's within their specs. These new wings are already in the teams' hands and being told it's the way it is according to the magazine article. No 2018 wings will be allowed to carry over to 19. Liberty may be killing the class but they've got a game plan they feel will make better racing and more money. Call it what you want but it looks to me they're following Indy into spec'ed out cars so it comes down to the drivers luck and skill. Not talented engineers and techs.
  • Clipdat
    It rained during free practice 2 today.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It rained during free practice 2 today.

It seems that Suzuka had more than its share of rainy F1 races in the past. Even a typhoon or two as I recall. :p
  • BMF35 wrote: »
    JHC, Horner told him to back off to save the engine and F1 is NOT spec racing. Indy Car most definitely is.

I know this is your forum and you have your following that think you're the expert on everything. I'm sorry but I don't think you or anyone else on here knows everything about everything. Everyone has their own opinion and some try to pass it off as fact. JHC, I simply asked if your comment was your opinion or from a reliable source. Since you heard or read Horner's words, I'd have to agree with you it's what happened.

And F1 is going more and more spec racing with every new rule change. Interpretations are subject to FIA inspection to see if it's within their specs. These new wings are already in the teams' hands and being told it's the way it is according to the magazine article. No 2018 wings will be allowed to carry over to 19. Liberty may be killing the class but they've got a game plan they feel will make better racing and more money. Call it what you want but it looks to me they're following Indy into spec'ed out cars so it comes down to the drivers luck and skill. Not talented engineers and techs.

BMF, Spec or One Make Racing is where everyone uses the same make of car. An example is the Porsche Carrera Cup or the Mini Challenge. There are some races that slightly deviate from this main focus but F1 is far from that. An example of a different type of Spec Racing is the NMRA Coyote Sanctioned Racing (Mustangs). Camaro has the same race for Camaros. In these races the car itself has driver\team options but the engine itself is bought sealed from a limited number of sanctioned dealers and you can't touch it beyond routine maintenance. Everybody runs with the same engine built exactly the same. As close as it can be to "the same" anyway. If the engine needs work it gets pulled and sent back to sanctioned shops or a new engine is bought. Some engines are so controlled that cables are run from bolt to bolt to ensure no one gets inside. Every engine is inspected before a race to ensure it hasn't been broken in to. As controlled as F1 is it doesn't come close to Spec, One Make or One Design Racing.

You also need to realize that F1's governing is as much international diplomacy as it is about racing. It's not a topic that is openly discussed but ownership of some of the technology possible in the cars isn't legal in every country. I can't give you specifics because I don't know them but not every country is part of the free world as we know it. Even so there are still materials and electronics that are even illegal to possess in the USA. GPS for example. There was a time when it became legal for a citizen to possess in the US while at the same time Saudi citizens that possessed it went to prison. Almost every country has laws now about how many places to the right of the decimal point the accuracy GPS can be in that country. In the US is was 4 or 5 at one time while the military had access to the same system but went to 12+ places. God only knows what it is now. It's how we put cruise missiles threw windows on specific buildings. F1 walks a fine line with a lot of problems of this kind. A lot of the rules aren't necessarily about the level playing field they're often fingered for. It's also not a topic that is ruled with "sunshine" to prevent offending anyone, "diplomacy." It's sensitive stuff in some places and it doesn't take much imagination to suspect how far this can go with the technology in the cars today.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2018
    BMF35 wrote: »

This isn't my forum, no one follows me and I don't know everything. Jstas knows everything, just ask him.

"I simply asked if your comment was your opinion or from a reliable source"

If you had asked me like that I think you would have found my answer more to your liking.

It's Hammer time! B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hamilton can put his stamp on this year Championship with a win, Vettal and the boys are second guessing themselves right out the door. Can't help but feel sorry for Ricardio, but one could fall into the notion that the fix is in on him to make Max look good/better.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Clipdat
  • Clipdat
    edited October 2018
    LOL! Of course right as I post that, Max Verstupid understeers off track and then comes back on carelessly and haphazardly and hammers Kimi off the track. Nice one Max.
  • Clipdat
    Now that one just looked like Vettel being overly aggressive without having enough room.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Sleepy race so far...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Spoke too soon... Bottas must have been getting bored and wanted to see the kid close and personal...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Hamilton nails this one, only needs 8 points over Vettel to seal the championship.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited October 2018
    I missed it, couldn't stay awake. Suzuka is a great circuit and looks like Hamilton did what Hamilton does. He is the class of the field with Alonso stuck driving that French powered orange bus. Ferrari must have s#@t the bed. Only a few races ago it appeared that they had made a big leap in performance and had Merc very concerned. Apparently Merc's engineers were able to nullify the advantage in short order.
  • Ferrari still has the power, they are just 2nd guessing themselves.
  • One of the best races all season, Vettel still pressing to hard, but the finish was up for grabs up to the last 5 laps. Good race and well deserved win for Kimi. championship will be settled in Mexico it looks.
  • Clipdat
    Daniel Ricciardo had mechanical problems, that's unusual.
  • F1nut
    Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton, 5 time world champion!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• you can add him to the list of G.O.A.T 5x champion
  • Clipdat
    Daniel Ricciardo had mechanical problems, that's unusual.
  • Hamilton takes pole in Brazil, constructors championship on the line
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Hamilton takes pole in Brazil

I bet he does. HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Hamilton must have had Lucky Charms for breakfast, Ocon gave Max some of his own medicine.
  • F1nut
    Congrats to Mercedes on winning the Constructors championship.

Max had no one to blame but himself, he didn't leave Ocon any room. Furthermore, he attacked Ocon after the race, which should get him fined and perhaps a race ban. I liked Max until he did that, very unprofessional.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I agree. There's never any reason to resort to physical violence like that. They should penalize him to hell and back for that little outburst.
  • F1nut
    And his punishment....
    Max Verstappen must serve two days of public service after "pushing or hitting Esteban Ocon forcibly several times in the chest".

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Wow, nice meaningless slap on the wrist.

Where's the $50k fine to be donated to charity? How about a several spot grid penalty or being forced to sit out of the next race?

Hopefully his public service involves visiting schools and giving presentations to students about why pointless physical violence is never an acceptable course of action.
  • Well its over for 2018 and now we wait for the 2019 season to began. Lots of drivers switching teams which good mean that 2019 could be up for grabs. Let me rephrase that last point, after Mercedes it could be a dog fight. The Merc's come back with the same duo of drivers that have proven over the last two seasons that they are the ones to beat. Red Bull will have the young gun Max in the 1st seat next year and his attitude shows he doesn't need or want a teammate. Ferrari could go either way, up or down, Vette has shown he has some kinks in his armor when the chips are down and bringing in a young gun (Leclerc), can he handle running with the big boys. I think Haas just needs some new drivers period. They have proven to be part of the best of the rest after the front runners, but lack the confidence to mix it up. Alfa Romeo could be called the surprise team of the year with such abilities to qualify high on the grid, but again do they have the drivers that are willing to compete. Speaking of drivers can Kimi make Sauber competitive? we will have to see. Ocon show a lot of spunk towards the end of the season, unfortunately he lost his ride and will be sitting on the bench behind Hamilton and Bottas hoping one of them drops dead. I would like to say something positive or give some hope for Maclaren, but it is what it is. I feel they will be among the bottom feeders again until they are able to find the right combination between the chassis and engine power. Even Speed Racer couldn't compete with the current setup.

Chime in folks and give your opinion.
  • F1nut
    I'm suffering F1 withdrawal........come on March.

President of Club Polk