Formula One 2018

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited September 2018
    Yeah sorry, I thought you meant practice 1, I didn’t watch 2.

Hamilton's pole lap was amazing!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NP, todays race was a breeze for Hamilton, Vettel and the boys seem to lost their mojo of late. Not sure what Perez was on, but Charlie Whiting is not playing games with these boys anymore.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    Wonder what Comcast's outbidding Disney for Sky will do for F1 TV coverage?
  • pay per view!!!!!! and that will kill it off here in the states
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Bottas takes Pole
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Ok, so I love racing sports, but the only one I can get is NASCAR (which, by the way, I do enjoy, but I like F1 a lot more). How do you guys get F1? Is it on the air? Cable? If so, then I’m outta luck, unless there’s another way.

Find F1 tv pro to stream live. I think Sky's app offers it too.
  • Talk about a kiss your sister moment, I understand the team championship goal but we all like to see the better man win. Hamilton was handed a victory, Rosburg would have never done this, but I guess that makes Bottas a better man.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    The current state of F1 has lost it's lustre for me. I much rather watch You tube vids of races from my favorite era ,late 80's to 90's.
  • F1nut
    Talk about a kiss your sister moment, I understand the team championship goal but we all like to see the better man win. Hamilton was handed a victory, Rosburg would have never done this, but I guess that makes Bottas a better man.

Monaco 2016, Rosburg was ordered to let Hamilton pass and did so.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    FTGV wrote: »
    The current state of F1 has lost it's lustre for me. I much rather watch You tube vids of races from my favorite era ,late 80's to 90's.

I agree. The days of Senna and Prost were on another level.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    joecoulson wrote: »

I agree. The days of Senna and Prost were on another level.
    I was a big Mansell fan. While he may not have had the pure skill of the other two his take no prisoners, aggressive never give up approach was fun to watch.

• F1nut
    Ya'll must have missed Hamilton's pass on Vettel or Max's drive from 19th.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Max looked great. It was strange that he seemed to not get a lower lap time with the hypersoft tires.
  • F1nut
    That's because he knew 5th was it and dialed back to save the engine.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Oh, I see. Well, it would've been nice to see him have a podium finish considering how well he was racing.
  • BMF35
    F1nut wrote: »

Theory or did someone in Red Bull's camp fill you in?
  • F1nut
    Fact

President of Club Polk

• BMF35
    edited October 2018
    Fact

Source? Max text ya after the race or get it from higher up in the RB food chain?
    Post edited by BMF35 on
  • F1nut
    I'm not in the habit of saying things unless they are fact.. Google is your friend since you're having such a hard time believing me.

President of Club Polk

• I would agree

Pretty sensible move given all the engine trouble the team has had
  • BMF35 wrote: »

Theory or did someone in Red Bull's camp fill you in?

F1nut is right. It's a fact. Typically with only 5 races left saving engines wouldn't be a big concern. With only 5 engines allowed now they are probably trying to avoid a new engine penalty. I don't know that as fact. Just experience.
  • BMF35
    I just wanted to know if it was from his own logic and what does make sense or if it came from Red Bull or someone inside F1? Did Horner tell him to back down or did Max decide on his own? Another know-all says Max hit the hyper-softs too hard and over heated them making them useless so he backed down to stay out of the hospital. There's some logic to that reason too and he claims he read it on the internet so it has to be fact.

F1 magazine this month shows and details the 2019 FIA front and rear wings to 'help level the field' and 'promote overtaking' by allowing the following car to have usable air. Current cars have more aero on them to disturb the wake behind the car than they do for actual downforce and engineers admit it. These are the first steps in everyone racing in the same spec'ed chassis. Halo, floor, side pods, engine cover, diffuser, and all to be FIA design. Saying F1 is in no way SPEC racing is false and has been for a while.
  • F1nut
    JHC, Horner told him to back off to save the engine and F1 is NOT spec racing. Indy Car most definitely is.

President of Club Polk

• F1 is closely and highly regulated but it's far from Spec racing.
  • Clipdat
    Practice at Suzuka looked interesting! I like this relatively narrow course! I've raced it several times myself in Gran Turismo.
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Practice at Suzuka looked interesting! I like this relatively narrow course! I've raced it several times myself in Gran Turismo.

Drivers genuinely love racing at Suzuka. Was your GT history as an independent or a sponsored team?
  • BMF35
    Sad but F1 is going more specific than we'd think. Even sadder, they're wanting it to be more comparable to NASCAR with cars lined up drafting each other like a freight train. They think it will bring better wheel to wheel racing and bring in more fans.
    Some of the new aero restrictions are aimed at more open body work for more sponsor logos. 2021 is when the entire car is going to be more Indy-ish with the FIA giving the basic dimensions for all body and aero design. Also says in 2019 the brake cooling ducts in current cars are banned cuz they're forcing air outward away from the car hurting the car following.
    More about all of this and other info like Miami got approved for a street course race is in the Aug F1 Racer magazine. Liberty has a whole new outlook to try to make F1 more profitable by leveling the playing field, tire to tire racing, NASCAR-like following, and more sponsors on the cars and in commercial breaks.
  • IMO, F1 and NASCAR in the same sentence is like root canal and ice cream in the same sentence. None the less, F1 is highly regulated as said but it's still not spec.

I do agree with the thoughts some have expressed over the years about an unlimited open class with maybe 6 races a year. That will bring in new interest and fans while letting manufacturers highlight their R&D and innovations. Some manufacturers, Koenigsegg for example, don't race because as Christian said, "Who wants to go backwards?" Imagine where things would be today if innovations like STP's turbine car hadn't been outlawed?

Besides, is there really anything wrong with a class that's only open to those willing to spend the money needed to participate? Pay to play?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Hey, NASCAR isn’t like a root canal. It sure ain’t F1, but it’s still enjoyable IMO. :)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Hey, NASCAR isn’t like a root canal. It sure ain’t F1, but it’s still enjoyable IMO. :)

PFFFFFFTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

nw5o1ghftn60.jpg