Front presence speakers?

I am thinking about installing the RCS II speakers at the top left and right of my room to use as mains while I finish up my half bath and flooring (will free up floor space during the reno) and once it is complete use them as front presence speakers.

What is everyones thoughts on front presence?
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    They are now called atmos speakers I believe. I did that. Used my def techs as mains for a while, that got old for music but was decent for movies with a good center and sub. Now they serve as atmos speakers. I don’t know that I would bother with installing them if the only purpose was for atmos, but for what you are doing it’s worth it if you’ll use them as mains for a while imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    Right, I would probably use them as mains for 6 months or so and maybe off and on in the future...

Will see if anyone else has any good experience with front presence
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    My wife states that I have good front presence....she seems to be happy with the experiences.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    treitz3 wrote: »
    My wife states that I have good front presence....she seems to be happy with the experiences.

Tom

She actually meant she wanted presents up front, like a new purse or shoes
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

She lies.....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Well about 20yrs ago Yamaha had several AVR's that had front presence speaker capabilities and maybe height. Seems they were way ahead of the curve back then.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    If you can a 5 or 7.4 atmos

You’ll be very happy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,481
    edited August 2018
    I loved them. Even before Atmos and DTS X.

Because of atmos and X i installed cealing speakers above my seated position for a 7.2.2 system. However, in the near future im going to be putting my RM7500 sats back up for front presence speakers. I think they make the front stage for HT sound so much better than the atmos and x in my room. It really opens a new dimension in the sound.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,481
    You make a decision yet? Any updates?
  • VR3
    Hmm, I decided with the fonts I had that it didn't make sense to me...

I did change my rear ceiling surround with dual tweeters that fire different directions
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    They are now called atmos speakers I believe. I did that. Used my def techs as mains for a while, that got old for music but was decent for movies with a good center and sub. Now they serve as atmos speakers. I don’t know that I would bother with installing them if the only purpose was for atmos, but for what you are doing it’s worth it if you’ll use them as mains for a while imho...

Yamaha still has presence channels for front and/or rear. I use fronts with my projection screen, since my mains are below the screen. The Dialog Lift feature does a great job of moving the dialog to center screen.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    Trey...
    Stop forkin with the people here.....

You have already settled upon what you want.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Look at SVS Trey...I just got a pair of ultra surrounds and you would like the build quality.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • VR3
    If I were to do front presence of would be the uiw rcs iii difinitive in ceiling mount. But I would only do that if I decided to put the focals back in the box for an extended duration. That may still happen, in that event I would use them as front presence later once the focal came back in the system.

The svs presence speakers do look very nice for a wall mount design. For a short while I considered the angle speakers to put on top but decided I don't really like that idea. I really want no more than two physical speakers in the room.

Maybe one day 🤔