On a binge again...

1235»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice score buddy!
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Paid a bit more than I wanted, but it was still fair. Just need to find a counter weight for the pro-ject. It's my first "real" table. I'm excited. Can't wait to start the upgrades :D
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Wow they look clean! Nice get Festivus!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    verb wrote: »
    Wow they look clean! Nice get Festivus!

They are, save for the grill snags and some vinyl veneer shrinkage. They'll be getting really wood veneer soon enough.
  • FestYboy
    Guess who's at it again!? This time, I think the purchase warrants a change of my avitar...

And I might actually have to stop buying Polks :o

Pics tomorrow, I'm excited :D
  • FestYboy wrote: »
    Guess who's at it again!? This time, I think the purchase warrants a change of my avitar...

And I might actually have to stop buying Polks :o

Pics tomorrow, I'm excited :D

You do know that it's tomorrow already, so where's the pics?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    You and Dave are leaving me in the dust.

I've got to get my Polk Big Boy search game back on.

Congrats. I'll bet those sound beautiful too!

Did you get a good deal too?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    edited September 2018
    Nice! Well done Festivus! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • I was going to ask if you got those...
  • FestYboy
    Pin/blade for that price, I couldn't stop myself...
  • FestYboy
    Ok, need some opinions: I have at my disposal a few bigger NAD amps (2200 PE and up) and an Adcom 545 to use on the 2.3s... Which should match better? Eventually I'll get more amp (like a 555, or something in the 200wpc range), but I'm itchin to get these guys bumpin'.

Also the itch to upgrade is strong, but needs to be done in stages, so where would you start and why? Please note that ALL mods will be done including a Dreadnaught, I'm just looking for an order in which to do them.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Ok, need some opinions: I have at my disposal a few bigger NAD amps (2200 PE and up) and an Adcom 545 to use on the 2.3s... Which should match better? Eventually I'll get more amp (like a 555, or something in the 200wpc range), but I'm itchin to get these guys bumpin'.

Also the itch to upgrade is strong, but needs to be done in stages, so where would you start and why? Please note that ALL mods will be done including a Dreadnaught, I'm just looking for an order in which to do them.

Can't comment on the NAD but my GFA545 (mk1) sound fantastic paired with my SDA2Bs. A lot of control in the bass and not bright until it needs to be. Ran with a Denon PRA1200 preamp which is pretty neutral.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

well they never made them in Blade/blade :smile:
  • FestYboy
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

well they never made them in Blade/blade :smile:

:o:p

These are my first pin/blade anything, so I got excited. I finally get to build and use a Dreadnaught :D
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Art is ugly. His wife is gorgeous.
  • FestYboy
    edited October 2018
    @lightman1, you're right, she is :)

Art is my old man, first pic. You never see the man behind the camera.

BTW, the camera man isn't married... Waiting on Russ to propose is taking forever...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I tested the 2.3TLs I had out after rebuilding them on an HK3480 and they sounded amazing.

While they really open up with oodles of good clean power, moderate good clean power has a way of making them shine as well.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I tested the 2.3TLs I had out after rebuilding them on an HK3480 and they sounded amazing.

While they really open up with oodles of good clean power, moderate good clean power has a way of making them shine as well.

I have heard both iterations of this speaker....

I have already f*cked up Ryan by just saying there is a balance shift......
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742

If you are planning on TL, I would start with some cheap caps (the originals are cheap) for the TL mod and replace the tweeters. Otherwise get RDO-194's. Or maybe you got a rare batch of SL2000's that are not as harsh. No matter what you do, replacing the tweeters are an improvement. That said, I don't mind the SL2000's that much for shorter term listening or as background sound. Even at high volumes they are ok as background sound, but now that I am using speakers that have RD0's or SL3000's I find them more pleasing even as background sound.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pkquat wrote: »

If you are planning on TL, I would start with some cheap caps (the originals are cheap) for the TL mod and replace the tweeters. Otherwise get RDO-194's. Or maybe you got a rare batch of SL2000's that are not as harsh. No matter what you do, replacing the tweeters are an improvement. That said, I don't mind the SL2000's that much for shorter term listening or as background sound. Even at high volumes they are ok as background sound, but now that I am using speakers that have RD0's or SL3000's I find them more pleasing even as background sound.

Forget that TL thing for the 2.3 SDA. You would need all new MW6510 speakers which the 2.3 only uses 2 of. it is a completely different crossover as well.

I'd just get some Gimpod boards and do the cap, resistor and inductor upgrade. They're very nice speakers on their own. Get some RD-0194's in them and go from there.
  • FestYboy
    I'm getting the feeling that it's a close race between new XOs and 194s as the first mod... Kinda surprised Jesse @F1nut
    hasn't chimed in yet. Need his direction on some repairs/refinishing as well.

The side panels are pulling away on one of them, and I was thinking about some burled hardwood replacements, but cosmetics are at the bottom of the list.
  • verb
    194's are quick and easy. Very noticeable improvement. 1st mod I plan to do on my SRS's. But I have to buy 8 of em! :smile:
  • FestYboy
    6 RD0s puts me at 2/3 of my initial investment... I suspect when all is said and done, I'll be in for 4x initial cost... Still worth it.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    pkquat wrote: »
    Forget that TL thing for the 2.3 SDA. You would need all new MW6510 speakers which the 2.3 only uses 2 of. it is a completely different crossover as well.

I'd just get some Gimpod boards and do the cap, resistor and inductor upgrade. They're very nice speakers on their own. Get some RD-0194's in them and go from there.

In that case, 194's.

The more I think about it though, the first thing that needs to be done is to build that mansion (museum) for all the speakers and listening rooms for each. :p
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    A lot depends on how much use / abuse they had. Mine sounded drab and muffled at first so it was pointless to go with the RDO's so I rebuild the crossovers first. Once they were burnt in the stock SL 2000's sounded quite good. Haven't had time to update them yet.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus