OPPO is officialy out of stock!!!

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Oppo just took a page from Elon Musk's playbook -- or (more likely) vice versa.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/29/technology/business/elon-musk-tesla-sec-settlement/index.html

On the the other hand, any crazy markups on NOS Oppo components isn't finding its way back to Oppo's (or to whomever owns the brand's) metaphorical pockets.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    I sold my NIB 205 for $1800 - listed for 10 mins.
    [
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I sold mine in 12 hours for 2800...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    I hope to sell mine for a million dollars in like 20 years. :D>:)

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I just got a 205, must've been one of the last. B)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Are they really that good to pass up that much profit? I mean audio is nice but cash is king.

My wife wants me to sell mine, but she got it for me as a gift... yes they are that nice.

That sentimental touch plays into it as well. I'm just someone who has never listened to a proper quality CD player. I have learned there are levels to everything and I know that applies for players.

I have a 10k Krell CD player here with your name on it... :p;)

You gotta deliver. I’m not that far away, 6 hours and you get to see my ugly mug! How can you resist?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    People making money...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Are they really that good to pass up that much profit? I mean audio is nice but cash is king.

My wife wants me to sell mine, but she got it for me as a gift... yes they are that nice.

That sentimental touch plays into it as well. I'm just someone who has never listened to a proper quality CD player. I have learned there are levels to everything and I know that applies for players.

I have a 10k Krell CD player here with your name on it... :p;)

You gotta deliver. I’m not that far away, 6 hours and you get to see my ugly mug! How can you resist?

Money talks... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited October 2018
    Sorry but buying something for many times the MSRP just because a company stops making them is foolish at best.

Oppo was good.............but not $3400 good (current Amazon price) for a 205. Maybe if Oppo sold them for that in the first place they wouldn't have quit making them. But at that price no one would have bought them originally. So why would you pay that now?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    delkal wrote: »
    So why would you pay that now?
    Supply, meet demand. It is what it is.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    It's only foolish to those who wouldn't spend the money, I for one wouldn't spend that kind of coin on one but It's not my place to say how one should spend their money..
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A few years ago there were a couple of high end companies that shoved an Oppo in a box of their own design and marketed their own Blu Ray player for around what the 205s are going for now. If one of the big companies were to put out a 4K player with the build quality and features of the 205 I think it would have a sticker price in stores around $2500 because that's how the industry works. The 203 equivalent would probably sell for around $1000. I would like to see Marantz do one though!

Even as things were, I don't think the 205 was selling well because I was in a Best Buy/Magnolia earlier this year and the sales guy said they had 60 of them sitting in their regional warehouse.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Ayre did that Emlyn but they also re-worked the board and put in a huge bank of caps. They didn't just re-badge it like another company. I learned a long time ago from Steven Sank (Sony ES guru) that you can increase the capacitance by gobs around the D/A chip you can elevate its ability that you can definitely hear a better presentation.
  • jayu969
    jayu969 Posts: 112
    Wow...lots of coin!!