Very First Concert you attended - best me..

1235»

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Garbage, The Distillers and No Doubt was my first. Pretty good show.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    @stretchl, I was at the U of I from ‘68 to ‘73. Majored in geology.

Mike (Max is a longer story).
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    1974 James Gang at the Mississippi River Festival. Any of you StL area Midwesterners remember that venue?
    [
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    april 1972
    "Soft White Underbelly" (BOC) & Fleetwood Mac opening for Alice Cooper at the Commack Arena.

Ah the Commack Arena "lights on , fights on" at the end of every show that I saw there.
  • miner wrote: »
    1974 James Gang at the Mississippi River Festival. Any of you StL area Midwesterners remember that venue?

I wanted to go, but at age 14, had no way to get there.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/archives/looking-back-at-the-glory-days-of-the-mississippi-river/collection_8180e33b-cc6c-5224-98f7-f93aa1505595.html#1

SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Country Joe and the Fish, free outdoor concert in Monterey Ca. Summer '72
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    miner wrote: »
    I definitely remember it, went to many concerts there. I think Richard Pryor was the last performance I saw there. My brother and his friends worked at Kiel Auditorium, so I saw quite a few concerts in the early 70's.
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    '76 I was in 6th grade but went with an older brother and his hoodlum friends. The old 'Seattle Coliseum' aka Key Area (about to be torn down). Double bill - ZZTop & Foghat - can't remember who opened first!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I bet that was a loud concert
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Chicago 1971 at the Greenville Memorial auditorium in SC. My folks bought me tickets for my 9th birthday. Dropped my and a friend from up the street off to see the show. It was awesome.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Needless to say, I believe I have been bested many a time here. I will fade into the woods and remain JoeCoulson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Needless to say, I believe I have been bested many a time here. I will fade into the woods and remain JoeCoulson

Who? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Who Live is awesome
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Glenn Miller in 1938 at some hotel in the Catskills.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2019
    Well in the 70's we had several concerts at my elementary school in Detroit. The highlights were the Grammy Award winning gospel group The Clark Sisters as well as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Also, I'd gone to see Ella Fitzgerald who's piano player at the time the late great Tommy Flanagan (also has played with John Coletrain, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Coleman Hawkins, and everyone else; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flanagan_discography ) is actually my wife's uncle.

However, the first largest arena concert I attended in '77 was the Parliament Funkadelic at the Olympia Stadium in Detroit (Where the Detroit Red Wings used to play).

What a spectacle! The mothership landed, the Bop Gun flew over the crowd, the drum solo with fire on his sticks, the smell of cannabis from the beginning to the end, etc, etc. I was only 10-11 years old and what a musical P-Funk wake up that was.

Olympia Stadium
    oldfront.jpg?itok=gjKlz5sY1978-04-01olympia.jpg?itok=7LrHvVLP
    Gary Shider shooting the crowd with the Bop Gun
    tumblr_luo50xMVSe1r533yoo1_500.jpg
    P-Funk Mothership
    b1a4c749cd8ea3dc5af60c5d4a0e9170495b2622.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    Kiss/Judas Priest 1977, Chicago. I was 8 years old.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    REO Speedwagon and Head East 1977. Small venue in Davenport Iowa. Puff Puff Pass...

https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/head-east-reo-speedwagon--2
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    REO Speedwagon and Head East 1977. Small venue in Davenport Iowa. Puff Puff Pass...

Ha! Mine was REO Speedwagon as well just a few years later.

New Year's Day 1979, Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY along with Molly Hatchet & Ambrosia.

I was still in high school back then. Went to UK in 1981 and landed a job at the local AOR station, WKQQ. Went to every single concern at Rupp for free ending with Springsteen on my birthday in 1988. Man I miss those days!!!!
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Pantera opening for the real Black Sabbath (except for the original drummer, RIP) 1999 Key Arena Seattle. Still the loudest I think.
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    CH46E wrote: »
    Pantera opening for the real Black Sabbath (except for the original drummer, RIP) 1999 Key Arena Seattle. Still the loudest I think.

Nice! I was at the first stop of that tour in Phoenix on new years eve. Those two plus slayer, megadeth, and soulfly. Same here, loudest concert I've ever attended. Ears rang for a couple days..
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

I'm confused.. who are you referring RIP to? Bill Ward is still alive, so was Vinnie Paul not drummin in 1999's Pantera?
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Oh wow, when we were at the concert someone mention Ward was dead and that why it was someone else playing drums for that concert. Now I wonder who was playing drums for them that night?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I'm confused.. who are you referring RIP to? Bill Ward is still alive, so was Vinnie Paul not drummin in 1999's Pantera?

• pelhamplace
    pelhamplace Posts: 111
    The Beatles in 1964 at Atlantic City Convention Hall. They sounded great in concert to an 11 year old.