The SDA SRS's have landed at Verb's house!

So today the Mrs and I took a road trip to Grand Rapids Michigan to review and purchase a set of these babies. About a 5 hour round trip. I was happy that she decided to accompany me, and was also supportive. No covert operations needed this time fellas! :smile:

These things are minty! Very clean, the wood trim was near perfect, and the cloth grilles and side panels are flawless. No pilling of any kind, and still glossy. A little separation of the cloth near the top of one grille, easy fix.
a3a4bu0w2dds.jpg

The wood endcaps and side panels are solid oak. No cracking anywhere to be found.
j5tyigo8yk04.jpg

The back panels were remarkably clean as well. The included IC is of the blade/blade type, which tells me they are the 1st generation SRS's.
p9wp0og0pfec.jpg
91u7moiofqxf.jpg
qxf8wy7dqjh8.jpg
Also included were a set of bi-wire jumpers.

Quick examination of the drivers showed no noticeable flaws, rubber surrounds on the PR looked good, no indications of delamination or repair. Not even a dent in any of the dustcaps! Of course stock tweeters, which'll be my first upgrade.
ugo9rcj6zi0p.jpg

The XO faceplate was flawless. No nicks or scratches.
p48bajcbizsq.jpg

These guys are pretty much mint! Needless to say, I pulled the trigger and now they're mine ahem, I mean ours, the Mrs and I of course! :smile:

My new friend, Damon helped me load em into the car. This guy was a big strong dude, he easily pushed the dolley across his backyard from the walkout basement to the driveway.
4y6oc40asb6x.jpg

Loaded up and ready to go. Easily fit in the GMC Acadia. Yes I put blankets in between for protection and reduce any movement.
4tcc4zbde2ti.jpg

The SRS's have landed! In the garage. Now just to get em down into the basement! :smile:
45mispu4xuhr.jpg

OMG these babies are huge! :smile: Verb's household is very happy today!
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Sweet! You never realize just how huge these things are, til you see them next to a person... :D
    Nice speakers man, enjoy them!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks Micah! I've coveted these big guys for a very long time. Ever since they came out in fact. I finally now have a basement large enough for them to breathe!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Glad it worked out.
    Two tips.
    Short the binding post to help get drivers from moving as much as possible.

Traveling on their backs helps keep the magnets from shifting.

Havr to say they look very good. Dome of the early SRS the XO plate would turn kind of purple. Those look great!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    :):pB)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Glad it worked out.
    Two tips.
    Short the binding post to help get drivers from moving as much as possible.

Traveling on their backs helps keep the magnets from shifting.

Have to say they look very good. Some of the early SRS the XO plate would turn kind of purple. Those look great!

Thanks Dog - Yep I had to take the SUV cause of rain, which it did along the way. The Pickup has a tonneau, but not entirely water tight, if you know what I mean. Hopefully no shifting going on. We'll see!
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Very nice score!
    I had to donate my smaller SRSs to a friend (that I regret to this day) when I thought I needed the next size up. They turned out to be way too big for my crib. They pressurized the room too much
    My options were to sell or build an addition . . . I still want that addition and those speakers that Rich/sCompRacer moded

Let the mods begin!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited September 2018
    Who cares about the speakers... inquiring minds want to know what’s under that car cover.... :p

Congrats man.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    btw, supportive wife = major keeper factor . . . Glad she's got yer back, VerbDog
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Nice score! I use an Appliance dolly to get mine in the basement.

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Congratulations
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Sweet. Looks familiar.

NICE ride!!
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    I would have had to lay at least one of them on it's back and drive like my grandma the whole way back hoping none of the other MW magnets shifted every time I went over a bump. Congrats on the purchase and getting them home safely. I still have the rest of the BH5 we splitted somewhere around here if you need any.
  • verb
    edited September 2018
    Confirmed these are 1st gen SRS's. Pulled off the MW's on both sides and they are 6503's. Mfg date of April 1987.

PR test shows 3 seconds before MW settled back in.

One surprise for me is that the MW screw attachments (I'm now assuming all) already has a threaded insert in the cabinet. Not like the 1C's where I went with the hurricane nut upgrade.
  • verb
    BMF35 wrote: »
    I would have had to lay at least one of them on it's back and drive like my grandma the whole way back hoping none of the other MW magnets shifted every time I went over a bump. Congrats on the purchase and getting them home safely. I still have the rest of the BH5 we splitted somewhere around here if you need any.

Yeah! I'll take it brother! PM me the details. :smile:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    They came stock with threaded inserts.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    verb wrote: »
    Confirmed these are 1st gen SRS's. Pulled off the MW's on both sides and they are 6503's. Mfg date of April 1987.

I believe a count of the screws on the XO plate is another way to confirm.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited September 2018
    Those are sweet in nice condition, what you give for em? I have had a couple of chances on a pair of these but never got them. The ones I passed on were in rough shape nowhere near as nice as those. I often wonder how these when modded compare to a pair of 2.3tls. Enjoy your new SRS's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Those are sweet in nice condition, what you give for em? I have had a couple of chances on a pair of these but never got them. The ones I passed on were in rough shape no where as nice of those. I often wonder how these when modded compare to a pair of 2.3tls. Enjoy your new SRS's.

I've heard this more than once from many folks.
    2.3tl's are a more musical speaker even after both have upgraded XO's
  • verb
    1 large, he was asking $1200.
  • verb
    verb wrote: »

I believe a count of the screws on the XO plate is another way to confirm.

I read on @gimpod's site that there was a transitional 1.2 that still had the 13 bolt XO plate, but used the MW6511 for the dimensional drivers.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Congrats on the SDA SRS's ! Extremely well cared for. Probably an old geezer like me owned them. :)
  • verb
    Another thing I noticed - no feet! Spikes here we come. Anyone know what thread size that is? 1/4-20? Lazy question, long day. :smile:

BTW I got a chuckle reading some threads about the bass brace. Now I gotta check to see if I have a threaded insert on the back.

No insert! :smile:
  • Congrats on your acquisition, they look amazing for their age!
  • verb
    1/4 x 20 tpi

Thanks Dogg! :smile:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    To use the bass brace you remove the top bolt on the back panel. However, IIRC the bass brace had not been invented until after the SDA SRS was out of production.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    F1nut wrote: »
    To use the bass brace you remove the top bolt on the back panel. However, IIRC the bass brace had not been invented until after the SDA SRS was out of production.

Yep. No bolt on mine. Are you still running yours?
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Great acquisition. :)
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto