7c upgrades

Hello all. New to site but have been reading post for past week. I have pair of 7c that I purchased new in 1988. Have been used as my main speakers since then. Initially as just music but for past 15 years they are my main fronts in a 5.1 system. I am learning that I need to update my caps and resistors due to age. I have tested and cabinets still maintaining air seal. Drivers are not scratchy.

I plan to replace the Sl2000 tweeters and replace caps and resistors. I see some here recommend Sonicap and some recommend Clarity. I have not seen any new threads in past couple years, any recommendations between these 2. Also, what do hurricane nuts improve?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    those are good
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hurricane nuts improve the coupling of the driver baskets to the bezel, which results in a more accurate sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Irishwin wrote: »
    I plan to replace the Sl2000 tweeters and replace caps and resistors. I see some here recommend Sonicap and some recommend Clarity. I have not seen any new threads in past couple years, any recommendations between these 2. Also, what do hurricane nuts improve?

People have their individual preference but either Clarity or Sonicaps will sound great in a rebuild. In reality even the cheapest Dayton film caps will sound better than the old electrolytic caps. It becomes a trade off of what your time is worth to do the upgrade vs the cost of the caps vs potentially getting a little better sound in the long run. There is no correct answer but be assured what ever you do will sound better than 30 year old stock.

I never had a problem with my Monitor 10Bs with the Sl-2000 tweeters till I got an even older well used pair of Monitor 10As with the Peerless tweeters. The 10As blow them away. You might want to experiment with changing the tweeters to the RDO194s before you upgrade your crossovers. You will eventually want to do both but I I think the tweeters are be more important.
  • I really appreciate the input. Thanks guys. I got my 7c's for graduation and have loved them. I built my home theater around them and matched up my system with polk center and surrounds. By finding this sight, i have learned a lot and value everyones passion and knowledge.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    When you call Polk to order RDO tweeters mention you are a member of Club Polk for the Club discount.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Irishwin wrote: »
    Also, what do hurricane nuts improve?

Mainly durability...the American Medical Association was recommending these for all males in the Carolinas as recently as just a few weeks ago!

Welcome to Club Polk, Irishwin. Stick around...learn....contribute...share...make friends...etc., etc. Love the Monitor 7s, I have a pair of fully-modded ones myself.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    A timely thread as I have some 7C's that I plan on working on when the weather hits.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears