Can't figure it out but didn't want to get "too" crazy".

So let me paint a picture.

Car: 09 Corolla
Amps: 4 Channel class D, 2 Channel class D bridged to 4ohm subwoofer

Wiring: 8g power wire (x2) running through bolt down fuses (60A for the 4 channel and 80A for the 2 channel). Grounds are separate and screwed to the chassis in the trunk, paint scraped off for better conductivity. RCAs ran on opposing sides of car to trunk.

Sub: Polk 12inch MM SVC

Issue: For the last couple months I have had an odd noise coming from the subwoofer. It sounds like white noise with popping here and there, sometimes it is there sometimes it goes away (can post video if it helps). I immediately though of a grounding issue as I removed the RCAs from the 2 channel amp and the noise remained. I moved the ground 3 times to no avail.

Looked at the power wires leading from the battery and the 2 channel had a highly oxidized wire, I mean this wire looked grey instead of copper so I cut it off and reseated it properly. That did not change the issue and it remained. I don't want to rip the whole install out and redo it all however I have a feeling this is wiring related.

I did not do the initial install, it was done by a reputable installation center local to my area. If it was my call I would have ran a 4g power and ground to distribution blocks then 8g out to my components as I feel there is less points of failure.
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    What's to say the 2 ch amp hasn't failed? Have you checked the board for corrosion?
  • Same with car running or not?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited September 2018
    Same with car running or not?

Indeed. Could be the amp but my experience points me to that being the last ditch component that has gone out.

I have been just living with it, not too concerned about the sub getting smoked. I'll just buy a new one. Im apprehensive to pull the install out as I'm not "graceful" with car parts. See this wasnt an issue on my cars as I didn't care but this is the other half's vehicle.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Sounds like amp failure to me.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Where is the amp grounded?

I would check that before I threw away the amp.

I've found through my many, many years with car stereos that people will ground stuff, poorly, in the worst places.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas wrote: »
    Where is the amp grounded?

I would check that before I threw away the amp.

I've found through my many, many years with car stereos that people will ground stuff, poorly, in the worst places.

Yeah ground was my thought initially as well. I have it grounded in the trunk to the chassis. I changed grounding points already, made sure to scrape paint off etc etc.
    Sounds like amp failure to me.

Possibly but considering this amp is only 2 or 3 years old I don't think that's the case. Doesn't mean it isn't a component failure in the amp but it is built well enough I want to look other places first.

• Maybe there is a loose nut behind the steering wheel?

:D:D:D
    Just kidding...

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Maybe there is a loose nut behind the steering wheel?

Just kidding...

I haven't ruled it out :p

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Maybe there is a loose nut behind the steering wheel?

Just kidding...

I haven't ruled it out :p

good man keeping an open mind...
  • A true troubleshooter!

• No one is exempt from the ID10T code. Especially not this guy who looks for the remote that is in his hand.

• I wanted to find something that will run 5-600 watts RMS into 4 ohm to push the sub to it's RMS level. I might just binge on a used Kenwood KAC-7204 bridged which should bring me to where I want to be.

If the problem remains I have no choice but to rip the whole install out and do it myself...the way I want it to be.