Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE DAC

machone
machone Posts: 1,471
edited September 2018 in Going Digital
A couple of years ago I was researching linear power supplies for my Quantum Byte when I found the Mojo Audio website and a power supply for $50. Well that $50 turned out to be and additional output for an existing power supply. Add another zero for the cheapest used power supply. I corresponded with the owner Benjamin Zwickel and found that they offer 45 day no questions asked trials with only shipping to and from as the cost of the trial. I still have the Joule v5.0 today.

Over the last two years I have been watching his progress with DACs. His website explains his views about digital and I won't get into those details. There is a ton of good info on his website.

He has won numerous awards especially with his latest the Mystique v3 DAC.

Awarded "Golden Ear 2018" by The Absolute Sound
Awarded "Blue Note 2018" by Enjoy the Music
Awarded "Star Component" by Audiophilia
Awarded "Product of the Year 2017" by Audiophilia
Awarded "Best of Show" at RMAF'17 by The Absolute Sound
Awarded "Best Sound: cost no object" at AXPONA'17 by The Absolute Sound

Well, I did not spring for the v3 :# but I did get a good deal on its predecessor a used v2 SE.

5b7dms3v2f27.jpg

This is a no frills DAC designed to stay turned on indefinitely. It is non-oversampling up to 24bit-192KHz with no DSD, one USB input and an RCA output.

nsgg2whdb2mb.jpg

I built a VH Audio Flavor1 power cable for it and have been burning them in together for over 400 hours.

v7738g9cl2oz.jpg

The music that this DAC sings is amazing with recordings both good and bad benefiting. There is incredible detail with a natural delicacy that I have never heard with digital. At the same time the music is powerful and balanced. It unravels simple to complex passages with ease. The sound stage is enormous in width, height and depth. The noise floor must be very low as notes seem to appear out of nowhere yet are connected by the ambiance of the room.

It just sounds real !!!!

I won't be sending this one back either. :)

kdd91g6z8hy7.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
Post edited by machone on

Comments

• machone
    I continue to listen to the Mojo. I have been switching back and forth between the Mojo and my Marantz SA8005.

Before the Marantz disc player out performed the Marantz's usb input.
    Now the Mojo out performs the Marantz disc player.

But what I find interesting is if I compare note for note or short passage for short passage the Marantz seems to be more detailed or maybe there is an edge that stands out. The difference is that the Mojo draws me in and I end up listening to the entire song rather than a short passage.

It is addictive.

Also playing music at a lower volume is very satisfying with the Mojo.

I still feel there is a slight veil with the Mojo. Maybe it's Windows? Mojo recommends Linux as well as many on the forum.

Anyway, I continue with the 45 day trail and all is good.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Here are some internal photos of the Mojo.

Nice components!

5601taclh1yg.jpg
    v9lfwzqnxt8l.jpg
    7kx3viwohapd.jpg
    xm6iwisg47he.jpg
    bvb8amnqau8t.jpg

B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I bet it IS nice! I recently got my first external DAC and am loving it. Just sounds so much nicer. Smooth, to sum it up in a word.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    From those photos, the first thing that jumped out at me, after all the caps, was the meticulous build quality. Those beefy RCA jacks and their connections to the board, and everything else. Looks like very nice quality, neatly and consistently placed
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    This DAC continues to impress.

Hard to explain. I no longer listen for details. Now it is an emotional connection that draws me into the song and it is not limited to any one group or style of music.

I wish I could get some "trusted" ears on this. I think it is special.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    machone wrote: »
    I wish I could get some "trusted" ears on this. I think it is special.

I want to hear it, but I wish it had a coaxial digital input.
  • machone
    Thanks Skip
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    edited May 2019
    I wanted to update this thread with my latest.

I have been upgrading the source feeding the Mojo V2 DAC.

In the past I have been running JRiver on the Quantum Byte with local music stored on a micro SD card. I control JRiver with their Gizmo app using my cell phone. Tidal is used for streaming but I have to use my keyboard/mouse/monitor for control. Plus I have trouble with clicks and pops streaming Tidal. I decided to make a change.

I decided to play around with a RPi3+. I selected Picoreplayer as my player. I am using the Squeezer app to control both local music and Tidal using my cell phone. I tweaked the RPi by declocking and isolating CPUs.

Then I loaded Logitech Media Server on three different computers.

1. Loaded LMS onto the RPi with a Samsung SSD USB drive for local music storage. This combo came in second with music a little thin.

2. Loaded LMS into a Windows desktop with local music stored on a standard hard drive. This combo came in last with music sounding muddy.

3. Loaded LMS onto the Quantum Byte with local music stored on a micro SD card. This combo yields the best sound.

Next I upgraded my Mojo Joule 5v power supply with a second 5vdc output to power the RPi. This improved the sound but there was a issue with noise during quiet passages. The Quantum Byte and the RPI had to be powered on two completely separate power supplies. The Joule 5v second output is cascaded and not completely separate.

So I traded the Joule 5v in for an Illuminati v3. The Illuminati has two separate power supplies. I was really surprised how much of an improvement the Illuminati is over the Joule. The Joule is a very good power supply.

612abm9el7tg.jpg

The result of all these changes are greatly improved sound, rock solid stability and ease of control.

Very happy.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4