I was thinking...

123457»

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I like the looks of the Pi 1 and Pi 2. And they are cheap! I can afford buying them brand new!
    The kits come with drivers and the components for the XO, right? I assumed as much, but their website is super confusing. If any of you guys know, that would be handy. I’ll continue to see what I can find, thanks!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited July 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    I think you could enjoy classic Polk monitor series speakers very much. monitor 7's. even 5's. Or the Polk S series. S6's or S8's would rock your world probably.

I’ve looked into the vintage Polks, but I’ve also heard they have a laid back treble, although I don’t know how true that is. Once again, I’ve never heard them, so I wouldn’t know.

If they have the stock SL1500, 2000 or 2500 they are not what I would call laid back. They do a lot well though, I have had two pairs of 5s and I honestly loved them. The midrange was something special, I drove them with a 40w Marantz integrated that was past the "Good years" and they STILL sounded fantastic.

*Edit - Paradigms also seem to lean more on the forward treble sound at least in my experience (90P towers). If you were in AZ I honestly would give them to you....that way I can make the excuse I need a new 2 channel HT system XD
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mlistens03
    So, I’ve found that on my Sony integrated (STR-D715, which I believe is two models below an ES) the Missions surpass the Polk’s in a lot of different ways, including sound stage, although I don’t have a cable anymore as mine broke so that’s no indication. But basically, I think the problem wasn’t my speakers, but the electronics I had behind them. The Polk’s were more forgiving of the low end Technics than the Missions. That’s not to say all your suggestions here are wasted, because if I ever decide to upgrade my speakers, there are now some speakers I would immediately go to this thread and buy one of the speakers mentioned here.
    The Missions are performing in ways I’ve never heard any speaker (that I can recall) on this Sony. That said, it’s been a long time since I’ve been to a HiFi shop, and last time I did, my ears weren’t as good as they are now. But at least as far as I can remember, these Missions have surpassed everything I’ve heard before in clarity, depth, low end (without the use of a sub) and soundstage. I don’t have a cable for my Polk’s, so I had nothing with amazing sound stage to compare them to.
    I think I’ll go back to separates (courtesy of Russ sending me a H&K pre, thanks again Russ! Review coming when it arrives), and I’ll replace the Crown with hopefully a Parasound or something similar. Then I’ll get cables, stands, isolation pads for my TT, and floor spikes for whatever speakers I stick with. Not necessarily in that order. Then I’ll sit back and enjoy it til the upgrade bug bites again. :wink:
    Thanks for all your help in this, it really meant a lot to me, and thanks for all the help you’ve provided in the past.
    Micah
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    First off, I own a set of CRS's and have heard 3 pairs in my life. Anybody that has heard those speakers hear drop their jaws in amazement! ;)

I knew a guy ( he lives 4 hours away ) who owns or did, I don't know anymore, the same SDA- CRS's and you know what...he said he hooked them up without the interconnecting cable and didn't think they sounded all that great either. :(

He put them in a closet. :s

They had the real wood bar in the front on the bottom too. Really NICE ones!

I told him more than a couple of times to use speaker wire temporarily until he ordered a new cable or made one himself. He refused to even try. :s

Those CRS's are so much more on another higher level of sound reproduction compared to average speakers it's a shame some don't understand what they have.

We all know without a doubt now the SL2000 tweeters can be replaced with superior sounding RD-O194's. Get the replacement tweeters and a CABLE and then you'll see what a sound-field and powerful speakers sound like.

They were 1200.00 a pr. back when because they're worth it! You have some REAL GEMS there in those CRS's! Get the cable first! Speaker wire will do real quick. Just be careful the wires don't tough each other!

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03
    I knew a guy ( he lives 4 hours away ) who owns or did, I don't know anymore, the same SDA- CRS's and you know what...he said he hooked them up without the interconnecting cable and didn't think they sounded all that great either. :(

He put them in a closet. :s

They had the real wood bar in the front on the bottom too. Really NICE ones!

I told him more than a couple of times to use speaker wire temporarily until he ordered a new cable or made one himself. He refused to even try. :s

Those CRS's are so much more on another higher level of sound reproduction compared to average speakers it's a shame some don't understand what they have.

We all know without a doubt now the SL2000 tweeters can be replaced with superior sounding RD-O194's. Get the replacement tweeters and a CABLE and then you'll see what a sound-field and powerful speakers sound like.

They were 1200.00 a pr. back when because they're worth it! You have some REAL GEMS there in those CRS's! Get the cable first! Speaker wire will do real quick. Just be careful the wires don't tough each other!

I know they are real gems, I really do like them, and I’m certainly not getting rid of them. I thought I said I’m still getting a cable, but I looked back in my post, musta forgotten that part. But without the cable, I think the Missions surpass them in every way.
    I did use them with a normal cable to try them, and the sound stage was pretty insane, although it was only for a short time, because I don’t want to think about them falling out and shorting. Even when I used a normal cable, the Missions had better clarity and a sound I liked better. The soundstage was incredible though. I’ll have to decide which I like better once I get a cable. I’m guessing I’ll keep both, because I have plenty of space for them, right now anyway.
    I still think I may end up liking my Missions more, because they are awesome speakers as well. If you ever find a pair, grab them, because they are rare, and they sound really good! All the models are great, except for the 770S, which wasn’t very good, and the 770 Freedom V, which were great except for a peak around 13KHz, similar to the early Polk’s. Of course, I really don’t know which I’ll like more, I’m giving it a 50/50 chance, cause I won’t know til I get a cable.
    Micah
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    I've owned a few Mission speakers and a friend bought a pr. I was eyeing 2+ years ago and I liked all the Missions speakers sound too. They were soft sounding and really nice.

I have an idea of what you're hearing with your Missions.

I wish you could hear the replacement tweeters for the SL2000's. They sound just like the Missions sounded, Soft but detailed. Then the new tweeters break in and more detail comes out.

I personally LOVE the SDA effect. When you hear sound come from behind you or go by you...you know you're listening to something special.

I'm glad you're keeping them for future listening. Real glad. I'm glad to read 50/50 too.

Maybe one day you'll have a proper cable and new tweeters and then do a comparison. But let the new tweeters break-in for 2 weeks or more.

:)B)
  • mlistens03
    I've owned a few Mission speakers and a friend bought a pr. I was eyeing 2+ years ago and I liked all the Missions speakers sound too. They were soft sounding and really nice.

I have an idea of what you're hearing with your Missions.

I wish you could hear the replacement tweeters for the SL2000's. They sound just like the Missions sounded, Soft but detailed. Then the new tweeters break in and more detail comes out.

I personally LOVE the SDA effect. When you sound come from behind you...you know you're listening to something special.

I'm glad you're keeping them for future listening. Real glad. I'm glad to read 50/50 too.

Maybe one day you'll have a proper cable and new tweeters and then do a comparison. But let the new tweeters break-in for 2 weeks or more.

:)B)

That’s the plan. I want to get new tweeters, but the price is pretty high. :# totally worth it, I know, it’s been said before, but because of the high price, that may be one of the later things I do.will happen though! Just... not yet. :wink:
  • Tony M
    I know about "not having money to burn" very well. :'(

It makes us have a priority list. ;)

I've been on the fence about buying 4 replacements for my SRS2's. It's been 6 months or even 2 years ago I was thinking about it.

I just bought a yard tool this month. The tweeters will get ordered next month.
  • mlistens03
    I thought I ought to update y’all. I setup the LSi’s a few weeks ago, and they still had that same unengaging sound that I didn’t like about them. I decided there must be something I’m doing wrong, because these speakers wouldn’t have such a following if they were that boring. After doing some research, I found the (incredibly obvious) problem.
    I toed them in so that they were pointing 4ish feet behind me. After doing some research, I found that they are supposed to be pointed directly at your ears. :neutral: fail, on my part.
    Now, they are more engaging than my Missions, and they sound SWEET! They had the accuracy I loved about them, and none of the boring-ness I hated about them. I don’t think I’ll be getting rid of any of my other speakers, and I think I still like my Missions a lot more, but only because they hold sentimental value.
    Thanks for all your help in this, if I ever decide to get new speakers again, I’ll come back to this thread. Still eyeing those Monitor Audio’s... they look really nice.
    Micah
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Just to clarify, you mean that previously you didn't have them toed in very much, but now you've toed them in more and that's improved things?
  • mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you mean that previously you didn't have them toed in very much, but now you've toed them in more and that's improved things?

Yes. Vastly improved things.