VTL 2.5 PreAmp in the House!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I can tell you with a 100% guarantee that the Rotel isn't on the same planet as the VTL.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Technically they're both currently located on planet Earth!
  • F1nut
    Don't be a richard.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I'm honestly just curious. Personally I would love to hear both of them back to back with one or two tracks that I'm familiar with!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited September 2018
    The Rotel won't hold a candle to the VTL despite the fact that the names rhyme. Not even close.

The Mullard M8162 being the best ECC81 made? That's definitely debatable, but the Rotel vs. VTL isn't.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'll agree also, not even close. As we all know, one upgrade begets another, and that pre will shine even more when it's friends improve also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The 84/85 on the Brimar's are NOT year but the test numbers. So they are probably just fine vintage tubes.

Yep. Got it. Tube newbie lesson #1 :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    halo wrote: »
    My 2.5 had the full complement of NOS Mullard tubes in it and I never had anything else in there. I never felt the need to try anything else as the Mullard tubes sounded so good to me.

Siemens are great tubes but you only have the 1?

According to Andy @ VTS the Brimar tubes are "ok" but nothing special. JJ tubes are Russian IIRC.

Of course, you should roll them through there and decide what you like the best.

Amperex tubes are really well-liked (I have them in my Bottlehead phono pre and I had them in my Modwright modded Sony 9100ES).

I also really like the Ei tubes from back in the day.

Everybody has their favs and it may also have a lot to do with the synergy of how they work with the rest of your gear.

Good luck & have some fun ;)

Hi Vic. The Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7’s get a lot of praise out there. Is that what you’re running?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Tube labels mean very little. The construction and the codes are what identify the tubes origin.

I've seen Valvo tubes have up to 10 different brand labels, but the codes and construction are what tell the story.

So don't get too hung up on a label.

Understood. Lesson #2!
  • verb
    F1nut wrote: »
    I can tell you with a 100% guarantee that the Rotel isn't on the same planet as the VTL.

I can say that the Rotel was a nice step up from my beloved Pioneer SX-V500 used as a pre (bought new way back in the day). Initial impression of the VTL was wow this is a giant leap forward!

Just like the move from the Carver TFM35x to the CJ amp. Huge.

All with help and tutelage from CP members!

Thanks everyone for helping (enabling) me on my journey!
  • verb
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'll agree also, not even close. As we all know, one upgrade begets another, and that pre will shine even more when it's friends improve also.

Yep. It’s called the Rabbit Hole!
  • Clipdat
    verb wrote: »
    I can say that the Rotel was a nice step up from my beloved Pioneer SX-V500 used as a pre (bought new way back in the day). Initial impression of the VTL was wow this is a giant leap forward!

Interesting. If the difference and improvement was that dramatic, I would be even more eager to try a few test tracks on each and hear that improvement for myself. Seems like it would be a real learning experience.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    F1nut wrote: »
    All with help and tutelage from CP members!

Thanks everyone for helping (enabling) me on my journey!

ha...it is what we do best. Bunch of enablers around these parts. Rock on man, glad your digging it. Maybe now, you can put it into your own words, what many of us try to do for others.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2018

Hi Vic. The Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7’s get a lot of praise out there. Is that what you’re running?

No. The Bottlehead Reduction phono pre uses 6DJ8/6922 tubes. I'm using the E88CC / 6922 "BUTT UGLY" Amperex white PQ type, NO LABEL OR OEM LABEL, gold pin tubes from Brent Jesse Recording. The matched pair I received is actually quite nice looking. The tubes have "GE" markings on them.

35393891656_d0fb340663_b.jpg
    Post edited by halo on
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited September 2018
    The JJ's are good to have on hand incase you lose one of the good tubes, but, don't think I'm alone when I say I've never heard a JJ that I liked. The other tubes all have characteristics that just need to be experinced for you to decide whether it sounds best in your rig. That's the fun part.

Congrats on the great new pre.
  • verb
    Yep2 wrote: »
    The 84/85 on the Brimar's are NOT year but the test numbers. So they are probably just fine vintage tubes.

Yep. Got it. Tube newbie lesson #1 :smile:

You hollar @ me?

Never brother! I'ma learnin from ya!
  • verb
    edited September 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

Interesting. If the difference and improvement was that dramatic, I would be even more eager to try a few test tracks on each and hear that improvement for myself. Seems like it would be a real learning experience.

The Carver to CJ was a big noticeable step. Being a novice and all. Just like the Rotel to VTL. Quite noticeable. As you go further, the differences are not as dramatic, I would expect.

I listen to and respect the folks on this forum, as they have most likely "been there, done that". I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, just an enthusiast, who loves this hobby!

Heck, even Jesse had a VTL 2.5 back in the day!
  • F1nut
    kharp1 wrote: »
    The JJ's are good to have on hand incase you lose one of the good tubes, but, don't think I'm alone when I say I've never heard a JJ that I liked. The other tubes all have characteristics that just need to be experinced for you to decide whether it sounds best in your rig. That's the fun part.

Congrats on the great new pre.

I agree, JJ tubes do not sound good.

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I did find that the Mullard CV4003 (12AU7) worked quite well with the 4024.

If your gear Is already warm then it could put it on the cusp, but hard to say.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    So today I had a chance to play with my new toy.

One of my reference CDs - Evanescence "Lost whispers". Amy Lee has such an exquisite voice, among my faves, and the mix of symphonic rock and just plain ole rock n roll makes it a far reaching and enjoyable album.

To get things started, I let the baby warm up for about 20 minutes.

All I can say is wow! Amy Lee is rockin the house!

Her vocals were extremely detailed, such like I had never heard before! I mean, I've played this CD on all my rigs, and this session by far was the most detailed. Ever. The highs were extended and unveiled, and never rolled off like the Rotel did at times. The VTL and CJ combination kept up with her vocals quite handily, with clear detail, they finished when she finished. I actually got goosebumps on a few of her songs (Even in Death, Breathe no More, etc.) of which I've played many, many times before!

Subtleties, including percussion instruments, were more pronounced, and in some cases, actually discovered this time around!

Musical details - wow! :smile:

Soundstage was vastly improved. A lot of up/down and front/back imaging definition like never before. I felt as though I was in the middle of the soundstage, more so than ever, hearing notes that appeared to be right next to my ears.

Bass was tight and controlled, never muddled. I did play Billy Idol's (Flesh for Fantasy) again today, and affirmed my reaction from last night's debut, despite the Jack & Diet Cokes! Plenty of slam for my tastes, and I love bass!

I'm looking forward to getting more familiar with this baby, and playing around with tube rolling, ya know, rabbit hole stuff!

Again, a special thanks to Doug @gmcman, and all others who have offered helpful advice on this next step in my journey! This baby is most definitely a keeper!

Rock On! :smile:

I love that song Flesh for Fantasy . Try Billy Idol's Don't Need a Gun. It will give you goosebumps.......
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • verb
  • verb
    Thank you sir! Lots of tubes out there! :smile:
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    I love seeing guys dip toes into the tube realm. Be careful as it gets addicting. Congrats bud!

I'm outta control! :smile: Amperex Bugle Boys!
    6yne5383vq6p.jpg
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    DSkip wrote: »
    I love seeing guys dip toes into the tube realm. Be careful as it gets addicting. Congrats bud!

I'm outta control! :smile: Amperex Bugle Boys!
    6yne5383vq6p.jpg

Nice!

From what I've researched, those are likely one of, if not the best 12AU7 tubes for that preamp.

Curious to what you think.
  • verb
    Thanks Doug! Yep. Was gonna run your setup for a while, just to get a baseline. Otherwise too many variables too fast.

Newbie question. When I swap out the tubes, I'm powering down, unplugging, but do I let the pre settle for a while? Just want to be careful.