Polk Speaker 5.1 setup opinions

Hello,

First time poster here.

I have always liked Polk Audio products. So when it came time to upgrade I went with PAs. My first set up was RM series with a 2600 center (still in use). The rear speakers were missing from the set so I added the "K" brand (SB1 model) bookshelf for rears. The sub with the RM set has a sticker with RMPS 04927 on it. I cannot identify the actual model. Some help would be good. My next iteration was finding a set of PA RT25I. So I replaced the front satellites from the RM series.

Which leads me to the next step. I'm looking at M60IIs right now for front and moving the RT25Is to the rear. The center and sub are from the RM series still in use. I use a Sony STR-DH550 calibrated. As you can gather I'm on a budget so pricing is a big point but quality for that price is important. I have enjoyed this configuration for some time and live in an apartment but have the opportunity to listen loudly and not disturb the neighbors. The home theater room is 12dx20wx20h.

Sony STR-DH550
Polk RT25I (front)
Polk RM2600 (center)
"K" SB1 (rear)
Polk RM series sub model unknown powered

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Welcome to club polk!

The rt25is are much higher quality than the m60s. Stick with the the former as your fronts. Use the money to save towards a better sub. Polk psw505 is a solid option. But don’t be afraid to look for used and other brands. Older mirage and energy are good subs. Velodyne and def tech also make good subs. And of course SVS and HSU make some of the best, but are pricier and because they are such good quality they are harder to come by used. Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    Welcome to club polk!

The rt25is are much higher quality than the m60s. Stick with the the former as your fronts. Use the money to save towards a better sub. Polk psw505 is a solid option. But don’t be afraid to look for used and other brands. Older mirage and energy are good subs. Velodyne and def tech also make good subs. And of course SVS and HSU make some of the best, but are pricier and because they are such good quality they are harder to come by used. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply rooftop59

Just to be clear Model 60 series II vs RT25Is. You would keep the RT25Is as front? Seems like an apple to orange with bookshelf and floor standing?

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    JustinW wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Welcome to club polk!

Thanks for the reply rooftop59

Just to be clear Model 60 series II vs RT25Is. You would keep the RT25Is as front? Seems like an apple to orange with bookshelf and floor standing?

I have owned a LOT of Polk speakers, including monitor and rti series. The sound quality of the rt25i is FAR superior. And the m60 really don’t dig that deep. Overall sound quality and bass will be much better with the rt25i and a good sub crossed over at 80hz.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    I have to agree with Rooftop that the RT25I despite being books are better suited up front. For one, the RT stands for reference theater. It has a much more forward presence than the monitors, which are a very laid back speaker in comparison. You might say the monitors have a musicality purpose, as their laid back character is very forgiving for less than optimal acoustic conditions.

It sounds like you want a couple of towers to anchor your front stage. But the Sony AVR you have has 2 subwoofer pre-outs. You can add a second sub and have all the bass you need. Since that AVR has a pretty weak amp section, I would not trouble it with having to power floor standing speakers. You will get better sound using bookshelves for the front and surround.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775