ACL Tear - advice on surgery?

Options
rooftop59
rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
edited September 2018 in The Clubhouse
So I blew out my knee at noon basketball on Monday. Luckily it was a clean break of the ACL, sprained the outside ligaments but they will heal on their on, and menisci and cartilage are both find. Docs say knee looks really good overall considering. I turned 40 in April, I’ve been playing in the noon game 2-3 a week for 11 years or so, and last year reduced b ball to twice a week and added f-45 (a lot like CrossFit) twice a week. I’m basically in the best overall shape since my first kid was born almost 11 years ago.

Now my general doc (who is in his 30s) and my ortho (in his 50s I would guess) are pushing hard towards surgery. They kept referring to me as young and fit and mean and lean (hahaha I have never been called that before - more like a skinny white nerd 😂) and said we need to get you back to normal so you can do all the things you are used to doing (including chasing around and wrestling with 4 young kids).

So I have two questions: first, if I do the surgery the ortho recommended the hamstring graft over the other options. What do y’all think about this option? Any experience with it or the others?

Second, one of my best friends blew out one knee in college and the other about 8 years ago. He got surgery on the first but not in the second (which was very similar injury to mine) and he thinks that I should NOT get surgery, just live without an ACL. He says the repaired knee bothers him more than the other kine. He can’t play b ball anymore, but he is a very active mountain biker and does f-45 more than I do. So, would anyone recommend against getting surgery?

Thanks in advance!
Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
Game Room 5.1.4:
Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Listen to the doc.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    Options
    That’s my inclination Jeremy, but he is a surgeon that admittedly likes to cut. We are in similar places in life, would you get it?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    My ex-wife used to be an avid runner. She had knee surgery and she can no longer run. :o She didn't have knee replacement. I think she had her menisci (I like that word!) removed. I would think that these types of treatments have a large YMMV factor involved based on genetics and other variables such as age, weight, health, etc.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Wow yea the menisci is the thin cartilage in the knee between the upper and lower leg. Having that removed would suck! This is very different...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Wow yea the menisci is the thin cartilage in the knee between the upper and lower leg. Having that removed would suck! This is very different...

How could you remove it? It would then be bone on bone no?
    I've had tears in both knees meniscus and surgery to fix both no problems.
    The ACL is very important, I'd be inclined to get a second opinion and go from there. Doing nothing would not be in the cards if it were me. You have a long way to go in life for constant knee problems.

I've BMX'd since i was 13 both dirt racing and tore up the skateparks getting off the wrong side of the bike many times. Trained in Shotokan for 30 yrs. Both are very hard on joints I'm glad i followed the doctors orders. It's kept my going strong.
    I'm 53 and still riding parks once in a while and training in Shotokan 3-4 times a week.

Listen to doctors and make informed decisions.

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    So after re reading I am confused. If the ACL is torn it will not heal on its own, right? You knee will be unstable if it’s not repaired, so I would have the repair.

If it will heal on it’s own, sprained, then no brace it and be careful.

I have a slight tear in my right ACL, (ATV hill climb gone wrong) and it’s not as stable as it could/should be. Happened about 16 years ago and I have lived with it. I have sprained it a few time since; being it’s been easier to do. It doesn’t really limit me much though. Just have to watch it. Still lift and play ball I do know that it will likely need replacing one day if I live long enough. All of the extra movement is causing wear and arthritis I’m told.

So yeah if it’s bad get it fixed. If you think it might be alright try some PT first, you can always have it repaired down the road.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I had to look up Shotokan lol...

The same ortho told my friend not get surgery, and he is still very active...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Yes Jeremy the ACL is dust as the doc said, complete clean break. You can live without it. Lots of football players in the 70s did. My buddy does and he mountain bikes and does f-45 all the time. So you can live without it. But things like football, basketball, and skiing are basically out fo the question if it’s not repaired.

I am definitely leaning towards just getting the surgery. Just looking for other opinions...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Laymen opinions on surgery are like opinions on audio, different strokes for different folks. You might come out like the 10 million dollar man or you might be a cripple. Get a second, third or even a fourth opinion from an ortho doc. Just my 2cents worth of opinion !!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I chose to live without an ACL that I injured in 1975... I played hockey with a brace until my 40's and still today can do all low impact stuff (Biking,swimming, walking. drinking). I really didn't have the option of modern surgery back then and will be getting a total replacement at some point. If I had the chance to when I injured it I would have.... rehab for both is a mother but when you are younger it is easier. Find the best ortho you can find!!!

Go for it.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    How could you remove it? It would then be bone on bone no?
    I've had tears in both knees meniscus and surgery to fix both no problems.

Judging from this video, meniscus surgery is pretty common. 700,000 surgeries annually. 4% of those are repairs and 96% are removals.

You are right about the bone-on-bone aspect, Ivan. Apparently the surgery can be more painful than leaving it alone in many cases. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B99ebcTbRKc
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Wow never knew.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    decal wrote: »
    Laymen opinions on surgery are like opinions on audio, different strokes for different folks. You might come out like the 10 million dollar man or you might be a cripple. Get a second, third or even a fourth opinion from an ortho doc. Just my 2cents worth of opinion !!!

I agree, but I am mainly interested in people’s experience. So Jeremy and Ivan and mike that is helpful thanks.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would get the surgery. I had a torn meniscus and went under the knife and don't regret it at all. Plus you get to take a little nap during the day.

Having a torn ligament is a bigger deal in my opinion. I would compare it to driving with bad shocks on your car but you never get to trade in the car and those shocks can only get worse.

Modern surgery methods are so minimally invasive that it takes days rather than months to recover. Having said that, they could make a mistake and accidentally remove your manhood. When i had my surgery I tricked the surgeon by making mine really, really small. Everything is still intact as far as I can tell.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have been practicing sports medicine for 25 years; PM me. Happy to give advice. Short answer is to get the acl repaired (many different types of grafts) and repair the meniscus if possible.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Recovery and rehab for ACL graft surgery is MUCH LONGER.

https://www.emoryhealthcare.org/centers-programs/acl-program/recovery/rehab-timeline.html

You are in for about a year of recovery/rehab.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    edited September 2018
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    I have been practicing sports medicine for 25 years; PM me. Happy to give advice. Short answer is to get the acl repaired (many different types of grafts) and repair the meniscus if possible.

Hey Shawn I will shoot you a pm, but the meniscus and all cartilage are fine. Only permanent damage is a snapped ACL. Otherwise knee looks good all things considered! Already walking gingerly on it...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Recovery and rehab for ACL graft surgery is MUCH LONGER.

https://www.emoryhealthcare.org/centers-programs/acl-program/recovery/rehab-timeline.html

You are in for about a year of recovery/rehab.

Yea the year of rehab does not sound fun, but I got young kids and a lot of life left and my motto is short term pain long term gain...

Are saying you think that is a better option than the graft surgery???
    Post edited by rooftop59 on
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    At your age the graft... I would do it now if I was younger....

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I would get some more opinions. FWIW. Good luck sir!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • shawn474
    Options
    It’s a no brainer to fix the acl. No need for a ton of consultation or visits. Too many cooks spoil the meal. It’s a very common surgery these days. You basically have 3 choices of grafts:
    1. Cadaver
    2. Patellar tendon
    3. Hamstring
    All have pros and cons. Patellar tendon is considered gold standard but rehab is a bit more intensive. They often won’t know for sure of any damage to meniscus until they scope it. The surgeon will likely have this conversation with you prior to surgery or before they perform the procedure.

If there IS a meniscus tear, repair it all costs if possible. If there is not a tear, that’s best case scenario.

The rehab is ESSENTIAL and often where the surgeries fail. Doing too much too soon is obviously not good. But not doing enough, or having someone who doesn’t perform therapy often on active patients, can be just as detrimental. Get the recovery protocol from your surgeon in advance. Make sure you have full strength and range of motion BEFORE having the acl reconstruction. Having a stiff, weak and swollen knee prior to surgery is a recipe for disaster and a sure fire way to have a failed outcome.

A LOT of people have great intentions on advice and it’s never bad to take everything into account. Not getting the surgery provides opportunity for an unstable knee to give way and could lead to other problems (meniscus tears, chondral defects, etc - Which all can lead to increased incidence of arthritis and possibility for need for future procedures). An isolated acl reconstruction is a common procedure and gives best results for a positive outcome with an educated and informed patient.
    Shawn
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Thanks Shawn thats awesome! My ortho is against the first. And doesn’t like the patellar tendon as much because he says you might develop pain and irritation in the front of the knee when getting down on one knee for instance. So he he is pushing for hamstring graft.

It’s a sports medicine clinic. They have already given lots PT advice, I think they will do good on that front...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • shawn474
    Options
    FWIW, I agree with your surgeon......

Just do me a favor and do not go into the procedure until you have full strength and range of motion. If you do that, after the first week, it will be a breeze.
    Shawn
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    My wife is a former certified athletic trainer who used to work with an orthopedic surgeon, here are her recommendations:

"Get it fixed, but wait at least 6 weeks to allow for joint swelling to subside and full range of motion to return.

Use patellar tendon instead of hamstring. Hamstring is painful to harvest and recovery is long. Patellar tendon provides a stronger graft and a better surgical outcome overall. Playing basketball again is definitely doable after surgery and rehab. If you choose not to have it fixed, the activities that you have previously been doing will be much more difficult or impossible."
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Adrian Peterson, Dalvin Cook, and a couple other Vikings I can’t think of at the moment, used cadaver grafts. Seems to be the choice of professional athletes....

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I can offer no real advice, but will keep you in my prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I had ACL tear 35 years ago. Dr. said to just live with it. So I did. I did not play any sports after that . Only walking and bicycle riding. Had about seven clean up surgeries in the last ten years and just now had knee replacement in December. No regrets. But you should get yours repaired. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Thanks all yes my worry with NOT repairing is that it increases the chances of arthritis and cartilage damage and thus the need for a full replacement. I think repairing now will be better long term...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It's never a good idea to wait until something HAS to be done. Repair it now while you are still young, the recovery will be quicker, with fewer problems later on down the line when you are older and will take longer to recover.

Best of luck.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Well 5 months after surgery I was just released from pt. Advised to wait for full sports for a couple more months. Doc told me I was a “stud” and that I should train some of his high school athletes 😂. I said doc you got to buy me dinner first jeez...at 41 that’s a great way to butter up your patient...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    At 41 and a Doc says that to you...you're definitely showing your ability to overcome and surpass normal expectations of recovery.

I'm always impressed with NFL athletes who have had knee injuries, go through those intense workouts to get their knees strong again. I see them on TV doing things for rehab that I couldn't do with 2 good knees at any point in my life. :# NFL players are super-humans in my eyes!

I haven't had a knee injury but I would think knees are NOT an easy joint to make strong again without suffering.

Every step, twist, squats and other bodily moves seems to involve the knees.

You must have stamina and determination that's higher than most people and the Doc has acknowledged that to you by saying you would make a great teacher for sports injury recovery therapy.

Keep it up!

Keep making that knee better and stronger than it was, if that's possible. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.