Hurricane's direction is looking bad for me.

14567810»

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I've heard helicopters a few times last night and today and also big slow moving cargo planes. I don't know if they are for relief or just normal flights.

The chain saw noises are fewer today also.

I bent over so many times yesterday picking up debris my ham strings are tight as heck today. I hate this feeling! :s I can't go out and bend over a hundred more times to pick up anymore ground debris for a day or so. I might go get the mower and bagger and suck up ground debris in my yard. I can bend over enough to empty a mower's bag into a wheelbarrow I think. ;)

The neighbor's tree cutter's chain saws must've broken last night or something. The guys were using their 4 wheel drive truck to drag huge Magnolia branches out of the back yard using ropes or a chain one or two times. You'd think they would cut them down to size and have the 3 helpers drag them out by hand. One big pile of branches they were dragging out broke the left side of the gate and it's post! They had 8' of clearance so the huge bundle must've been 12' wide or more.

Around noon today, we were watching them drag 12' tree trunk sections out of the neighbors back yard with a 4wheel drive truck and they left a rut from the back yard to the street. They could've easily have been sawed into shorter lengths but they didn't. The saws last night sounded great though. Maybe the boss sent the SAW MEN to another jobsite to get more $$ coming in before somebody else get those jobs.

They did drag a TON of magnolia branches from back there. That tree must've been a lot bigger than I thought. :o

I saw the truck drag a section of that Wild Cherry tree from their back yard. The way it was dragging made thank God again for making it fall into that yard instead of my cottage. It looked really heavy and it was only one 12' section and it was the uppermost section at that tree. Wild Cherry wood IS very dense and heavy as heck.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »
    Thanks for the updates Tony. Hopefully all the folks affected by the storm will have their lives back to normal soon.

I agree with Jesse. Please keep us updated and I think all of the prayers helped.

Best of luck to you @Tony M
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Tony M
    I went to our local burger joint PT's tonight. Just around the corner from my house we see a big crane sitting in this yard stretched to the sky. Couldn't see why at first. We passed the house and on the other side of the roof there were 3 guys on it ( the 8/12 pitch joined a 3/12 pitch section and they were at the junction of that ) and 2 had big chain saws and the third guy was probably supervising. There was a huge tree that had leaned onto the house from the hurricane's wind. ( we later drove by that house after dinner and saw a ton of tree damage on that side street!)

I took some pictures on the way home to show the FOOD RESCUE SET-UP in front of that old K-Mart. Remember, I live right in the heart of this peninsula and I only live a mile from PT's grill, the old K-Mart and trailer park street. If we were still hurting, food and ice wise, we could walk to the Catastrophe Rescue set-up in 5 min. tops. It's that close. :)

There's a trailer park just 4 houses West of our house, also just behind the Rescue set-up in a way. I got a picture or 2 of one side of the circle drive that surrounds it. The crane was finished and I believe the main branch on the house was on the ground beside the crane. Nobody was around there anymore. But all around that house within 3 football fields had a lot of trees damaged for sure! And my house is just 2 blocks East of this area. This was behind the flooded church I showed in earlier pictures. More pictures to follow in a minute.

• Tony M
    Across the street and 2 houses over. They're going to let Duke Energy cut power to his house and cut the tree off of his power line and house. I got a picture or three of his serious predicament today.;
    q7ozr2jxklfy.png
    3u0tqdy0j1mf.png
    My fearless Christian neighbor who boarded up his house across the street and 3 doors down this time, checking for the black ants he saw the other day after it happened.
    pf6p0f662ffv.png
    go33w9uz8niu.png
    It seemed A LOT of Cedar trees tilted over or fell completely. They are old ones though. Maybe they were just weak and brittle.
    OK...Here's some more pics.. The Food and Ice Rescue set-up. It goes back about 3 rows deep too.;
    isb82dibsode.png
    hi83r756on2f.png
    2gao930d428q.png
    dsbmq1koaydh.png
    ij3lr091bfuf.png
    Some of the trailer park war zone;
    lc5le7gd0bf1.png
    qix74gsv4axx.png

Across from the trailer park;
    oo077g99euhf.png
    The house that the needed crane service help.;
    4s3sk8gkzhdt.png
    7lq8eahsyq04.png
    wo9ruq8w4tl9.png
    Across from the house with the crane going toward my house as the crow flies.;
    7bm2tar6r290.png
    ubmdodlyf98b.png
    The church's yard water flooding is receding nicely;
    ak7si4xs4qkb.png

My neighbor's cleaned-up yard coming next...

The tree cutters put there tree sections in front of the neighbors yard who lives across the street. That neighbor, who we know very well, knocked on our door at 6:15PM tonight. I go to the door and he IS PI**ED OFF pretty bad. He knew those guys put this stuff from my next door neighbor's yard IN HIS YARD instead of in front of the yard it came out of!

Picks to come in a minute...

• Tony M
    I see I wrote that the trailer park was 4 houses down from me. I meant to type that it is 4 houses down from the house that needed that crane service's help. That little area really took a hit. Maybe a little twister reeked havoc during the night. :s
  • Tony M
    Tree removal pile that my neighbor across the street was P'd about;
    q3db944thtat.png
    8mx8mbgrux1l.png
    jq2vnpwg4m6x.png
    2v6gsdhzugn7.png
    pahhfhutr0vc.png
    Part of that Wild Cherry tree. It was rotten in the middle! I might chain saw what's left to see if I can remove the rotten stump some how. That will be later though!
    948lz6tza5bp.png
    8sjq6t7jkj1u.png
    dl4vw4l33977.png
    Giant Pine tree slices from a yard across the street and 4 doors down. I think their other hauling truck and shredder were full so they dropped these huge slices here with this other crap.;
    gbchusbxs08r.png
    Magnolia tree top;
    ak2g47c88vou.png
    gans52nehvvr.png
    More Magnolia tree limbs;
    rl6iiorrw18m.png
    t2c06podz0b8.png
    geyr66s6qcy8.png

• Tony M
    The cleaned up yard next door on my driveway side of the house. I thought those guys broke my neighbor's gate post and left side gate, but only the gate was a little busted up. The post looked OK but I didn't shake it. It might be broken and just put back upright for looks. :# ;
    j1ezon8kscwl.png
    jkm8bo2im35n.png
    toxep5yeiedw.png
    bv6fahv59g7d.png
    wiwu10vfr3gw.png
    c9rixtchrf1z.png
    wrlg9qpgi5ws.png
    l5gvcllj7b4h.png
    Some pics. might be redundant , sorry.
    m8bdy03fnfx1.png
    n9bp1qxyutc2.png
    s8dgnjpxrhtg.png
    6eyrpxlnp55t.png
    n3iccgq5djjp.png
    j8ydgjjg5ebo.png
    fgk0ejpuwvno.png
    p9itxlzgz7kn.png
    itfu0dr8ikyp.png
    riiukxhesm04.png
    Look at the height of that pile of crap they put across the street.
    hktviymo3d5n.png
    they almost used up that guy's double lot frontage;
    royr3o1c8h2y.png

• Tony M
    edited September 2018
    Here's that back field I've been taking care of for 25+ years. I cleaned up a lot of debris yesterday in that field. A lot!;
    pqgxnaght8qk.png
    I've tried to keep vines off of the Pine trees but lost the battle for the past 7 years or so. I'll clean the bases this fall I hope.;
    ltc63l8tc2fa.png
    v05h0ghm398y.png
    u92e6yap634h.png
    mi94z4npgsvm.png
    My Crape Myrtles weathered the storm very well. They had some leaves and blooms still on them before the storm. Now they're barren.
    92bnzeo93qud.png

That's about it for a while guys and gals.

I took the whole day off today. I wanted to mow and vacuum up leaves and crap but never got to it. I posted pictures instead. My wife on the other hand, went out and wheelbarrowed some leaves she had raked up the other day, to the back corner of the field like we do in the fall. She told me tonight she should've done like I did and just rested tonight. She got the driveway cleaned up pretty well and also along our front yard at the street. I helped at the front a long the street the other day although she finished it while I went back to that field.

The birds, squirrels, turtles and rabbits and I guess Possums and Racoons like that field too.

It also helps to attract certain types of birds that only hang around a sparsely wooded field for eating and breeding too. That reminds me. The Wild Cherry tree that got snapped off was a regular home for Great Crested Flycatcher birds to nest in near the top. They're rare birds to see for sure. And we had them nesting almost every year. I don't know where they pick next year... :/

They're a ton of trees laying over all over this area and I just can't drive and take pictures at the same time to often. My wife refuses to handle the camera and take pictures while I drive. And she won't drive around and let me take pictures. She doesn't take pictures and NEVER HAS. Frikn WEIRD if you ask me!

I might get out and take some more soon. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the concern you all showed me toward me and my family and home and electronics and speakers. ;):)

We surely dodged a canon ball this time.

I hope and pray all the others who still need help and assistance find all they need in the coming months. May God bless them as he has us. Amen. o:)

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Thanks for all the pics, Tony. Helps us get an idea of the level of damage, as well as how certain areas were impacted more strongly than others.

I'm really glad that you got lucky with the way that one tree broke and got launched into your neighbor's back yard, instead of straight into your cottage/man cave/stereo room. That could've been ugly!
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    I could see my wife saying "those Triton speakers cost HOW MUCH?".... IF I had to tell her we need to file a claim for damages out there. That would be UGLY too. :#:s
  • Tony M wrote: »
    Giant Pine tree slices from a yard across the street and 4 doors down. I think their other hauling truck and shredder were full so they dropped these huge slices here with this other crap.;
    gbchusbxs08r.png
    Magnolia tree top;
    ak2g47c88vou.png

Tony... those pine slices look like they would be perfect for natural outdoor seating around a fire pit.... If I was you, I'd grab them in a heartbeat and then maybe just seal the top and bottom and call it a day.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Got thuper thereal across the street Wednesday. Newly repaired power lines were in play.
    16sp5qpbg9rr.jpg
    Even the other tree guys were impressed
    56ax7w6j7zob.jpg
    This displaced hawk was chilling on in-laws' pecan stump with mate up in oak tree scouting new homesites
    vgdztpm8tr4p.jpg

Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    After making the difficult cuts, this guy shouted to the crew "I hope you guys were taking notes, 'cause I'm done after this one."
    https://youtu.be/4pd1b48IL08
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    Things settled down here a bit yesterday afternoon. Did have a risk that the power plant would flood yesterday. I gassed up jic, but it looks like we might be okay. Very quiet this am. Still looks a bit like a war zone with head-high debris stacks everywhere but at driveway aprons.
    1b4uoh3egy6r.jpg
    b4hxybuifbte.jpg

• Tony M
    edited September 2018
    WOW... :o
    Thanks for showing us those pictures. I heard it was bad, really bad in some areas around here. Are you in the Forest Hills neighborhood or Georgetown neighborhood ?

I can now truly see some of the best Hurricane rescue relief teams are in our area for sure.

Cranes, Bucket trucks that reach to the sky( :o ), Expert Chainsaw operators and Food Prep and Ice serving outdoor relief stations working tirelessly to bring this city quickly as they can , back to safety and livability.

Those are huge, huge piles of debris!!! :o

I have yet to hear the big dump trucks and tractor-trailer dump trucks and grappler crane trucks rumbling through our neighborhoods. I'm sure they're stationed and ready to start hauling and clearing our streets again. Years past, they were as fast as the tree cutters in removing tree sections, logs and branches off of the sides of roads. ;)

I noticed the smell of marijuana every once in a while this past week. I have a couple neighbors who I suspect. :p I'm sure it's another fine way, besides drinking, to deal with this mental stress.

I
  • Tony M

Tony... those pine slices look like they would be perfect for natural outdoor seating around a fire pit.... If I was you, I'd grab them in a heartbeat and then maybe just seal the top and bottom and call it a day.....[/quote]

I don't really have space for a fire pit. The neighbor next door DO have one. I think they might be the fine outdoor furniture type though. But who really knows.

I've had a few hernia surgeries and feel I need 2 more because the stitches have come loose. I can roll those log slices into my yard but my cottage takes up so much of my yard now, there's not much space left. I have that field I take care of but if I have a fire that gets out of hand and the law/fire chief sees that I had a fire pit gathering on somebody else's property and then it burned down another neighbors house or two, I'd probably loose all my savings and my wife's savings too. Quoting Drew, " That would be ugly!"

I appreciate the incite as to the use those log slices could be used for. ;)

• Tony M
    Insight...^^^^DUH.

Well my wife came in last night to tell me there's a crane in our back neighbor's yard doing something.

Sure enough, there was some large tree damage behind the field and the only way to get to it was from our neighbor's drive way. They removed some last night and then some today too. Man I was lucky and blessed nothing fell on my little cottage.
    Here's some picks;
    c5hkzg5jxcwk.png
    m51na9auu4oz.png
    o7kwf3imkniw.png
    This Tree cutting Company had a little bulldozer with grappling teeth on the front. The guy stood on the back. It was very cool to watch him move a big pile of limbs effortless. :) You can just see those aggressive grapplers in the center of this picture.;
    5g9clvqgxe0z.png
    kfmkn17k9gt5.png
    4nxz7s8hbdfj.png

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    I took the whole day off today. I wanted to mow and vacuum up leaves and crap but never got to it. I posted pictures instead. My wife on the other hand, went out and wheelbarrowed some leaves she had raked up the other day, to the back corner of the field like we do in the fall.

Tony you got this marriage thing down pat! Well done sir! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • krazypolk wrote: »
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Scott, you should make your avatar into the other MacGruber.

lcnkg39stnw9.jpg

And have him fall from the Fox Plaza.9mehfs1ijuw2.jpg

xulggbiseiai.jpg
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    One mile from house, I thought about my camera. I forgot to bring it! I knew I was going down into a war zone area and still forgot it. But it would've just been more tree damage pictures anyway.

I drove down that road that parallels the intracoastal waterway but about a 1/2 mile from it around noon today. I heard it was a war zone after Florence blew through and the info was right. The road is open and very clear BUT the tree damage was pretty bad almost everywhere. It's not like a Cat. 4 would've probably caused but it was still bad. There's still a lot of trees broken and leaning that haven't been cut down yet.

I also saw 2 grappler trucks starting the debris clean-up in our County. But it will surely take months to clean up all this damage that's piled up in front of almost every yard in the County. I have that back field to put my little debris in and the limbs that fell in the field will get cut up and piled into the back corner as usual.

I had gone to buy an old Sony STR-D2010 receiver ( which I did ) and guess what, a debris grappler truck was in front of his house picking up what he was able to put out at the road. I bought from this guy before and he guarantees his stuff works.
    m9dn1lbth5j2.png

I had to wait less than 5 min. and all was good. The man pointed out a tree in his yard that broke but is still attached about 12' up. He hasn't tackled cutting it down yet. He's a little leery of it. :#