OLD PSW350 and new receiver

Hey,
I'm prepared to get flamed for this post. I know nothing about AV but want good sound.
I have a PSW350 that is 20+ years old and I have an Onkyo TX-RZ620 coming in. I had a cheap Pioneer receiver hooked up in the past and I could never get rid of a "hum" or almost a broken speaker sound-just slightly. I blame it on the receiver and my lack of knowledge.

My question is this-the sub manual suggests running the wiring for all the speakers through the sub. Is that still advisable with a newer receiver? Has anyone had to send a sub back to Polk for repair? Do they even work on old stuff?

Darrell

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Welcome to Club Polk.

Is this for 2 channel music or HT?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Right now, 2 Polk Audio RT15I tower speakers and the PSW350. I will connect a center Polk CS175I and 2 Polk RT15I as my surround speakers. I know these are old speakers and I suspect mid-range in their day. I just want to get them tuned to listen to music and occasionally movie surround sound. I just spend a ton on 2 new tv's and the new Onkyo TX-RZ620 receiver so I'd like to get these speakers tuned as tight as they can be tuned.
    IYHO, will I get pretty nice sound from those speaker and receiver?
  • kdn82 wrote: »
    Right now, 2 Polk Audio RT15I tower speakers and the PSW350. I will connect a center Polk CS175I and 2 Polk RT15I as my surround speakers. I know these are old speakers and I suspect mid-range in their day. I just want to get them tuned to listen to music and occasionally movie surround sound. I just spend a ton on 2 new tv's and the new Onkyo TX-RZ620 receiver so I'd like to get these speakers tuned as tight as they can be tuned.
    IYHO, will I get pretty nice sound from those speaker and receiver?

My front speakers are actually R40s, not RT215I-sub is PSW350 and center is CS175I.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ok, I don't believe there ever was a RT15I or a CS175I, so you're getting something wrong there.

Anyway, since you plan on using the rig for HT connect from the sub out on the AVR to the LFE connection on the back of the sub.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, I don't believe there ever was a RT15I or a CS175I, so you're getting something wrong there.

Anyway, since you plan on using the rig for HT connect from the sub out on the AVR to the LFE connection on the back of the sub.

There was - the rt25i had a little brother named the rt15i - the only differences were that the cabinet is about two inches less deep and it has that black silk down tweeter instead of the tri-lam dome tweeter. I have a pair on my patio, but I dropped a couple of tri-lam dome tweets in them. The cs175i have one woofer and one tweeter with the port opposite of the woofer.

And yes, the sub will be fine just hook it up like @F1nut says.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thank you guys for your comments. After setting up my new receiver, it appears my sub speaker(s) must be busted. I still get a "rattle" from the sub. So now I guess I explore repair or a new sub.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    kdn82 wrote: »
    Thank you guys for your comments. After setting up my new receiver, it appears my sub speaker(s) must be busted. I still get a "rattle" from the sub. So now I guess I explore repair or a new sub.

Not necessarily. Some subs have mesh or plastic inside the ports to keep critters and other things (kid's toys come to mind) out. Sometimes that rattles. You can open it up and see if that's your issue.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yes, several possibilities. Could be a lose port or speaker. Tighten everything down. Could be something in the port. Could be that you are now just hearing the limits of those subs.

If you feel the need the upgrade, we are more than happy to help you spend your money...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Could be the spider becoming detached as well but that is a simple fix. Some Aileen's and patience then you are ready to rock and roll.

What do I do first to diagnose rattle issues? Pick up the sub and turn it upside down or move it side to side, see if you hear anything. I got a Pioneer SW8MK2 for $15 because there was a rattle...flashlight in the port, had my kiddo fish her hand in there and we got it out.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Close to same issue. New pioneer vs lx103 to old psw250. I know it's better to run speakers through sub. But, because of location, cant. 250 has line in red/white. 103 has two black unmarked sub composites. 103 also has red/white preline immediately next to sub jacks. What's the right way? Not interested in blowing either component.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    subwoofer preout #1 on the pioneer to the white line in on the sub