Additional garage at Verb's house!

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited September 2018 in The Clubhouse
Among my many projects throughout the house over the past year, I have been working on expanding my garage capability on property. We currently have a 2.5 car garage. We have about 2 acres of property, and part of the allure of this home was the tentative approval from the association board of directors to allow more garage space.

Here is a concept sketch of our proposal:
auka771q086m.png

We've hired an architectural company to do all the renderings, plans, site analysis, local governmental analysis, yada yada.

First step is I have to present our proposal to the Board of Directors. Wish me luck! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Is that a separate structure or an addition?
  • verb
    We have 2 proposals. One is an addition, the other is a completely detached at the back of our property. Currently the by-laws only allow "attached" garages, but our ultimate would be to have the detached as shown.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    With 2 acres, detached is the way to go. Not a fan of homes where the garage is the first thing you notice.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    NICE!

Good luck, Bro!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    DaveHo wrote: »
    With 2 acres, detached is the way to go. Not a fan of homes where the garage is the first thing you notice.

Yep. Our existing garage door is at a 90 degree angle to the street.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    This a perfect reason why HOAs blow things I can't mention here. I don't have to ask permission to do anything on my property, and neither should you.
  • verb
    It's a choice Festivus! I knew that going in, in fact we had met the board prior to the purchase of the house. They seemed warm to it, so we bought the home. I've already had pre conversations with most of the members, grease the skids, you know the drill.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Hopefully you can change their mind. HOA's can be real PITA's.
  • verb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Hopefully you can change their mind. HOA's can be real PITA's.

Yep. At the old house they were a bunch of ****'s. I eventually became a member, and then president. We changed a lot of the by-laws to make it more friendly. The older members eventually quit because they were over-ruled too many times.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    They aren’t always bad...like when someone decides to rent the house next you to a frat or when a backyard becomes a car junkyard. Just situations I’ve dealt with but we don’t have an HOA.

I’ve got one of those houses where he garage is the first thing you notice but on .5 acre and my first house, it’s enough for me :)

Your new garage looks like it will be awesome! What kind of cars are going in there? Assuming it’s approved of course ;)
  • verb
    I’ve got a 59 Chevy Belair, 04 Chevy SSR for the Mrs, and 2 Harley’s (03 Heritage and a 99 Sportster). Plus the usual amount tool chests (3), woodworking tools, lawn tractor with trailer, etc. Lots of stuff!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Yea you need more room.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    One thing you may want to entertain is having a separate landscaping shop built right on the back of the garage. We have one and it is nice to keep garage stuff in the garage and nothing but landscaping stuff is its own area.

The only time my tractor goes into the garage is when I want to work on it. Food for thought. BTW, a 10x16 shop for landscaping can get filled up quick for a 2 acre yard. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    Yep. Good idea. Keep all the dirty stuff separated.
  • verb
    Milito wrote: »
    Yea you need more room.

You need more stuff

I’ll have room for a 3rd toy car!
  • verb
    Below are the 2 proposals for the garage. First option is the ultimate, what we want, detached. Option 2 is the fallback proposal if they insist on it being attached. To make the 2nd option "attached" we'd have to build a breezeway between the 2 buildings.
    bdmq85qt2b2z.png
    10p5gkxenovi.png
  • verb
    verb wrote: »
    Milito wrote: »
    Yea you need more room.

You need more stuff

I’ll have room for a 3rd toy car!

Sweet! 59' Eldorado Biarritz Convertible with a tri-carb and factory buckets

Yeah baby - she would fit!
    7lc9gtm554pv.png
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Detached but attached with a drive through with additional storage? Optimum.

I do not see what they see but I see much larger and (more common sense) space given the yard. TBT (and I know full well you are limited).

Closer is always better..........(notice the periods) given the space to have vehicles move around one another or shuffle things around without driving over one's lawn.

Which may be inundated with moisture. Your call.

I report from experience. You decide.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    Yep. Exactly the discussion I had with the Mrs. she prefers the closer option.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    verb wrote: »
    Among my many projects throughout the house over the past year, I have been working on expanding my garage capability on property. We currently have a 2.5 car garage. We have about 2 acres of property, and part of the allure of this home was the tentative approval from the association board of directors to allow more garage space.

Here is a concept sketch of our proposal:
    auka771q086m.png

We've hired an architectural company to do all the renderings, plans, site analysis, local governmental analysis, yada yada.

First step is I have to present our proposal to the Board of Directors. Wish me luck! :smile:

How much extra for the chick on the bottom right with the nice legs ? :)

Looks nice man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2018
    I love the proposal diagrams!

I took mechanical drawing in high school and LOVED drawing overhead views. The person or Company who you hired is definitely a 1st. CLASS drawing and designing presenter.
    Cudos!! ;)

I like the one where the extra garage is further away. It gives you more access to your back yard.

But putting in the back corner takes away from your "yard's park-like look".

That brings me to liking the closer one also to keep your back yard wide open.

Either way, a swimming pool will fit nicely behind your home. :):p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    The house will look more substantial from a curb appeal aspect with the garage closer. Too bad that 10' setback is so close to the bottom corner of the garage. Otherwise you could build a pretty porte cochère between the main structure and the detached garage.
    https://www.google.com/search?gs_ivs=1&q=Porte+cochere
  • verb
    Yep that was our original thought. We were a bit surprised once the detailed survey came in.
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    Don't forget a couple of drains in the floor.
  • verb
    So last week I presented the proposals for the garage. Both attached (allowed), and detached (not allowed). Well I'm happy to report that both proposals were approved! They agreed to waive the "detached" constraint in our case. We can do either!

So now the Mrs and I are in negotiations, ahem, discussions, about which one to choose. Either way, a new garage is coming! :smile:
  • verb wrote: »
    So last week I presented the proposals for the garage. Both attached (allowed), and detached (not allowed). Well I'm happy to report that both proposals were approved! They agreed to waive the "detached" constraint in our case. We can do either!

So now the Mrs and I are in negotiations, ahem, discussions, about which one to choose. Either way, a new garage is coming! :smile:

With new SRS's in your possession, I'd say the Mrs. will get the final say on the garage location :D