Hurricane's direction is looking bad for me.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Looks like a great excuse for a neighborhood party. People aren't going anywhere for awhile.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Thank God the Wind wasn't in the 175 MPH category!

I wonder how long it will take for this water to drain or evaporate from the state?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • With all that standing water it'll be fun once the mosquitos start biting.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yep, and the snakes start looking for dry land....in your house.

No shark reports yet though eh, you'd think with that surge you'd get a few here and there.....or gators.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited September 2018
    great pics
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    It blew the gutters off your house! Glad you are okay!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I WANNA GO TO MONKEY JUNCTION!!!!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Tony M, for being right at ground zero, you made it through relatively unscathed. Many other folks were not as lucky.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    I've been very lucky all these 30 years of BAD storms. If my old giant Pecan tree fell on my house when it fell during Hurricane Bertha AFTER Hurricane Fran soaked the ground, my house might've had to have been torn down and rebuilt. But it fell toward where the cottage is now. Just like this storm, the strongest wind came from the North.

It's something to see the downed or broken trees mostly leaning Southward.

My step daughter lives 3 miles away and is still without power. She brought a lot of her still frozen and refrigerated food to put in our spacious fridge and freezer this afternoon.

She handed me a NICE ribeye and said "Here dad, you can have this, I'm not in the mood for it like I thought I would be." She took it out of her freezer yesterday to cook tonight.

She's sad about our area's people still being in bad shape and her church being flooded too. She also was totally scared from the wind from this storm. She has a second story condo that's kind of open to the sky. She probably heard more howling than we did. She also thought, Cat.2, no problem. She could ride it out for a couple of days... :#
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Glad you're alright bubba! Boy that snapped tree couldn't have fell in a better place.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    Here's some more pics;
    v3khz72ek8ha.png
    This house up the street from me had their power line ripped off of their house. It's still connected but the meter box was damaged and the pole is pointing to the ground and touching it too. VERY dangerous for sure!!
    isjmn1ka2qau.png
    659gnpo2mrm4.png
    I caught a wind gust just at the right time. The little tree should be touching the wires above it.
    gf0gkw8z7uro.png
    Half of my neighbor's new gate and short fence section didn't stand a chance. The gate was wobbly before the storm hit.
    ycux6qylzwxt.png
    My truck stayed here. That was the side that the strongest winds blew on. The broken siding at the ground came from lawn mower wheels hitting it just the wrong way. The cloudy spot in the picture and all others is from a faulty design in my camera. The auto lens protector has scraped off a coating on the lens permanently putting that blur on every picture for the past couple of years.
    nxbqhx38fn4k.png
    This house is across the street to the right;
    2c6zzw23pp5o.png
    House across the street and 2 doors down to the right, before and after;
    wyboguiq0v4b.png
    e24g347av1x9.png
    walking down my street after the eye was going by. The wind and rain picked up BAD and we turned and came back home with the umbrellas almost sideways to block the rain and wind!;
    3u3utx3ixzkn.png
    fjh5ey32gwk4.png
    There was a small tree blocking the road towards the end. You can just see it. I wanted to get closer BUT the wind and rain started back with a fury and I had to abort!;
    0862288217du.png
    m3cm7mcivgo7.png
    bhkgnpslvr4r.png
    jn2k6fuloyd6.png

I'll post some more pics. going out and off my street Dixie Ave. to Wrightsville Ave. will be next.
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    This house is on the corner of my street and beside the church that almost got water inside of it. I don't know how the church didn't get flooded deeply. You'll see the pastor's house beside it in later photos. God was watching out for them!

But in the first pic., you can see the flooded church if you look past the broken tree. My wife and I were walking to the end to see how our main street looked like. And we come up on the tree crossing the main road right in front of Buffaloe's grocery store.

2j32c82yuzva.png
    t8djzb2fld6t.png
    to the left...not too bad at all. There was a tree on the right that almost took out a power line if another tree didn't stop it's fall. You can see it in the center somewhat;
    89cf8pwftomc.png
    To the right;
    bcf01d59jlpd.png
    443b37net9v4.png
    2tjw8yxmy7bf.png
    xpar2wfl7crt.png
    1pgo8p0ih7wk.png
    yclzvzig9xza.png
    r6mu8mea3uue.png
    6kaq8kur16aa.png
    vg1neeasvzbm.png

• Tony M
    edited September 2018
    Now I'm up close;
    9qep8tq8tzdz.png
    ofvd1wab97mf.png
    5ufmqyxjyp03.png
    Here's that broken tree from the other side closer to the church;
    ouaelvh5sabb.png
    85gbz2g6pyh8.png

gya6kf57u7pe.png
    3dlulx6br1as.png
    The house on the corner next to the church and my street looking back toward my street;
    wm88l0fq8vcp.png
    r1asn53xdbrt.png
    f6rqsokx5syg.png
    pics of the Pastor's house and yard next to the church;
    3ub9806n05hw.png
    71tkw4t3k6b7.png
    02ncgfh8dpls.png

Pics. of the little road trip I made to Monkey junction get propane coming next.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Glad to see you made it through okay Tony!

We got power and ip last night. In-laws got power just now. We lost ip sometime this afternoon, so we’re watching Godfather, hehe.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Tony M
    ud6hzpl8l49w.png
    2nf4rwlbsl9j.png
    ji1nqhlixyf4.png
    3nmwxd2b23j0.png
    08zp3gcdtgf4.png
    82nzum690zbx.png
    bd791x1hgjnb.png
    brresajqabn6.png
    6awxtxz1s350.png
    prwh2wxeikfu.png
    ytuyxnwpd7xh.png
    jpm4omuk1d76.png
    qdx7fj5wt4po.png
    hecmv7xke7ra.png
    n5c5io78w8l0.png
    One mile South of my house coming back home;
    r948llf2n8qn.png
    4jj5iwhtnpto.png
    2 Pecan trees took a hard hit behind the school;
    75qjgqnvgbyd.png
    Now 2 blocks from my house;
    v540scb9mtc9.png
    5r2a2pgqjhjx.png
    b87hg8mxv6im.png
    7485hry03x8b.png
    w02llryamfbo.png
    jm3io1oc7icq.png

That's all I've got. I might take some more of around my house and down my street I didn't get to before but maybe not..

We were lucky compared to what I've seen from Watkins pics and Country Club Estates and the rest of NC. and VA. now too. We're darn LUCKY and spared any true hardships besides a couple of cold showers and humid nights and days without A/C..

Truly lucky!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Blessed my good man!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    I forgot to say something about that WIND's sound this time around.

it sounded like there was a long convoy of tractor trailers rolling down a road a couple of blocks or three over from our house. That sound would go on for 10 minutes it seemed, every half hour or so. It's a scary sound. Wind howling that loud, that never slows down, is truly a scary sound.

If I hadn't heard the sound of a HUGE tornado years ago from a previous hurricane that hit here, I'd have to say the convoy sound is the second scariest sound I've ever heard. Maybe the wind pushing on my house and bedroom window (where my stupid head was :s ) Thurs. night at 90+mphs while I was trying to go to sleep ranks up at second maybe. :#

But that tornado years ago sounded like a freight train was rumbling and rolling on the ground towards me. The ground was resonating I believe. It's a sound they say "once you've heard it, you'll never forget it!"
    It's like a grizzly bear 10 feet from me roaring like he/she is about to eat me kind of sound. It wakes your soul up!!!

That tornado years ago hit a subdivision 3 miles east from me. Lord knows what it sounded like to those people closer and also the ones in that subdivision that heard giant pines snapping all around them and also falling into their homes. Living hell, or a war zone is what I imagine it being like. :s:'(

Of all the hurricanes I've been through, I NEVER heard the CONTINUOUS "rolling truck convoy sound" like Thurs. night. And the imaginary trailers sounded like they were loaded to the max too!
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    I'll check these pictures out tomorrow or the next day, once all the pictures load. :angry:
    Hope Mark still isn't on dial-up!
  • OMG Anderson Cooper!!!! The shark just couldn't wait for Wolf Blitzer

o6b841zpoyny.png

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    Just saw this for the first time. No wonder it seemed like forever for this storm to leave so the Rescue Electricians could start to get this area powered back up.
    https://www.facebook.com/WRALAimeeWilmoth/videos/1858160437603129/?t=2

• krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    edited September 2018
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Glad to see you made it through okay Tony!

We got power and ip last night. In-laws got power just now. We lost ip sometime this afternoon, so we’re watching Godfather, hehe.

Love, tolerable, and hate. There's my Godfather trilogy review.

By the way their in chronological order.
  • Viking64
    edited September 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    Pics. of the little road trip I made to Monkey junction get propane coming next.

Tony, you went to Monkey Junction and didn't invite me?!?!?! :'(:p

It sounds like a mashup of "Petticoat Junction" and the episode of "Green Acres" where Mr. Haney builds a track for racing monkeys. "Release the banana! Here come the monkeys!" :D

4o0sg50lz30l.png
  • xuppk2ixc9vs.png

• Tony M
    Here's a very quick description of that MJ area/intersection. :) It has a link to more info if you want to know more.
    http://www.myreporter.com/2009/03/monkey-junction/
  • Viking64
    Tony M wrote: »
    Here's a very quick description of that MJ area/intersection. :) It has a link to more info if you want to know more.
    http://www.myreporter.com/2009/03/monkey-junction/

I found a news story about it where they spoke with several people from the area. Everybody knew what it was called but few knew why. HAHAHA

Actually, now I'm a little disappointed because after I posted above, I started hoping it was about how Hooterville was overrun by characters from "Planet of the Apes". :p
  • Tony M
    edited September 2018
    Today, Wednesday, chain saws were heard everywhere in my neighborhood all day long. It was a BEAUTIFUL day weather wise! Low humidity in the air BUT it was still humid at ground level with almost every bit of ground being covered by wet leaves and Pine limb tips. We have a lot of Pines down here. "Long Leaf Pines" at that! You go to pick one of those broken tips up, you feel the weight of them and realize why they broke off during this storm.

A professional huge chipper/shredder was across the street and 3 doors down making LOUD shredder sounds every so often today. There must've been some tree damage in their back yard also. The people who own that house also own the one next to me on my driveway side that had 2 trees to remove. After the crew got done across the street around 4PM, they came next door and started sawing up the trees and putting the logs and branches across the street and to the left, till 7PM.

My wife and I went out this afternoon and cleaned up quite a bit. Her around the house again, me in the back field. In one picture of my neighbors yard ( across the street and 2 doors down) in the before and after, it looks like the ground is carpeted with leaves and sticks. That's how the back field was too. Almost completely covered with leaves, Pine branch tips and twigs and sticks and branches and BIG branches here and there. Mostly regular branches though. I picked up a ton of debris today. So did my wife.

Thank God it was small to med. size stuff and that THAT was all we have to deal with!

We were almost going to have to wait in line for food but our power came back on. There is a HUGE food prep rescue set-up at a vacant K-Mart parking lot 4 blocks from me. HUGE...!

I'm amazed at the rescue efforts by all trying to bring normalcy and relief to our area!!!

People who are homeless due to the storm are still going/getting to where they work if their businesses are opening. It's something to see people going to work while their home lives are or "are somewhat" destroyed for a while. I heard one employee at Lowes Home Improvement say she hasn't seen her home at Top Sail Beach since Wednesday before the Hurricane hit. She thinks it is OK though.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Thanks for the updates Tony. Hopefully all the folks affected by the storm will have their lives back to normal soon.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Keep us posted TonyM ... Having gone thru this multiple times it makes you appreciate the things we take for granted... like electricity.... Buy a lightman a beer!