iPhone X S

Anyone else going to have theirs this Friday? ( or thereabouts)
Got the XS for the wife in gold and the max in Black for me.
Looks to be pretty nice upgrade over the 8’s we currently have

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    We might go with the XR when they come out in October. The XR will actually cost us le$$ per month than what we pay now for her 8 and my 8 plus. Neither of us is using much of the built in memory since everything backs up to iCloud. 128 GB will be more than enough for us on our next phones (we may even be able to live with 64 GB!).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Clipdat wrote: »
    But why?

Because they will help me waste time faster and better than ever before.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    But why?

My wife's 8 was stolen recently. Until they could send her a replacement, she bought an iPhone X w/ the intention of taking it back.

The screen is so much larger on the X > 8. It's edge to edge display makes a huge difference compared to the iPhones with the "home" button.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited September 2018
    I’ll copy what I posted in the other thread here...keep in mind I still do contract work for Apple so take this with whatever size grain of salt you want:

Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not want people upgrading phones every year just for the purpose of upgrading. They keep stats around things like % of people using older phones and % on each version of iOS. Compared to the competition they have a much larger portion of their user base running phones that are several years old with a current build of their mobile OS and that's something they are quite proud of a brag about. They're also trying to get to a product line that involves zero mining and only reusable materials, and people hanging on to their older phones helps them accomplish that. They've stated these things both publicly and within closed doors.

If you're on anything from the 5S forward and are happy with your phone there's no need to upgrade. The 5S dates back to 2013 and is not only going to get the iOS update here in a few days but that update is actually going to make the phone quicker and more responsive. So if you're using an older phone that's feeling kinda sluggish I'd suggest waiting for the iOS 12 upgrade and see if that brings enough of an improvement to satisfy you. Those phones will never be as fast as newer models obviously, but they're still quite usable for many people.

If you're using the iPhone X there's little reason to upgrade to the XS, there are some improvements but none are groundbreaking. If you take a lot of photos the story changes though, the better processing in the newer models allows some functionality that's gong to produce stellar photos, I'm in that boat and so for me the upgrade is worth it but most people taking the occasional photo won't care much. A nice high end DSLR will still be a better overall camera, but the new phones are going to be able to produce photos that just aren't available on any other device.

Gone are the days where the larger screens have more features, the XS and XS Max are identical except for the screen size and battery life. The XR fits in between the two, but is a stripped down phone with an inferior camera and a lower resolution LDC screen and as a result will give you the most battery life.

If you want a dual sim phone these are the way to go, unlike most other phones these use an esim and therefore can seamlessly handle phone calls from both lines without needing to select one in the settings menu, the seamless integration of both lines is super handy especially if you're like me and carry a personal and a business line.
  • joecoulson
    Bingo on the photography.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    I've had the XS Max in my hands a full 24 hours now and here are my thoughts, I'm gonna break this down into the various user scenarios I can think of so hopefully this will help someone. This thread is titled iPhone XS and that's what I have in my hands and therefore I'll restrict my comments to those phones, so before anyone starts in yes I am aware there are other phones on the market beside iPhones I'm just commenting on what I have in my hands and the only non-iPhone I own is the Galaxy S8 which is already over a year old and not a fair comparison.

If you're happy with your current phone
    My answer is typically the same here, if you're perfectly happy with your current phone then I'd think twice before upgrading. These things are expensive and the fact is most people don't use all the features even though they think they will. One thing I would suggest though is looking at core things like battery life and security and see how your current phone stacks up. I mention that because I've found lots of people that are perfectly fine with half day battery life or a fingerprint sensor that's finicky because they think it's normal, I'm here to tell you those are NOT normal. If you happen to be on an older iPhone since the 5S I'd recommend installing iOS 12 as that will speed up your device.

If you've been waiting for the right time to upgrade
    If you've been looking to make a change and have been waiting for the right point to jump in really you were fine doing that last year with the X and with the XS and XR this year you're even better off. These phones have next generation features like a more secure system in Face ID, enough processor speed for anything you'll be able to throw at it in the next several years, wireless charging, a battery that will get you through a full day, and a camera system that in some ways surpasses what a DSLR can do. The only game-changer on the horizon really is 5G and we're a long ways off from that becoming a reality for the majority of people, and even then we don't know how useful it's actually going to be. These phones will be useful for several more years so now's a good time to jump in.

If you're an iPhone X user
    I think you're safe to skip this upgrade. There are some upgrades that I'll get into below, but for most people there aren't really enough compelling reasons to upgrade. If you're liking your X or if you're shopping around and can find an X at a good price that's going to be your better value proposition. That being said, the XS series does offer a few advantages over the X.

1 - Obviously you have the option of a larger screen in the XS Max, this is my main reason for upgrading. That being said, the Max doesn't always make the best use of that extra space, think of it as a blown up iPhone screen rather than having more space to bring extra functionality like a floating video window. There are some other benefits to having a larger screen as well, I type much faster and more accurately on those screens and I can hold the phone further back from my face which is easier on my eyes and helps Face ID work quicker to the point where the phone is unlocked by the time I have it raised.
    2 - Battery life on the Max is amazing, it's the best battery life I've ever had with a smartphone, even more than the 8 Plus. Keep in mind it's brand new so that helps, but I've not yet been able to kill it in a day. My understanding is the regular XS is better than the X but not dramatically so and not worth upgrading.
    3 - Although the camera hardware is similar to what's on the X the overall experience is better due to the extra processing allowed by the faster chips in the XS models. Smart HDR and adjustable bokeh are the highlights here, but the slightly larger sensor also does better low light shots. If you're really into photography the camera alone may be worth the upgrade and being in that camp I can see anywhere from very minor improvements in some shots to quite dramatic improvements in others, but casual photo takers will probably not care about the difference enough to upgrade.
    4 - IP68 is a nice upgrade over the IP67 in the X, meaning it can survive longer in deeper water but how often do you submerge your phone in 2 meters of water for an hour?
    5 - The chips are faster, the whole phone feels slightly more responsive but certainly not enough to justify an upgrade.
    6 - Face ID is faster when you compare side by side, but again not dramatic enough for an upgrade.
    7 - I own an iPhone X, a Samsung Galaxy S8 and now the XS Max that all support wireless charging and can confirm that for whatever reason the XS is just less finicky about how I place it on the charger. With the X and S8 I have to get it aligned just right, the XS is more forgiving.
    8 - There are some other minor things like better AR allowed by the new neural engine chip but generally speaking those are next gen features that you won't get a lot of practical use out of for some time.

I'm really happy with the XS Max and think there's a pretty clear advantage of that over the X if you want the larger size and longer battery. I think it's much harder to make the case for the XS, and if I were keeping the same size phone I'd honestly likely skip the upgrade this year because the X is already a great phone and very likely will be for a few more years.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    How's the overall speed/snappiness of it during typical daily use versus the Galaxy S8?
  • joecoulson
    Going from an 8, I’m very excited.
  • joecoulson
    And Thank You for the great review.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Great review Danny.

I much look forward to the XS Max. My unlocked X lasts up to lunch time and requires charging. My day starts around 7ish in the AM.

I do not have the new XS yet, but I do have several Samsung phones. The only thing I could say, is the Samsung camera is nice. I also have DSLR camera’s but will see if the new XS could do anything near them. The camera in my X is subpar at best. Outdoors with ideal lighting, any camera will do. Indoors, daytime, lights all on, the X has focus issues. Serious issues. Pics of toddlers and infants. So not portrait pics but Kodak moments. My Samsung is snappier and focuses much better compared to the X.

Would I recommend the Samsung phone to anyone? No. Because I use it as a phone more than a camera. Everything else, the X smokes it.

Long last. I am comparing to Nikon 800 series camera, Sony A7RII and the amazing Sony A7III. So. What have you? Not a fair comparison, I know.

Full disclosure. I am full on back into Apple Ecosystem. And loving it. Apple Watch series 4 will soon be in my position as well as the XS Max.

Cheers.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Honestly if you want the best camera in a phone then the Pixel 2 and likely the upcoming 3 is a pretty obvious choice. Due to the larger sensor the autofocus system on the XS is faster and it’s an upgrade over the X, but my guess is once it gets scored the Pixel 2 will still be the top phone camera.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2018
    How's the overall speed/snappiness of it during typical daily use versus the Galaxy S8?

I don’t really have any lag with either phone, the iPhone is more responsive as in apps open quicker but phones generally are so good these days you’re really splitting hairs. This is why I generally find the iPhone/Android flame wars kinda silly, each has clear advantages over the other and so it's a matter of personal choice which has the set of features that best fit your needs.
  • joecoulson
    Agree completely
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I have the iPhone 6 Plus . My only complaint is it is only 16gb. Bought it the week they were introduced. Because of short battery life last year I bought a mophie battery case and that helped it last a day and a half between charges. Now I just went and got a new battery .$30 Apple store and it is back to awesome battery life. I am happy with what I have now. Thanks for the great write up. Love yours, D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    halen wrote: »
    Great review Danny.

I much look forward to the XS Max. My unlocked X lasts up to lunch time and requires charging. My day starts around 7ish in the AM.

Your phone's a year old, so jump on that cheap battery replacement ASAP!"

Dude must use his phone ALL the time. Try talking to people or reading a book 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Dude must use his phone ALL the time. Try talking to people or reading a book 😂

Googles: "What is book?" :p
  • joecoulson
    Phone arrives tomorrow Woot!
  • Clipdat
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Phone arrives tomorrow Woot!

conventionalclearcutgrebe.gif
  • joecoulson
    Millennial’s man
  • Clipdat
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Millennial’s man

thisguygetsit.jpg
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Thanks for the write up. I have a 6s plus and really only care about having a big phone so I can see the screen, and taking pictures. Seems like this checks those boxes so I just ordered one.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2018
    Here’s a good example of the XS vs the X...minor improvements like this are what you can expect. You can see the difference here but it’s not gonna change your life (brighter photo is the XS, reality is actually somewhere between these two photos)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited September 2018
    Also for anyone looking at a size comparison here are my XS and XS Max side by side

wzoe4pmfcu77.jpeg
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Finally here’s a quick shot I took that illustrates the adjustable bokeh, neither of these are DSLR good but the fact I can adjust it after the fact is nice and these are still pretty good handheld shots in low light. These two are at the ends of the adjustable range.

w5p1h6jdcom8.jpeg
    ak5zg53s3akp.jpeg
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Thanks for the info Danny
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »

That's why I carry a pocket full of quarters.