New Apple Watch released today

Options
eo1qogy0p4xy.png
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    I very much like the idea that it can monitor one’s cardio and send reports directly to a doc’s office. At least that’s what I understand one of the versions can do. I think the $499. First time I’ve even considered one.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,601
    edited September 2018
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    These are awesome when using your iPhone as a gps. It buzzes your wrist when a direction is coming up. Look at your watch and it tells you what to do. That is probably my favorite feature of my first gen.

Pff, who uses GPS? Navigate like a real man, by driving around aimlessly in circles, while you ignore your wife who's begging you to stop and ask for directions at a gas station.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    They released three new iPhones also. I just got a new battery installed for thirty so I am all good with my iPhone 6 Plus. My daughter got the 3rd gen watch from me and the wife for getting straight A’s. It was expensive $349.00. But she is in three sports ,(track,cc,Nordic),64bzszbbxeyh.png
    and it helps her track progress and stores PR’s. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    You guys have already covered the watch so here's my take on the phone upgrades, keep in mind I still do contract work for Apple so take this with whatever size grain of salt you want:

Contrary to popular belief, Apple does not want people upgrading phones every year just for the purpose of upgrading. They keep stats around things like % of people using older phones and % on each version of iOS. Compared to the competition they have a much larger portion of their user base running phones that are several years old with a current build of their mobile OS and that's something they are quite proud of a brag about. They're also trying to get to a product line that involves zero mining and only reusable materials, and people hanging on to their older phones helps them accomplish that. They've stated these things both publicly and within closed doors.

If you're on anything from the 5S forward and are happy with your phone there's no need to upgrade. The 5S dates back to 2013 and is not only going to get the iOS update here in a few days but that update is actually going to make the phone quicker and more responsive. So if you're using an older phone that's feeling kinda sluggish I'd suggest waiting for the iOS 12 upgrade and see if that brings enough of an improvement to satisfy you. Those phones will never be as fast as newer models obviously, but they're still quite usable for many people.

If you're using the iPhone X there's little reason to upgrade to the XS, there are some improvements but none are groundbreaking. If you take a lot of photos the story changes though, the better processing in the newer models allows some functionality that's gong to produce stellar photos, I'm in that boat and so for me the upgrade is worth it but most people taking the occasional photo won't care much. A nice high end DSLR will still be a better overall camera, but the new phones are going to be able to produce photos that just aren't available on any other device.

Gone are the days where the larger screens have more features, the XS and XS Max are identical except for the screen size and battery life. The XR fits in between the two, but is a stripped down phone with an inferior camera and a lower resolution LDC screen and as a result will give you the most battery life.

If you want a dual sim phone these are the way to go, unlike most other phones these use an esim and therefore can seamlessly handle phone calls from both lines without needing to select one in the settings menu, the seamless integration of both lines is super handy especially if you're like me and carry a personal and a business line.

The new watch is the biggest change in that lineup yet, I'm excited about picking one of those up to replace my first gen model.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Great post @AsSiMiLaTeD Can you similarly expound on the aforementioned iWatch?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    if you have a first gen watch like me then it’s worth the upgrade, mine is a first generation and as a result is pretty slow and bulky for what it offers and lacks key features like GPS and cellular connectivity. If you have one of the newer models that already has GPS and/or cellular then the upgrade is more feature dependent. You have to ask yourself if the larger and brighter screen and the health features like fall and AFIB detection and ECG are worth the price.

One thing to note is that even though the casing and screens are different sizes the connectors are not, which means you can use bands from any of the previous models on this watch, people like to pounce on Apple when they change things like that so I figured it’s fair to point out when they easily could have but didn’t..
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Admittedly, I like the iphone watches, i love gadgets, but to me watches are a bit of a heirloom that should not be obsolete after a year.

I'm still old school in the watch department. Heck, after 4 generations of iphone watches, you could've score a nice entry level Breitling, Tag, or similar.

I still have my Superocean, among others, purchased over 10 years ago. Still going strong, and will probably pass em on to my kids someday.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    I pre-ordered the Apple watch 4 which will be my first Apple watch. I went for the 44 mm case and Nike version. Went with the sport band instead of loop. I like the heart monitoring features. I exercise frequently so I like the idea of not having to be always have my cell phone with me for work outs. Also, if I keel over due to a heart attack it should be able to dial emergency services. I just wish the battery life could be longer.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    Thanks Danny! I might order the new watch as a Christmas present for my partner. She has first gen so sounds like a nice upgrade!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer