9:15 on a Friday Night...

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited September 2018
    Maybe we should lay everyone that gets off the plane. It works for Hawaii. Just don't know how the Hawaiians muster up so much energy. They are a giving people...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • verb wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few newbies here run out of the forum on rails, posing newbie questions, necroposting, not using the search function, other newbie stuff.

Gotta treat the newbies with that understanding. Otherwise they'll move on.

I can remember getting spanked a few times on this forum when I first joined. :smile:

I enjoy the banter, but there is a period of time as a newbie where you just don't know if you're being played with or actually insulted.

Yes you must have some thick skin, that is the nature of any forum.

Just my 2 cents.

Bring back the spanking thread... Oh wait, we didn't have one.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Thanks for that picture. Wow

On this forum, I will say that the members overall are MUCH more friendly and accepting than any other forum I’ve been on. From trucks to guns to other Audio forums, much better atmosphere.

I will be doing some audio Karma coming up as I feel it’s time for me personally. Got lots of S::t I’m not using.

I will say that most of the time new topics are viewed but not responded to except by a few. If someone posts over in the car Audio forum, I usually don’t know. But over here, unless it’s “ post a picture” it’s very quiet.

I wish I had more time to put reviews to together and post more on some of my thoughts, but life is in 5th gear for me right now.

Thank You to all of you who gave me a warm welcome
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Thanks for that picture. Wow

On this forum, I will say that the members overall are MUCH more friendly and accepting than any other forum I’ve been on. From trucks to guns to other Audio forums, much better atmosphere.

Thanks for saying that. Some don't realize how off putting other forums can be. Unfortunately in todays day and age, feelings get hurt at the drop of a pin, which is a shame. Sometimes we joke around and all too many times it's taken seriously. You have to stick around long enough to understand the various personalities that hang out here.

From my cheap seats, I see new members, and they all seem to come here to complain about one thing....their soundbars. That should be a wake up call for Polk in my view. They are doing damage to their street rep by not fixing these issues or simply getting out of the soundbar business completely. I come from the camp of, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

Others join just to buy stuff in the FM and they are gone. This is why we used to have a 100 post limit on buying in the FM. Gets newbies to explore the forum and participate a bit, get the feel for the place. Some thought that off putting, but I would suggest that maybe they were more self serving than what was best for the forum long term. We lost that argument as evident by the FM rules now.

That may ruffle a few feathers, but it's the truth as I see it anyway.

Traffic on audio forums in general is always up and down, depending. Summer is slower, people have stuff to do. Many today are into the portable stuff also, good sound isn't as important as portability, earbuds. Might just be an age thing, as they get older they'll find an appreciation for good sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    edited September 2018
    I think the sound bars are a cash cow for any speaker company. They are really cheap to produce and can turn over a lot of quantities
    That being said, for that most part, all of them suck. Only when you spend $1k or more do they actually have decent sound quality but for HT only.

Back to the atmosphere, I think most often the younger crowd (and Micah you are an anomaly because you sometimes make me question your age, very mature) gets hurt at opinions. Heck when I joined Skip rattled off his opposing view with his first post to me with a “no” Now I think he is a champ and we have developed a good relationship. Everyone is different and in this day and age of social media and alter ego’s, it’s easy to be a jerk and then walk away. I always try and imagine I am speaking to someone directly in the real world when posting. Helps to keep it real. If everyone did that, forums would be polite friendly and welcome much more than they are now.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Yep2 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Absolutely pathetic compared to what it used to be!

Agree.

Lets put our brains togather & build a PR situation to attract new members!
    The more the merrier!
    Its all about new members.

Just break out old polkfarmboy threads those were a riot...
    Karma just followed that guy around...she was a beoitch
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Things have just been crazy for me but then again I never banter anything useful other than the usual "look at this crap I bought"... D'oh!

Wow, wife walked through and ask is that one them 1 buck albums you found yesterday.

It sounds really good and then followed it up with "I don't know the song" but it does sound good....Double D'oh... :D
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192

Agree.

The more the merrier!

What ever happened to him? I was gone from the forum for a time and when I returned I noticed that he was no longer posting. Did he get into a beef with someone or did he buy a computer on eBay without knowing anything about it and no longer has access to the forum? The last thing I remember reading was he lost a white drone in the snow. I wonder if he is still looking for it. He may not be capable of finding his way home!

• pitdogg2
    Hermitism wrote: »

Agree.

The more the merrier!

What ever happened to him? I was gone from the forum for a time and when I returned I noticed that he was no longer posting. Did he get into a beef with someone or did he buy a computer on eBay without knowing anything about it and no longer has access to the forum? The last thing I remember reading was he lost a white drone in the snow. I wonder if he is still looking for it. He may not be capable of finding his way home!

He threw in the towel because we called him out on some stuff, he went off in a huff and said he'd never be back. We called him out on that because after all he was a drama queen, what do you know he kept his word. Kevin was just a little different.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I think the sound bars are a cash cow for any speaker company. They are really cheap to produce and can turn over a lot of quantities
    That being said, for that most part, all of them suck. Only when you spend $1k or more do they actually have decent sound quality but for HT only.

Back to the atmosphere, I think most often the younger crowd (and Micah you are an anomaly because you sometimes make me question your age, very mature) gets hurt at opinions. Heck when I joined Skip rattled off his opposing view with his first post to me with a “no” Now I think he is a champ and we have developed a good relationship. Everyone is different and in this day and age of social media and alter ego’s, it’s easy to be a jerk and then walk away. I always try and imagine I am speaking to someone directly in the real world when posting. Helps to keep it real. If everyone did that, forums would be polite friendly and welcome much more than they are now.

Anomaly... I like that. Lol.
    One of the things that helps me is that I tend to not care what others think about me, you can think I’m stupid or too silly or anything, and I don’t care. If you think I’m mean, then that gets me a bit upset, but otherwise, I could care less.
    I think part of what helps that is when I was younger, I went to a very small school (there were nine kids in the last year, Ian did my class had 5) and all the other students were just small people, very thin and light weight (I got nothing against that, if that’s you, it’s just how it was). Our entire family on both sides is built like tanks, and when your 10 and your a big dude, and all your friends are small, you think your fat. Got made fun of occasionally for it, and because of that, to this day, I don’t care if you make fun of me, or whatever. I just ignore that kind of thing. If it gets extreme, then I’ll say something, but otherwise, I just ignore it, and that’s what I did when I first came here Andy I didn’t realize y’all were just messing with me. :)
    Me and @BassFreak101 (me and him live down the road from each other, and we go to the same church) both have better than average ears for our age, most of my friends think my system sounds “good”. As they come from their phones built in speakers. Not good enough to actually care though. And I have one friend who thinks it sounds exactly the same as his phone, which has worse speakers than most other phones mind you. I however can hear everything, and that was why I left my iPad speakers, to look for something more. I think as their ears get better, they will realize what actual good sound is, and they’ll start running for better audio.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    A few thoughts...
    1. Don’t call out grammatical errors on newbies. I almost left because of that. I know now y’all were just giving me a hard time, but back then, I didn’t.
    2. At least for me, I want you to tell me how to fix something and then tell me why that’ll fix it, or how I broke it, so it doesn’t happen again.
    3. Try to not just say “you’re wrong”, give some explanation. That was another thing that almost made me leave.

It was the same way when I joined 16 years ago. Suck it up buttercup, the world is a rough place.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    F1nut wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    A few thoughts...
    1. Don’t call out grammatical errors on newbies. I almost left because of that. I know now y’all were just giving me a hard time, but back then, I didn’t.
    2. At least for me, I want you to tell me how to fix something and then tell me why that’ll fix it, or how I broke it, so it doesn’t happen again.
    3. Try to not just say “you’re wrong”, give some explanation. That was another thing that almost made me leave.

It was the same way when I joined 16 years ago. Suck it up buttercup, the world is a rough place.

All I’m really saying is, give newbies a bit of grace. I’d never had any experience with any forum, and had no idea what to expect.
    And, aside from number 1, all I’m saying is give an explanation.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Picture this forum like being in 'nam.
    Someone is always looking to chuck a grenade at you at any given moment. Keeps you on your toes.

After we lay the newbies at the door, we hand them a grenade and wish them luck...

Don't fault me for lack of effort.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mlistens03
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Picture this forum like being in 'nam.
    Someone is always looking to chuck a grenade at you at any given moment. Keeps you on your toes.

After we lay the newbies at the door, we hand them a grenade and wish them luck...

Don't fault me for lack of effort.

Still not what I’m saying.
  • joecoulson
    Micah, there are a bunch of grumpy a$5 old men on here too, just gotta deal with them. Sucks being old.
  • joecoulson wrote: »
    Micah, there are a bunch of grumpy a$5 old men on here too, just gotta deal with them. Sucks being old.

Some would even call it Jurassic aged.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited September 2018
    Some people seem to be serious about trying to learn and share their experiences while others with little time on the forum want to whine and complain about things that rub them the wrong way. I'm going to reference a recent post by @DSkip that drew various degrees of criticism and ruffled feathers. The level of criticism levied at an experiment that was designed to further discussion was typical of what's become of this forum. My thought was if folks didn't want to participate then don't. Instead, petty individuals reacted and cried like little beeches.

Idk, just my 2 cents.

Btw, for the same lil beeches that want to flame me for writing this.... Go cry to someone that may care.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Shut up Kerry....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Maybe we should lay everyone that gets off the plane. It works for Hawaii. Just don't know how the Hawaiians muster up so much energy. They are a giving people...

I think that might be lei. :|

toob34kfmbpm.png
  • mhardy6647
    Speaking of...

m54a9i7xfafw.png

or

tfo8f5yhffzs.png

for that matter

Shouldn't all y'all be out on dates wif your significant others and whatnot?

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Shut up Kerry....

Here's hoping your bucket gets stuck in the pouring rain >:)
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    Stuck bucket trucks -- buck it up, ya big lunk.
  • mhardy6647
    BTW -- I thought this thread was gonna be about misquoting old Billy Joel songs.

https://youtu.be/QwVjTlTdIDQ
  • Date with the wife, there’s an idea. Celebrating 13 years of marriage on Monday. But no date tonight she is 7 months pregnant and been asleep for a couple hours already. Besides the Buckeyes are on tv. Enjoying the game with two of my kids who are still awake.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    We had #35 this year -- and we were out on a date (dinner & a concert), but it was last night.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    People go through different phases in life. I joined the forum just after my first born. Now I have 3. Work, family, life, hobbies...it’s all a balance. I still check the forum every day, just don’t post as much.

However, I have said multiple times...
    When I joined it felt like a family. Now it doesn’t.

Vanilla had a lot to do with that.
    Sound United had a lot to do with that.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    When I joined it felt like a family. Now it doesn’t.

Vanilla had a lot to do with that.

Yes. Exactly.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    We had #35 this year -- and we were out on a date (dinner & a concert), but it was last night.

Why you sly Devil you <3<3
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2018
    I welcome new members here and agree the more, the merrier. There have been many old members here that have been run off by some new members that seem to have little respect for the experience that they have with owning actual audio gear/cables/ etc...

Many of the new members have zero clue of what audio is because they have never seen a stereo shop, outside of a sorry looking small shelf in a BestBuy, much less an actual audiophile rig. Part of this is that Polk Audio does not market their higher end speakers and such effectively, and all many know about is soundbars and headphones. To them, if it cant be heard from a wireless speaker from an I-phone, or a set of headphones, forget about it. One 20-something told me the best sound you could get comes from a Soundblaster and a set of gaming headphones. To him, that was audiophile grade right there, and my rig was simply a waste of money, space and time.

Then they come in here and tell us we are wasting our money, and wonder why the welcome mat is sometimes made of hot coals.

Best advice I can give is when you come into a new place, watch what is being said and by whom, learn who everybody is, and post far less than you read, unless you can add something substantive to a discussion. You are guaranteed to fit right in that way. Don't join to have your first post be something along the lines of "Polk sucks" or "you guys are meanies". This is a perfect way to get rained on.

This comes from experience, as I too took the hard way, and was almost run out of town without a rail to ride on...
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson