NuForce WDC200 Wireless DAC

The price has dropped significantly on the NuForce WDC200 Wireless DAC recently since it was discontinued ($800 -> $200) , so I thought I'd give it a try as possibly something to replace my Squeezebox Touch. Not only does the WDC200 add wireless connectivity to phones and wifi audio from a PC or server that supports 24/96 playback, but it also has an optical input allowing it to switch and process a separate digital source.

249538.jpg

249543.jpg

The few reviews on-line say the unit sounds as good as advertised, so I hope that's the case!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Do you think there's any performance left on the table, or other forms of audible degradation due to the fact that it's wireless?

For some reason I can't help but thinking that when going wireless, you're making some sort of sacrifice in terms of the audio performance. Even if this is completely illogical, I still feel like this for some reason.

Maybe it's just a symptom of the negative reputation that BT has.

Also, I suppose it has a lot to do with the way you listen, but for me I would rather spend more on a traditional DAC versus one with the "feature" of being wireless.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Looking forward to your review of it!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    I think that’s one thing that interests me is that it’s not traditional bluetooth, it’s a wifi connection which can be high bandwidth; and I do have a high quality router.

I hope it’s worth a try!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I've been running a wireless Squeezebox for about 10 years, no issues with degraded sound. It's not Bluetooth. I do use an upgraded linear power supply for the SQB Touch and that made a marked improvement. But I've never had any "quality" issues running wireless.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I've been running a wireless Squeezebox for about 10 years, no issues with degraded sound. It's not Bluetooth. I do use an upgraded linear power supply for the SQB Touch and that made a marked improvement. But I've never had any "quality" issues running wireless.

H9

Thanks Brock for sharing your experience. Like I said, it's just a weird irrational fear/feeling that I have.
  • zingo
    I second the Squeezebox experience and hope to have audio quality as good with this wireless DAC. Plus, it will have the added benefit of the control being on your device, not on the Squeezebox.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    zingo wrote: »
    I second the Squeezebox experience and hope to have audio quality as good with this wireless DAC. Plus, it will have the added benefit of the control being on your device, not on the Squeezebox.

I hope you have a great experience with your new device, but I've never controlled my Squeezebox Touch by touch. Always from my phone or tablet.
  • mdaudioguy
    Clipdat wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

Thanks Brock for sharing your experience. Like I said, it's just a weird irrational fear/feeling that I have.

Streaming via WiFi and Bluetooth are very different. I only stream via BT out of convenience to my headphones while running or in my car.
  • zingo
    edited September 2018
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I hope you have a great experience with your new device, but I've never controlled my Squeezebox Touch by touch. Always from my phone or tablet.

I used to control mine with my iPhone 6, but it says the app isn’t supported anymore, so I gave up.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

I used to control mine with my iPhone 6, but it says the app isn’t supported anymore, so I gave up.

U just have to pay for iPeng or another app like that. Like 5 bucks...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • zingo
    edited September 2018
    Hmmm... I never would have associated that app with the Squeezebox, but thanks!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Hmmm... I never would have associated that app with the Squeezebox, but thanks!

Well now it’s 9 bucks, but sill well worth it imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • This is interesting as I have been trying to think of ways to stream outside of my 3.5mm to rca connection. I might have to drop a couple hundy on this device and see how it goes.

I do wish it didn't have it's own volume control as I do like my preamp but i'll figure it out.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    A chromecast audio connect to a god DAC will accomplish the same thing.
  • DaveHo wrote: »
    A chromecast audio connect to a god DAC will accomplish the same thing.

I have heard good things about Chromecast Audio. I remember almost picking one up a year or so ago but passed for the time being. I may go that route after all although this piece is still interesting.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • zingo
    edited September 2018
    I also didn’t need the digital preamp function, but set to full volume it should have zero effect on the sound quality. Althought I will be interested to test it without my preamp.
  • mdaudioguy
    Hmmm, I just realized that NuForce is a line of Optoma products. I'm much more familiar with their projector line. Interesting! https://www.optoma.com/us/product-category/home-audio/
  • zingo
    Yes they were purchased a while back, but I still have a pre Optoma pair of bluetooth headphones that are my favorite. They were always an innovative and unique company if their products, so I’m glad a lot of that was kept with the purchase. Their pre-Optoma class-D amps still fetch good money used.
  • zingo
    I'm playing around with the DAC this morning. Accessing it with any digital device or computer is through wifi as it creates its own hotspot that's at least 100ft; not only better SQ than bluetooth, but much wider range, and just as easy to use.

An interesting note that the digital volume control only works with the SPDIF input, not the wifi audio, which works fine for me as I was planning on not using it beyond SQ testing.
  • zingo
    It’s a nice looking unit with an aluminum case and the tube is for scale for size.

717efutowgxg.jpeg