Deck stain/ sealant

Options
jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited June 2014 in The Clubhouse
Hey guys. Still getting into the home ownership groove, and recently realized I need to go about staining and sealing my front porch fairly soon. The small sections that get a lot of sun exposure are starting to grey a bit, and I'd like my deck/porch to stay as new and clean as possible for as long as possible.

Anyone had any particularly good or bad experience with a certain brand or type of stain? Is there anything I need to be aware of prepping-wise, or anything else to take into account prior to moving forward? I'd like to get it done in the next couple of weekends, so any and all insight from those in the know would be appreciated.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I like CWF UV stain by Flood. It isn't cheap, but lasted longer than any other coating I had used. I pressure washed the deck to clean dirt and grime, let it dry and rolled the CWF on early in the morning. Don't try it on a hot sun drenched deck or it will clump up and dry as you roll it.

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solutions/product/2/details
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I like CWF UV stain by Flood. It isn't cheap, but lasted longer than any other coating I had used. I pressure washed the deck to clean dirt and grime, let it dry and rolled the CWF on early in the morning. Don't try it on a hot sun drenched deck or it will clump up and dry as you roll it.

+1.......in my opinion it is the best out there. Easy to apply, stand the test of time and is easy to reapply when the time comes.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    edited June 2014
    Options
    My Dad stained some wood decking last spring. He bought two one gallon cans. One can worked fine, the other started peeling off over the winter (less than one year after applying). You could literally grab a piece that was peeling between your fingers, and pull up a four foot piece of the stain. It appears he got a bad batch. The manufacturer reimbursed him for the gallon, but he had to scrape all that off himself. So he switched to some other brand. I just called him to find out what product peeled up, because I would personally avoid it. He said it was Behr Premium Deckover.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Sometimes it is better to wait a few weeks to stain after installing new decks or decking boards with treated wood. Gives the wood time to cure and settle. It seems sometimes the treated wood chemicals don't allow the stain to properly take hold. Just from personal experience
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    edited June 2014
    Options
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Sometimes it is better to wait a few weeks to stain after installing new decks or decking boards with treated wood. Gives the wood time to cure and settle. It seems sometimes the treated wood chemicals don't allow the stain to properly take hold. Just from personal experience

Well 1. you shouldn't stain or paint any treated wood for at least 1year from date of purchase.
    2. Most treated wood is pressure treated which means that they use water to carry the treatment into the wood that MUST dry out to leave the treatment (poison etc.) in the wood.
    3. treating too soon WILL cause bad things to happen like twisting, splitting and curl the water HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE and it will.
    4. you'll waste money and product(stain,paint) if done before that wood has dried completely.

I worked at a lumber yard for years. seen and heard it all for doing it too soon and every time the customer thought we should pay for them NOT reading the products directions that had it plainly stated on the stapled instruction on the wood itself from the maker.....Next time take a cut off and let it sit out then cut after some time you'll still feel wet in the middle.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Interesting feedback so far. Thanks gents. And the porch came with the house, and was built in 2012ish I think? I don't have exact dimensions, but I strongly suspect a gallon would take care of it.

With 2 votes for the Flood product, I'll give that a peek after work. Any other votes for "should use"? And great intel on the Behr brand Hermatism. That is officially now on my do not buy list.

So is one coat usually enough, for those who have done this?

And it sounds like I need to break down and add a pressure washer to the fold, so I can get it done right the first time. Which is fine, I've been pondering picking one up for my vinyl siding anyway.

Keep it coming gents, this is excellent feedback!
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I've used Sikkens on a cedar sunroom since the late eighties. In my opinion there is nothing better.

My deck is in need of restainig too. The Olympic stain started peeling after one season. CFW by Flood is better but didn't impress me overall.
    Every year I plan on removing the deck and replace with hardscaping. So I use inexpensive stain. This year I'm using Sikkens DEK.

+1 what Pittdog2 said.
  • Hermitism
    edited June 2014
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    And great intel on the Behr brand Hermitism. That is officially now on my do not buy list.

So is one coat usually enough, for those who have done this?

And it sounds like I need to break down and add a pressure washer to the fold, so I can get it done right the first time. Which is fine, I've been pondering picking one up for my vinyl siding anyway.

I'm not sure what the reason was for that one bad gallon. It could have froze during transport to the store, or something could have happened at the manufacturing plant. I do know Dad mixed it well, he uses one of those metal stirs that you attach to a drill to mix paints and stains, and always cleans it after. The wood decking was about 10 years old. When my Dad contacted the manufacturer and told them what had happened, the guy from Behr told him you should never pressure wash the wood before because all that does is push all the crud down into the wood. I think he was just trying to get out of reimbursing him. Everyone I know that has sealed a deck has ALWAYS used a pressure washer beforehand. I think Dad waited a week after using the washer before he started staining.

I don't know if this applies to what you will be using, but I've used a clear concrete sealer on a sidewalk before and that product said to never apply it in direct sunlight.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Azek.....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited June 2014
    Options
    http://m.cabotstain.com/product-detail.php?t=Exterior&c=Wood%20Staining%20Products&a=Semi-Solid%20Finish&p=7bd51b47-8cbc-11e2-9064-4fa1f1c236bf

Cabot stains worked the best for me semi solid is the way to go make sure you properly prep your deck.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited June 2014
    Options

Does the old stain need to be stripped completely to apply? I used some Cabot a few years ago and it failed miserably.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Power washing to get dirt and grime will normally take off the old stain along with it. Sanding would be needed on any slivers/splinters that are pulled up so that it is safe for bare feet. You don't need any more than 1k PSI or you could actually remove too much wood. Any stain that is tough enough to stick will be okay to stain over the top of. The CWF is an oil based product, so I wouldn't want to use it over latex painted wood, but it can be purchased with its own coloring mixed in, and I usually reapplied every other year as I liked the fresh look over the weathered look. I was using on redwood deck with cedar lattice. You will want a stain if using over treated wood to get a better look than the green tint the treating gives.

The truth about decks is that if wood is used for a deck, maintenance is required to keep it nice, no easy way out. If I was building from scratch, I would go with a manmade product like Trex or similar composite for durability.

I'm not arguing with anyone as to what is best, only commenting what worked for me keeping a full 3 tier 25x50 deck with a 15x30 pool in it fresh for our 5 kids for 10 years.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Don't use very much pressure from a pressure washer, you can cause yourself a lot of extra work before you realize it. I started using a deck wash brightener liquid from home depot, just spray it on and hose off, looks like new wood after that. Its amazing, the grey just starts dripping off.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I've personally had bad luck with sealers (peeling, flaking, bubbling, etc). Now I stick to staining only on the deck I built. The older one that came with the house I put Restore on it 2 years ago to delay replacement. I'm quite happy with the results.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Inthefade
    Inthefade Posts: 180
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I used Cabot for my cedar fence. Only been a year and a half but looks great still.

No sun fading or peeling as of yet but no foot traffic either.

I powerwashed and let it dry a few days. Also it was about 2 yrs before I got to staining it.
  • ratster
    ratster Posts: 324
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    My Dad stained some wood decking last spring. He bought two one gallon cans. One can worked fine, the other started peeling off over the winter (less than one year after applying). You could literally grab a piece that was peeling between your fingers, and pull up a four foot piece of the stain. It appears he got a bad batch. The manufacturer reimbursed him for the gallon, but he had to scrape all that off himself. So he switched to some other brand. I just called him to find out what product peeled up, because I would personally avoid it. He said it was Behr Premium Deckover.

Your dad's not alone. Both my moms deck and mine are doing the same thing. I'm letting mommy fight this battle for me/us. She's more tactful than I am. A quick google search pulls up a boatload of unhappy people.
    Main
    Parasound P5
    Parasound A21
    CA music streamer
    marantz 6005
    Clear Day dbl.shotgun
    Morrow Xlr
    1.7 Maggies

Bedroom
    adcom Gfp750
    Adcom 555
    Rotel 1072
    CA tuner
    LsiM703
    Clear day dbl shotgun
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Old thread but relevant update. I had mentioned in this thread that my Dad had used some Behr Premium Deckover and it started to peel in about six months to a year and he was told that there was a small bad batch. Well, turns out the problem was more widespread. He received a postcard in the mail last week about a Class Action Settlement. I wanted to post this in case anyone has used this product in the past. It's sold exclusively at Home Depot stores.

Home Depot Class Action Lawsuit Says Behr DeckOver is Defective

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/740899-home-depot-class-action-lawsuit-says-behr-deckover-defective/

Behr DeckOver Resurfacer Class Action Settlement

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/856904-behr-deckover-resurfacer-class-action-settlement/