Ever Had Your Debit/Credit Info Stolen?

Options
2»

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I dont wrap my cards in tin foil yet but I do have a customized hat for similar reasons.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Yes once when I was in medical school... crazy but atleast cc company covered it.

But this thread lit a fire to get me to do what I’ve been procrastinating to do: lock my experian credit report.

So I did that.

My wife did too yesterday.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Yes once when I was in medical school... crazy but atleast cc company covered it.

But this thread lit a fire to get me to do what I’ve been procrastinating to do: lock my experian credit report.

So I did that.

U need to lock the other two as well for it to matter I believe...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

So I did that.

U need to lock the other two as well for it to matter I believe...

Yes that would be correct
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I also read that there is a fort smaller agency, but I didn’t lock that one...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options

So I did that.

It's something easy to not think about until it's too late.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Thanksgiving day one year I was putting gas in our vehicle headed to the in laws, as I was pumping gas I noticed a ladies wallet sitting on top of the pump, I went inside left my info that I had said wallet ( I don’t trust people felt better that I made sure she received her wallet intact.

When we got to the in laws I got inside the wallet to see if I could find a phone number, I found a business card with the same name on the CC’s, called the lady up, she was at home no clue her wallet was missing.

I told her I was willing to met her so she didn’t have to drive that far, she said she would come and pick it up, she showed up I answered the door, she took her wallet turned and walked away, not even a thank you, Happy Thanksgiving, she said nothing just turned and walked away, I was stunned..

Made me wish I had just left it where I found it, yes I know I did the right thing, but it kinda pissed me off..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes but Larry you know you did the right thing. Sometimes doing the right thing is a thankless task. It's the fact that in your soul you know you did good and able to sleep well at night knowing that good karma will come your way because of it.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Yes but Larry you know you did that right thing. Sometimes doing the right thing is a thankless task. It's the fact that in your soul you know you did good and able to sleep well at night knowing that good karma will come your way because of it.

And even though she didn’t say it, who knows what was going on in that women’s life at the time. I’m not excusing her behavior, but we would like a pass when we are really struggling.

In the other hand, maybe she’s just an ungrateful b...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Don't use debit cards, ever. Ignore this warning if you want to, but I told you so....Get a cash-back credit card, every year Capital One buys me a new gun. I like it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    Older thread, but relevant update in regards to us talking about freezing your credit.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/personal-finance/susan-tompor/2018/09/06/equifax-freeze-credit-breach/1156255002/

"Beginning Sept. 21, though, a new federal law will help consumers stop intruders in their tracks. The three big credit reporting agencies — Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — will be required to offer you a credit freeze, free of charge. Such a freeze will restrict access to your credit file and help stop crooks from opening credit cards in your name.

Also starting Sept. 21, parents across the country will be able to get a free credit freeze for children under age 16, too. A child's credit file would be frozen until the child is old enough to use credit."
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    X wife stole mine and ran up debt with everyone, including back taxes for jobs I never held that I had to pay the IRS... cost me over 25k just to the feds and another 12k or so for credit cards...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    X wife stole mine and ran up debt with everyone, including back taxes for jobs I never held that I had to pay the IRS... cost me over 25k just to the feds and another 12k or so for credit cards...

Sweet little angels ain't they ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's