MoFi PhonoStudio Pre Opinions?

Want a better phono stage than the 70s vintage Yamaha receiver I'm using as a preamp. Dual 1019 turntable, AT12se cart with Shibata stylus. Looking at Vincent PHO-8, Lounge LCR Mkiii, and now MoFi PhonoStudio.

Thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Hey @Dr_Wu,

I have no experience with the options you listed.

This article may shed some light on some of your options (keep in mind there are more!):

https://themasterswitch.com/best-phono-preamps

I have heard good things about the Schiit Mani as well as Lounge Audio. Parks Audio has a very good reputation. If you are a DIY guy, the Bottlehead kits offer an extremely good value for the money. @ALL212 had a very nice kit available for sale. You'd be hard pressed to do better for the money.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Thanks Halo. I'm also considering a used Graham Slee Gram Amp2 SE.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The 1970s Yamaha phono preamps were better'n average for their time (and for the massmarket), IMO. Just wanted to mention that.

I realize that's a pretty worthless observation, but I would think one corollary would be that you'll need to aim fairly high to substantially better what you have -- although that is somewhat dependent on exactly which "1970s Yamaha" you're talkin' about and, of course, its 'rehabilation state'. A 40-year old electronic component chockablock with electrolytic capacitors isn't operating at its best in 2018 without some TLC :p

I haven't heard the MoFi, but I suspect there's a certain premium in price for the name and I also suspect that the design is fairly pedestrian. These are not informed opinions, though!

The Graham Slee preamps are held to be pretty good, but I've no ears on experience.

I do like the soiled state phono preamp I use, but it's an older model, and a bit obscure to begin with :| (i.e., I can't be much help!).

• Dr_Wu
    Thanks mhardy. The Yamaha is the entry level CR-400. I bought it for next to nothing and only had it checked out and cleaned up. Bought it to use only as a preamp when I bought my first stand alone amplifier. I have no complaints about the CD thru AUX sound, but I have to bump the volume up pretty high before I get full and balanced sound from vinyl - before that, my field "center" (especially vocals) is subdued. The loudness switch is a mixed bag - top and bottom volumes are boosted, but clarity is degraded.

My thinking is that maybe a separate phono pre will "fix" this. But, maybe what I really need is more wpc from my amp (75 @ 8ohms; 125 @ 4ohms) -- speakers are SDA-CRS (6 ohm, nominal).

Anyway, I'm off to dig into the specs on the Yamaha phono stage, as well as the AT12se cartridge. It should be easier than this, right? Remember when you could go to a store and listen to stuff?
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    The only Yamaha of that era I have is a CR-1000... it'd be very cool to have a CR-200, 400, 600 or 800 (from the perspective of a completist).

Funny that the CR-400 has fixed loudness contour. I didn't know that!

Sounds like your fundamental issue is insufficient gain for your cartridge.
    I am not familiar with it, I did find data for three AT12 morphs at www.vinylengine.com

obolq8pzho1g.png

Looks like 4.2 mV, give or take Not particularly high, but not particularly low, either.
    EDIT: although the "Sa" morph is rated at 2.7 mV, which is kind of low.

Yeah, you probably should invest in a good modern MM phono preamp...although you also might want to consider investing in a new/better
    cartridge while you're at it :p

Disclaimer: by and large, I am not much of an A-T cartridge fan. The ones I find OK, I cannot afford ;)

• mhardy6647

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/cr-400.shtml

sez phono sensitivity is 3 mV, so maybe(?) cuttin' it a little fine @ 4.2 (ish) mV.
  • Dr_Wu
    OK, I'm an idiot. The cart is AT12Sa (not Se). Supposedly well-regarded as supporting the Shibata stylus). Cart has been on the turntable since at least 1978 - earlier this year replaced the stylus with a nude Shibata made by AT for JVC's iteration of the AT12Sa cart.

• mhardy6647
    Well, if that chart I found is accurate -- yup, you need more gain :)

zszdxr3be0sh.png
  • Dr_Wu
    So, apparently my optimum phono stage gain should be between 42 and 51 dB (depending on whose calculation method you use: KAB v. theabsolutesound). The Yamaha gain derived from 3 mV sensitivity is 38 dB.

Does this sound right? And, if so, should I be looking for a phono preamp capable of 42-51 dB of gain (assuming I keep the AT cart)?
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    I've never gotten that scientific about it, believe it or not! :p
    That said, yeah, I would think 40-plus is where you wanna be.

Not enough gain per se is usually, mostly, an inconvenience (i.e., just turn the volume up more) -- however, "optimum" gain will help achieve the best overall s/n, which is a good thing both practically and theoretically. :)

• Dr_Wu
    Enjoyed the discussion mhardy! Thanks.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2018
    Ditto!

Unfortunately, I am prettty shallow when it comes to the topic of modern phono preamps :blush:
  • mhardy6647
    ooh, ohh, oh!
    I missed that you were considering the LCR Mk iii
    I've read really good and interesting things about those, and may yet get the chance to try one.

This thread, from Elsewhere, might (?) be worth a look:
    http://www.hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/lounge-audio-lcr-iii-phono-preamp-build-and-review-thread-the-doorway-giant-killer.3430/
  • Dr_Wu
    Yeah, great reviews. 40 dB gain.
    OTOH, the MoFi StudioPhono can handle MM/MC and has adjustable gain settings of 40, 46, 60 and 66 dB, and adjustable input impedance settings, too.
  • mhardy6647
    go for it! :) Report back on how you like it, too, please!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Have you considered the Cambridge Audio solo?
  • Dr_Wu
    Just looked at it, Joe. Gain is a tad low at 39 dB.

The owner of Lounge Audio personally answered my email and advised that he has been boosting the gain in the LCR Mkiii. It's now 42.5 dB.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Understood
    I am happy with mine at a reasonable price. But didn’t need as much gain with my Nagaoka cart
    Good luck
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    edited September 2018
    I own the Mofi. I find it very impressive for its price point, I'm running it with a Denon 110 cartridge. I have also ran an Adcom XC/LT and a Denon 103r. I thought it performed well with all three.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Dr_Wu
    Thanks trav. I just ordered one, and can't wait to break it in.