Joule Electra LA-100 Phase Inversion

Options
Can someone please explain to me the functional result of the LA 100s phase inversion described below? It doesn’t reverse the left and right channels, does it?

I ask because I just discovered, strangely, that my left and right channels are indeed reversed. It’s probably the speaker cables that are crossed in the crawlspace under the listening room, but as that’s not easily accessible I can’t really check.

Thanks.

5nl2jnzd9q6m.jpeg
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
- Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
Cabling by Groneberg
Visuals
https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    It changes what’s positive and negative not the actual L or R.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    The reason your speakers are reversed is explained in the very 1st sentence by the term "is phase inverting". You can do as described in the following sentences if the pre-amps doesn't include a "phase" switch on the pre.

Do a Google search for more info as camps are divided about this issue.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Also recording engineer's use phase inversion as a production technique. So even if your system is in absolute phase for one recording, it may not be for another. It's a sticky subject that can be debated on both sides.

This link might help. It's about mixing audio, but the principles of audio phase are the same.

https://www.uaudio.com/blog/understanding-audio-phase/
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    It changes what’s positive and negative not the actual L or R.

Thanks. I think this answers my question. I just need to switch the right and left cable to get things back in their proper order.

Thanks also to @heiney9.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    It's not switching left and right "channels"...
    It's reversing the phase of the + and - on the input/output of each channel.

I ran into this with my Rogue 66 pre amp. A suggestion is to switch the polarity at the speakers. I have done it either way and noticed no discernable difference in sound quality.

Hope this clears that up....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The reason your speakers are reversed is explained in the very 1st sentence by the term "is phase inverting".

^ That is incorrect ^

Russ nailed it........
    It's not switching left and right "channels"...
    It's reversing the phase of the + and - on the input/output of each channel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    Options
    I didn't say "channels" it's the positive and negative on ONE channel being reversed. And yes what I copied from the onwer's manual is correct. If it inverts phase and your amp doesn't invert phase then the signal is out of phase.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    I see what you were trying to say now Brock. It came off like you were saying the reason his left channel is playing in his right and vice versa was due to the inverted phase.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Settle down and know your role, Brock....
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,339
    Options
    Shut up Russ.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Give the +/- switch a try. Helped in my case. Not huge, but definitely discernible.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I reverse the speaker connections on the amp side. Without this my sound was very spatial yet had n "weight" and "something" was missing.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Hows that Joule burning in Kerry ?

You haven't bought anything in like a week, getting that itch ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable