Adcom GFA-7400 - pop sound

Options
dricosr
dricosr Posts: 15
edited September 2018 in Electronics
I just got an used GFA-7400 on ebay on a very good condition almost like new. There is a noticable popping sound when powering up.

The amp is connected thru a 12v trigger cable to a Yamaha RX-A830 receiver. The amp is powering my front stage and the receiver the in-ceiling front and rear surrounds. When powering down there a minor click sound on sequence by each channel.

I tested manually powering the amp 30 seconds after the pre-amp and still can hear the ‘pop’. I have lowered the starting sound level on the pre-amp and the pop level didn’t change.

Should I be concerned? I have read conflicting views on this topic. Thanks!
- Front LR RTIA5
- Center CSIA4 and TCI80
- Presence/Height LR TCI80
- Rear LR RCI80
- Subwoofers 2 PSW111
- AVR Yamaha RX-A830, amp Adcom GFA-7400

Patio: Atrium 4 and Sonos Connect amp

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I think a on/off thump for most electronics is normal, although I’m not familiar with the Adcom offerings. A lot of amplifiers are designed to keep the from happening. The older GFA models weren’t, and often when you would power them down you would hear a thumping sound several times in a row.
    Long story short, it is normal AFAIK. Someone more familiar with this amp will be able to give you a better answer, but I know the older models popped, so why shouldn’t the newer ones?
  • dricosr
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Let’s hope is normal then. I don’t mind the pop as long as doesn’t damage my speakers.
    - Front LR RTIA5
    - Center CSIA4 and TCI80
    - Rear LR RCI80
    - Subwoofers 2 PSW111

• codycatalist
    Options
    My Adcom GFA 545 does the same. I believe it is due to no relay on start up, I wouldn't worry too much.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    I agree. I have a GFA 7500. Normal for Adcom start up.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • dricosr
    Options
    Thanks all for your input. Glad to hear is nothing to worry.
    - Front LR RTIA5
    - Center CSIA4 and TCI80
    - Rear LR RCI80
    - Subwoofers 2 PSW111

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Have had 3 GFA-555s, a GFA-5500 and a GFA-5503 and every single one of them had that power on thump.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip