MQA computer

So now I have the ability to stream MQA through my CXN, I am wondering the following:
Does it really matter what spec computer I get as long as it can unfold the first step of the MQA?
I used my wife’s MacBook Pro last night and the results were phenomenal
I’m wondering if I get a mini pc for about $2-300 if I would get the same results?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    DSkip wrote: »
    Does the CXN not stream MQA via tidal? This is what you should be doing if its possible.

+1

I have a Bryson bdp-1 in the living room and a little Intel NUC computer in the bedroom that is the music server. I also use the computer to stream Roon and tidal. While the computer is fine, the Bryston is FAR superior. Not even close. So use the Cambridge if possible.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    So it will not stream MQA direct from Tidal
    Not sure why it doesn’t but if that’s the case ((meaning it’s not an MQA approved hardware) then why am I getting 24/192 when hooked to USB?
  • rooftop59
    With the Bryston I have to go through roon to get tidal with MQA. Not sure why it’s saying that though...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • joecoulson
    It’s strange.
    Again Cambridge says there is no decoder built in but then say:
    The Tidal Music desktop app can also be played from your PC or Mac through a USB Audio connection to your Cambridge Audio network player. This will also give access to the Tidal Masters service and access to MQA content, which is currently unavailable through the mobile app.
    It will give me the bit rate of my source when playing and when streaming the masters is says 24/192. Maybe that just default for usb and really I’m just getting upsampled 16/44.1?
  • rooftop59
    So you have a pc connected to the cambridge? The tidal app on a pc can unfold MQA and pass it along decoded to a dac. So if you streaming through a pc and just using the Cambridge as a dac then you should be getting the unfolded MQA...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • joecoulson
    In theory, but I read there are two unfolds. Meaning the MAC will get it up to 96k via the app ( first unfold) but then if the DAC is not MQA, then it stays there because there is no second unfold to 24/192
    But mine is getting That second unfold somehow, how else would I get 192 final rate?
    Unless somehow the software in the CXN , which I have a box checked that says beta firmware ( or something to the effect of the latest software with rollback should it not work right), is doing another unfold?
    My ears were definitely telling me there was a difference in the masters tracks vs 44.1. Just not sure how I’m getting the 192 based on all I’m reading.
  • rooftop59
    He said he thought it sounded better skip?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • joecoulson
    I agree it’s confusing as on paper what I’m doing should not sound as good as 44.1 FLAC direct from Tidal on the CXN, but it does.
    Hence not wanting to spend 1-2k on a Mac to chase the file. Just 2-300 to see if it works.
    I dunno.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    I would reach out to Cambridge technical support for some insight. In my opinion all of this MQA nonsense should be handled by the CXN itself, without the need for an external computer of any kind.
  • joecoulson
    I agree.
    I’m downloading some DSD and 24/192 files now to see if I can a/b test the MQA from the Mac and see if I hear any differences.
  • joecoulson
    One thing I just keep coming back to you is why would the streamer show 192 if I was not unwrapping the entire file? Meaning everything I read says that if you unwrap it once you get to 24/96 and the full unwrap gets the 192. The CXN seems to be taking that first unwrap (from the Tidal app) and doing something to it.
    On a side note, if you have a dsd or 24/192 file locally, how would you guys get that file to your DAC? Usb drive, Mac or something else? Seems to me we are back at the best way to get the 1’s and 0’s to the DAC correct?
  • joecoulson
    And I ask because as I download these hi res files to a usb drive, I’m wondering if that transfer is cleaner than the Mac? And is that the best way to get those files there?
  • joecoulson
    Ah. That makes sense. I thought the native signal of the MQA was 192. If it’s 384 then I’m not getting that last unfold.
    Thank You
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Joe, I admire your patience to get this absurd proprietary DRM functioning correctly.
  • joecoulson
    edited September 2018
    I did some A/B with the DSD and FLAC files I downloaded. And what a diff the DSD is over 44k
    The FLAC’s were no slouch (24/192) but the DSD’s seemed to have more decay and more defined soundstage but both whooped the 44k versions.
    Loving the CXN and no doubt having the streamer kicks the snot out of the pc/Mac by itself.
  • joecoulson
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Joe, I admire your patience to get this absurd proprietary DRM functioning correctly.

Lol Drew. I have two very needy children, this stuff relaxes me.
  • joecoulson
    In my fathers house - Eric Bibb
    Opus 3 DSD 64x
    Chills.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ah, the simplicity of pushing play on my CD/SACD players......pure pleasure.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I've got other choices, vinyl, which I'm loving.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    I am going to say it must be my particular setup, but the DSD and 192 FLAC’s seem to have all around better sound than my SACD’s. Again, must be the DAC in the 2910 not up to par with the same in the CXN. I have yet to A/B vinyl vs the hi res downloads, but I think my vinyl setup is not up to snuff for that challenge.
    As far as MQA, I think I will leave that alone for the time being.
    I just bought a fast 128gb thumb drive to leave plugged into the CXNfor all my digital music.