OK to use 2 centers as main horizontally?

Options
I can get 2 new Klipsch RP 504c for the same price as their bookshelves. is it OK to use them as main in a 2.1 setup?
ykedvvoddxzd.jpg

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Put the tweets together and maybe angle the woofers in a slight v to break up the front baffle

But yep
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    Options
    put the tweeters together? what does it mean?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I messed around with two cs400is years ago (hey wait that sounds kinda dirty) and I didn’t enjoy it. I can’t remember what mains I have at the time, but I think it was the rt7s which are similar: I MUCH preferred the monitors, and I really like the cs400i. I still use one in fact...just my two cents.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • VR3
    Options
    Ah I misunderstood, I thought you were saying use bookshelf speakers as a center.

I wouldn't use a center for mains
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    nhhiep wrote: »
    I can get 2 new Klipsch RP 504c for the same price as their bookshelves. is it OK to use them as main in a 2.1 setup?
    ykedvvoddxzd.jpg

Depends who ask or should I say, where you ask. Here I believe you will get the proper advice, no. At AK where some think using Monitor 10's on their sides is ok I suspect they will tell you it's ok to use centers as mains.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    Options
    Center channels are to voiced to project human voices above everything else, and the drivers are often staggered (each speaker has a different crossover point) to help avoid lobbing effects. This all makes them good center channels, but bad for two channel listening. If you have experienced a good two channel setup, I don’t think you’ll like it. If you’re moving from a Bluetooth speaker or sound bar, you might think it’s great. But I would make sure I could return the speakers in case you don’t like it if you decide to try it...which I wouldn’t recommend.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • nhhiep
    Options
    this is a 3 ways speaker. more drivers than their bookshelf version rp 600m. I was thinking the soundstage would be wider, fuller sound. no?
  • F1nut
    Options
    No and for the reasons roof stated

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nhhiep
    Options
    so if these are voiced for human voice and since my setup is 90% karaoke. would my case best if I use center as main?
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    If you do use the centers as mains, make sure you cross them over and don’t run them full range, even at low volumes, as they are not meant to play much bass.
  • F1nut
    Options
    so if these are voiced for human voice and since my setup is 90% karaoke. would my case best if I use center as main?

Get yourself some PA speakers and a pro amp.

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Agreed: nothing special needed for karaoke...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • ken brydson
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Except earplugs....
  • nhhiep
    Options
    I can't get pass the pa speakers weird look. this system is in the living room
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I can't get pass the pa speakers weird look. this system is in the living room

Even these would give you more of what you're after than using a center channel as mains.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE66--presonus-eris-e66-dual-6.5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I onced helped a guy carry in a pair of 100k planer speakers for his rig. It was top of the line Macintosh front end. So when i asked to hear them(speakers) he called up to his wife and asked her to audition them for me. Little did i know what was about to accost my ears. I never again asked to listen to those speakers and system.
    I asked why he chose them and he said they were so lifelike, I right then wished they were a less (ok a lot less) lifelike...

There are better speakers for what you are going to use them for. They may be over driven with voice from karaoke.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Jerry rig how one wants. No issue and rock on wit'yo'bad self.

When you want real advice on a real system? Come to us for advice.

*Disclosure* No offense to those named Jerry*.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Jerry rig how one wants.

*Disclosure* No offense to those named Jerry*.

What about Germans?
  • treitz3
    Options
    Not part of he topic of the thread. Therefore, I cannot comment.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    Options
    Not part of he topic of the thread. Therefore, I cannot comment.

Tom

HAHAHAHAHA

Hey, why do you always write your name after you post?
  • treitz3
    edited September 2018
    Options
    To piss off Russ.

No other reason, really....it drives him Nuckin' Futz.

Tom
  • Viking64
    Options
    To piss off Russ.

No other reason, really....it drives him Nuckin' Futz.

Tom

:p He likes to piss. This must be why.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    He gets @lightman1 really cranky when you "warm up" his leg.....
    Or so I've heard B)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I have y'alls addresses.....
  • VR3
    Options
    That explains it...

- Not Tom
  • Viking64
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    y'alls

Is that a contraction for Lucy Ball? I had only heard her referred to as "Lucille" when using her last name. :p
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    cq1gum7ak8nb.gif
    Viking64 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    y'alls

Is that a contraction for Lucy Ball? I had only heard her referred to as "Lucille" when using her last name. :p

• Viking64
    Options
    Shut up, rOss.

It's Jim Reynolds, not Ryan Reynolds. :p

Jem