Anybody else made fun of for putting money into this hobby?

Options
2»

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Micah, good on you for not caring what they think man!

Next time someone questions why you spend so much on good gear, just ask them what kind of headphones they have plugged into their phones. When half of them say Beats, just nod, smile, and say ‘uh-huh’...

None of them have Beats, they are the $5 earbuds from Walmart kind of people. :wink:
    VR3 wrote: »
    If you want to get them interested, you just need to sell everything....

Get a surround bar and a ultra 13 sub from svs.

lol exactly.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Good audio is something you discover an appreciation for on your own. It's not something you can drag people to kicking and screaming.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    Options
    I didn't try to drag anyone into the hobby, I have just told them about it, and they shake their head in disappointment. :confused:
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Haters are gonna hate, no matter what. And I think you're right about the high school mentality. Kids will make fun of anything out of the norm.

Honestly at this point, the digital playback on a phone may sound 'better' (more accurate, for sure), but sometimes it's more about the experience than accuracy, and as you make upgrades, the accuracy will increase. You're laying a foundation for the future...call it an investment. You've got several hundred dollars worth of gear that likely won't depreciate much more in value at this point. And as you tinker with your gear, you'll pickup some useful skills along the way.

And hey, they don't need to know your business anyway (i.e., how much you spend on stuff). Very few people will actually have an interest in this hobby, so trying to talk to them about it often falls on deaf ears...ironically. Even as adults, we often want to try and generate interest about our hobbies with our friends, but it can come across as bragging, which then makes it worse. If someone shows interest, you can 'go there', but otherwise, just let the music play B) You've always got the guys here to 'geek out' with :)

P.S. I'm sure if a few girls like your system, your buddies will quit hating ;)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mlistens03
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Haters are gonna hate, no matter what. And I think you're right about the high school mentality. Kids will make fun of anything out of the norm.

Honestly at this point, the digital playback on a phone may sound 'better' (more accurate, for sure), but sometimes it's more about the experience than accuracy, and as you make upgrades, the accuracy will increase. You're laying a foundation for the future...call it an investment. You've got several hundred dollars worth of gear that likely won't depreciate much more in value at this point. And as you tinker with your gear, you'll pickup some useful skills along the way.

And hey, they don't need to know your business anyway (i.e., how much you spend on stuff). Very few people will actually have an interest in this hobby, so trying to talk to them about it often falls on deaf ears...ironically. Even as adults, we often want to try and generate interest about our hobbies with our friends, but it can come across as bragging, which then makes it worse. If someone shows interest, you can 'go there', but otherwise, just let the music play B) You've always got the guys here to 'geek out' with :)

P.S. I'm sure if a few girls like your system, your buddies will quit hating ;)

I don't tell friends how much things cost, but me and Jace were talking about it one day at youth group, and another friend (the one who thinks his phone sounds better) came over and heard us.
    I've never met a girl who when told about my sound system, didn't look at me like I've lost my marbles. ;) Oh well, no loss for me, although some of my friends would probably disagree.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Although I haven't purchased anything for a while now due to uncontrollable circumstances.

I do get a little grief from one relative that say's I should sell stuff if it's only going to sit on a shelf.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Although I've been made fun of but not for this hobby in the past. It's not for everyone (thankfully). To the OP, while the others are wasting their money trying to impress others you've been acquiring items which could last a very long time and you are doing it for you and no one else. That's all that matters.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Stay away from classic cars, stick to audio. God forbid you get bit by both. Although my audio purchases are dictated by whatever funds are leftover after the cars.

Upside to audio is you can enjoy it at all times.

Have fun in your audio journey.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I didn't try to drag anyone into the hobby, I have just told them about it, and they shake their head in disappointment. :confused:

They can't miss what they've never heard.

Then again, some people aren't moved in their souls by musical sounds or people singing.

Look at the Estate sale ads that have pictures. 95% don't have anything but a little table radio in a 300K house. It's just not their desire to hear singers or musicians do their things.

Maybe they get their fill at churches during the week. I don't know but I don't judge.

My wife and step daughter LOVE music but a stereo to listen by...eh...they have their cars for that. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    With my wife... Musicast from Yamaha is what made this hobby fun for her...

I'll come home and she will have all three rooms going like a concert... She doesn't sit down in the sweet spot, she just makes the house the sweet spot haha
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    With my wife and my transformers... Musicast from Yamaha is what made this hobby fun for her...

I'll come home and she will have all three rooms going like a concert... They don't sit down in the sweet spot, they just makes the house the sweet spot haha

Fixed.. ;)
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options

You can't just tell them about it. If its anyone you care about just turn on your stereo next time they are at your house. Then they should understand.

Compared to other here I have a very modest system. But my son had a bunch of millennials over for a party and I turned on the stereo. It blew them all away. Seems like they only listened to MP3's with earbuds.

Later that night I went down and one of them was just sitting alone and listening.

I know I got at least one convert............

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    Compared to other here I have a very modest system. But my son had a bunch of millennials over for a party and I turned on the stereo. It blew them all away. Seems like they only listened to MP3's with earbuds.

Later that night I went down and one of them was just sitting alone and listening.
    And thinking, "How can I get all this stuff outta here with no one noticing until I'm gone..."

I disabled signatures.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Best way to make a convert: Bluetooth speaker vs your system. Use the same source and material if you can. The Bluetooth shouldn't stand a chance. And then they CAN hear what they're missing.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    I just get made fun of. No one knows I have an audio hobby.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    delkal wrote: »

You can't just tell them about it. If its anyone you care about just turn on your stereo next time they are at your house. Then they should understand.

I know I got at least one convert............

This is what I like to do, but most of my friends rarely if ever get to come over. I do have one friend who is so, so close to the edge of the rabbit hole, and I think we’re gonna have him over next week sometime.
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Best way to make a convert: Bluetooth speaker vs your system. Use the same source and material if you can. The Bluetooth shouldn't stand a chance. And then they CAN hear what they're missing.

I did this for my friend who thinks his phone is better, and he still said “my phone is better”. What I’ve decided the reason is is that he is so used to the lack of bass, that any bass at all sounds bad to him. He asked my why I have the bass turned up so much, and when I showed him that the bass is actually slightly turned down, he thought I was messing with him.
    I’ve had very few people come over to my house, and most that do don’t become audiophiles, but they also don’t poke fun anymore.
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    There are very few inexpensive hobbies out there. You just need to find like minded friends. Not even of the audio sort but someone to relate to. If fixing classic cars helps you(someone you know) escape the every day mundane life then mission accomplish. That person should have no reason to "throw stones". The point to any hobby isn't the cost but the journey. Keep cranking the tunes Friend.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    If you want to get them interested, you just need to sell everything....

Get a surround bar and a ultra 13 sub from svs.

Ha! "It's all about the bass, bout the bass, bout the bass" Right Dan!? ;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    "Don't want no Treble" :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I’m not at all worried about it, I’m just asking if y’all have similar experiences.
    The difference between all those things (except cars) is that Audio is head and shoulders above the rest in price. I think that is what gets my friends, not that I have this stuff, but how much it’s cost me.

Hmm depends. If I gather all the money I spent on my PS4 and games over time, PSN, controllers AND a TV to play them on I am WAYYYYY over what I spent on my modest set up. That's taking into account the upgrades I made to my SDAs which is the bulk of my costs. I think it relates more to what Doc said again, most people wouldn't bat an eye at a $1200 TV but would think you are crazy for spending $1200 on an amp.

Can audio get more expensive than games, TV, entertainment...well yeah but I have learned there are levels to EVERYTHING in life.

Btw I only have maybe one or two friends that are as into audio as I am, I enjoy being able to make their night with a listening session but they are few and far between. I may be 26 but I am always busy with work, family etc etc.

Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Plus may I add that my main excuse to my wife is "These speakers and amps will last YEARS, we can even pass them onto the kids".

>:)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member