Karma: Supra Quadrax speaker wire pair - 8 ft + 6 ft length

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
So I have some left over lengths of this that could work in some folks systems...

8 ft approx. one piece and 6 ft the other... approx. $120 retail if you were to order from Madisound

Pick a number 1 through 100, will give it until mid next week or so... just ask the winner writes a review of their thoughts! :)

Polkies over 50 posts preferably

djk3fu1kjgzo.jpg

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-wire/supra-quadrax-speaker-cable-by-the-foot/

From Supra's site -

"Really affordable High-End Loudspeaker Cable featuring Tube Conductors of 4 x 2.0 mm2 at such a price it is nothin less than a bargain.
The tube conductor design means that 120 individually tin plated strands in a braid forms a tube around a PP plastic core. It forces the music signal to meet the same crossection area irrespective of frequency. The higher frequency, the further out in the conductor perimeter the law of physics forces the signal, hence resulting in unequal conductivity properties for the various frequencies. If adressed in the cable design with tube formed leads we manage the differencies efficiently allowing for a flat frequency response, ultra-fast transients and transparency. If configured in a Star Quad conductor formation (single wire/full range) RFI pickup and outgoing magnetic fields (lowered induktance) are almost completely cancelled out, thanks to the symmetry of current in the opposite conductor pairs. Finally the strand tin plating will counteract any current jumps tendencies between the strands thus creating a diode effect followed by corresponding phase shift.
In addition to the malignant inductance affecting any power transmissions with high current transients, we have also gained a lowered capacitance. The capacitance is considered less malignant in speaker circuitry, but if possible it should also kept as low as possible since it also contributes to a treble roll-off and phase shift. The special PolyPropylene (PP) insulation and conductor core is chemically and physically extremely stable and features low capacitance.
What will you experience? We think that you will have a dynamic explosion, especially if you own a powerful amplifier and larger pair of speakers. The vast majority who tested this cable, sum up its properties as very dynamic and expressions like "this is really rock'n'roll" is not unusual. And this is off course both flattering and awaited, since we designed it to be an alternative high-end cable, for those how wanted a more straight forward sounding, but still remain faithfull to the very fabric of Supra Cables no-nonsense concept."
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Not in, but cool Karma!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Very cool Trey! In w 42!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Very nice of you. In with 44. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Not in cuz it's probably better than my systems deserve, but cool karma.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Very cool....in with 62.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Sweet....in with 23 please
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    In with 79 please, great karma!
  • VR3
    I forgot to mention... These wires work best in a shotgun configuration...

The red and blue are meant to be tied and the white and black tied to keep the twist complete. You can use these as a Bi wire cable but they sound better tied...

And they take a little bit to burn in
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    In with 13 please. Been using shotgun configured Canare 4s11 for years now. Time to switch it up.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ooh, ooh -- some of us :p are always looking for new kindsa wire to try!
    In, if you please, with numbah... umm... 87.

Thank you, very nice Karma.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Not in but sweet karma!
  • In with 33, thanks for the opportunity!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Very cool Karma. Sadly, those runs (one of them) are too short for me. Trey graciously offered them to me in our deal for his Utopias B) Nonetheless, based on his recommendation, I ordered 8 meters off eBay, which should arrive tomorrow :)

Trey, for bare wire termination, do you trim-out an inch or so of each conductor's plastic core, and then twist the strands of two conductors together? Maybe then tin/solder the twists?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    edited September 2018
    The way I usually prep these for connections and bare wire...

You want to slowly and carefully cut away 8 inches or so of the molded outer jacket...

Then very carefully remove approximately 1.5 inch so the individual jackets for each conductor.

You then pull back the windings around the poly core, cut poly core then twist together the positives and then negatives...

You want to try to avoid soldering these cables if you can.

These cables are very thick, a little over 3/4 inch diameter but once you remove the core from each conductor the wire is not super thick by design, so that's why I strip so much back so I am left with a decent amount of wire for connections
  • jdjohn
    Thanks for the tips. With fewer strands, I imagine removing the inner jackets should be done very carefully in order to avoid cutting any strands. Any particular reason not to solder the twisted strand tips? It helps protect the individual strands from bending/breaking, so it is my inclination.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    The cable is not designed to withstand the temperatures.

Supra terminates these by high pressure crimp fittings from the factory
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips. With fewer strands, I imagine removing the inner jackets should be done very carefully in order to avoid cutting any strands. Any particular reason not to solder the twisted strand tips? It helps protect the individual strands from bending/breaking, so it is my inclination.

They are already tined from the factory. Maybe that is why.
  • VR3
    edited September 2018
    I know quite a few manufactures don't solder connections and aim more towards compression type fittings.

I usually put some heat shrink on the ends to help secure the pair together
  • jdjohn
    Roger that. I read how some Supra cables are tin-covered copper, but wasn't sure about the Quadrax. I should have a visual tomorrow.

Good luck to all participants in this very generous Karma offering!
  • VR3
    That's awesome. I think you will be happy! Just remember they are directional
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Nice karma, in with 51.
  • jdjohn
    VR3 wrote: »
    That's awesome. I think you will be happy! Just remember they are directional
    Whoa...never realized they are directional. I'll definitely check for that.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Cool karma. In with 49 please.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    In with 90, thanks for the opportunity!
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    In with 18!
    Thanks, Trey . . . appreciated!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • jdjohn
    One of you hombres is in for a treat! I prepared and installed my order of raw cable Supra Quadrax mentioned earlier, and I'm very impressed. Thanks to Trey @VR3 for the install tips and the recommendation of these cables B) Who knew?!? Those Swedes really know their speaker cables!

The individual strands are definitely tin-plated copper as seen here:
    syp56m39bgt7.jpg
    Here are the paired conductors twister together with clear heat-shrink done shrunk.
    8u1edaxth5y6.jpg
    And then finally installed...embracing bare wire!
    tc61222fzopj.jpg
    Ok...full confession: the strands on the amp-end of the cables were too thick for the posts on my McCormack DNA-125, so I attached locking plugs to the amp-end of the cables.

And then the sound...

Another example of 'you don't know til you know'. I was comparing the Supra Quadrax to some OFC 14AWG cable from Monoprice. The Quadrax cable opened another dimension in the playback sound for me. I think the most impressive gain was in bass, being more full and refined than the standard cables. But I don't want to ignore the mid- and high-frequencies. There is more air around instruments and vocals...a refinement.

I first prepared and installed the shorter run (right channel on my system), and had some immediate listening first impressions. Then I blind-tested my wife on each channel, and like me, she preferred the right channel :) Don't you love it when they agree? :D

She was very quick in her preference towards the right side. I asked, "Are you sure? You were perfectly happy with the left side a week ago." She replied, "Well, I didn't know then what I know now. I like this better...I'm going upstairs now." There ya go - about the closest to a blind test as I will get at mein haus.
  • VR3
    Very nice, glad to hear you are digging them

They need a hundred hours or so to burn in

Will wrap this karma up Wednesday