RIP Burt Reynolds

Comments

• I agree I didn’t expect this one. Looked good for his age.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    RIP sir. There's always some quote or personality trait from the Smokey and the Bandit series that myself and some friends always share.

Very glad to have grown up during that era, even being a kid.
    halo wrote: »
    Very sad indeed. 10-4 good buddy, over and out.

Bandit-with-Burt-Reynolds.jpg

Cool car, BTW. A friend of mine owned one. Note the smaller "Hurst" t-tops on the Bandit edition.

"The Special Edition Package, sometimes referred to as the Bandit package, consisted of a gold bird decal on the hood, gold pinstriping, German-style T/A lettering and twin gold front grilles. Also, all Trans Ams with the Special Edition package were painted black and came with 15 x 7 snowflake wheels with gold inserts. Interior-wise, all Special Editions had gold engine-turned dash bezels and gold-accented steering wheels. The Special Edition package had option code Y81 without T-tops and Y82 with Hurst T-tops.

Drivers wanting a little more oomph could opt for the W72 Handling Package. This got you a version of the Pontiac 400 V8 with 200 horsepower, 325 lb-ft of torque and an 8.0:1 compression ratio. Buyers also had a choice between a 4-speed manual transmission and a Hydra-Matic automatic transmission. This package got you 20 more horsepower over the Trans Am's standard 400 V8. That might not sound like much, but remember, this was 1977, and drivers were happy to get any performance car with 200 or more horsepower."

I still have my high school car, 1978 T/A, black with black cloth interior....needs a lot of body work but really makes me want to start tearing into it now...kids have taken priority to the car though.

Only big difference from the 77' was the first year of the WS6 suspension. Which offered larger sway bars and 15x8 wheels, mine is also the W72 with the Hurst leak machines.. lol.

• Rip Bandit...

My exact words when I saw this

He was in a comedy movie called "The End" where he was diagnosed with a terminal disease and was trying to cope with his destiny.

He was speaking to his shrink and he summed up death as:

"Death is laying on your back with dirt on your face holding your breath forever"

He was in some very funny movies and loved him in the original "Longest Yard" and played the star incarcerated QB Paul Crewe then came back 31 years later to be in the remake as the old guy Nate

He and Jerry Reed and Jackie Gleason can now be Eastbound and Down for eternity!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ls-QEleksI

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Don't forget Cannonball Run I and II, and The Best Little W House in Texas...

RIP and thanks for the laughs

I started thinking about cannonball run 2 ... then i tried to think how many of them from that movie are still alive and got a bit depressed.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • RIP
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I should add. Theres not many left.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Great fun movies. RIP. Made all black TA’s bad ash for sure! If you had one back then. You really had it going on. My friend Wayne had one and it was such a fun car. T tops and black velvet interior and some Journey jamming on the Pioneer Supertuner with Jensen Triaxials times four. Fun times. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    erniejade wrote: »
    Don't forget Cannonball Run I and II, and The Best Little W House in Texas...

RIP and thanks for the laughs

I started thinking about cannonball run 2 ... then i tried to think how many of them from that movie are still alive and got a bit depressed.

Ya. But so many good memories!

https://youtu.be/jUEfMUmORNI
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    R.I.P. He was a great entertainer!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • halo
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Adrienne Boobeau was hot
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
  • halo
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Adrienne Boobeau was hot

So was Farrah Fawcett!!! :)

Oh man, @erniejade, you're so right. We lost so many of these amazing actors :(
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Always made me laugh. Bought my first "new" car after the Bandit movie came out. Wonder if they'll bury him next to Jackie Gleeson....hmm. RIP brother, thanks for the memories.

Was it a TA? Would've killed for one back then.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    If you guys haven’t seen Boogie Nights you haven’t seen Burt Reynolds act. And you’ve missed a scene that will leave you never hearing the song Sister Christian the same as before. Highly recommended.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Some day I will own one of those Trans Ams...was my favorite car as a kid.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2018
    Don't forget the Cosmo spread.

5hw3qvtdn2jm.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    stretchl wrote: »
    If you guys haven’t seen Boogie Nights you haven’t seen Burt Reynolds act. And you’ve missed a scene that will leave you never hearing the song Sister Christian the same as before. Highly recommended.

Eddie Nash, the guy who Alfred Molina's character is based on, was quite a twisted individual. :p
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Don't forget the Cosmo spread.

5hw3qvtdn2jm.jpg
    Thanks for ruining my childhood memories of Smoky and the Bandit
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Eddie Nash, the guy who Alfred Molina's character is based on, was quite a twisted individual. :p

Indeed he is. That whole movie is twisted.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

Indeed he is. That whole movie is twisted.

But Roller Girl, tho. :o
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

Boogie Nights was pretty good
  • Burt's true love was Dinah Shore. She wouldn't marry him because she was quite a bit older than him.
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited September 2018
    charley95 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Always made me laugh. Bought my first "new" car after the Bandit movie came out. Wonder if they'll bury him next to Jackie Gleeson....hmm. RIP brother, thanks for the memories.

Indeed it was. Car was so cool back then. Then 1980 rolled around and they took the guts out of that car with a wimpy turbo.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited September 2018
    Burt's true love was Dinah Shore. She wouldn't marry him because she was quite a bit older than him.

Yet she is still alive and in her upper 90's...
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Don't forget the Cosmo spread5hw3qvtdn2jm.jpg
    The Burt Reynolds Eclair. fjnsbqyr24lj.png

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861

Indeed it was. Car was so cool back then. Then 1980 rolled around and they took the guts out of that car with a wimpy turbo.

Umm whaaaa???? Ain't nuthin' wimpy about the turbo 3.8 there Tony, that engine is a beast.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739

Umm whaaaa???? Ain't nuthin' wimpy about the turbo 3.8 there Tony, that engine is a beast.

I believe you're referring to the 1989 T/A. The 1980 was offered a 301 V8 turbo. Even if you wanted to crank up the boost, that engine had a puny crankshaft compared to the 400.