Nike' and Kapernick together now.

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    edited September 2018
    You were fortunate that your parentS afforded you the ability to escape from your oppressors. Imagine how your life would be without the luxury of being white.

La2Vegas, That's the key: parentS. According to CNN's Don Lemon, 72% of African-American children are born out of wedlock.
    If having two married parents raising children is one of the luxuries of white culture, than God bless white culture.

And being able to escape from his "oppressors" ?
    Calling his fellow students who were majority black and Latino were "oppressors", isn't that racist ? After all, his fellow non-white students had no institutional power, so they can't be racist so they can't be oppressors.

Sal Palooza
  • DK
    Racism is the combination of prejudice with the power to have serious detrimental effect on the life of a person of a different race. Without the power aspect, racism, or any other discriminatory -ism can't exist.

With the utmost respect DK, that statement is often used by non-white racists to excuse their racism.
    Does any particular group of non-whites have the collective power to be racist toward whites? No. No way. Non-whites don't collectively control the government, banks, media, and schools.

BLM. Southern Poverty Law Center. The 'New" Black Panther Party. Et al.

Sal Palooza
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2018
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Ha, white people don't deal with racism??

Sure, some individual white people experience racism, but what percentage of the white people in the U.S. do you think have a story to tell like yours?

Nationally as a group, have red headed white boys:

1. Been denied access to educational facilites?

2. Been denied access to public facilities?

3. Been denied access to adequate health care?

4. Been denied access to veterans benefits?

5. Been denied access to low cost home loans?

etc., etc.

Far more than you think Ray.... the difference is that talking about it like we are here does not fit the narrative that they want to portray. I would submit for your consideration, that this entire narrative would NOT have occurred had the outcome of the 2016 election been different, and CK would have never taken that knee to begin with.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.“

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/heres-nikes-full-ad-featuring-colin-kaepernick-and-other-athletes.html
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    stretchl wrote: »
    “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.“

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/05/heres-nikes-full-ad-featuring-colin-kaepernick-and-other-athletes.html

Thanks for sharing, I hadn’t seen it before now.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • That's it, that is what all this is about....LOL.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    tonyb wrote: »
    It is almost impossible Ray, for whites to only interact with other whites in the diverse population we have.

According to the 2010 census, the U.S. is 62% white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_States

15 states have a white population of 85% or greater.
    15 states have a white population of 75% - 84.9%
    11 states have a white population of 65% - 74.9%

If a white person lives in the middle of a major cosmopolitan urban center, then yes, I agree that it would be difficult to only interact with other whites. However, if a white person lives in one of the 41 states with LOW minority population, they could easily construct their life so that they only interact with white people. This becomes a default if a white person moves to some rural or suburban areas. Actually there is a term for it: white flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

Hogwash Ray, very few areas are all white to the point you'd never have to interact with any non whites. Even in suburbia, or rural areas, somebody isn't white. A store clerk, labor on a farm, a waitress, a Railroad worker, trucker, Taxi driver,etc.

...and those numbers mean diddly squat. There are more than just 2 races. So what if x state has a certain percentage of whites or xyz state has a higher than normal percentage of blacks, it's not a race to even everything out. Nobody is holding anyone's feet to the fire to live where they live. Some just prefer to live amongst their own kind. Nothing wrong with that. We have in many corners of the country, areas where many races decide to live with their own kind. Little Italy, Greektown, China town, the polish congregate in certain areas of all Polish people, same with the Irish, same with the Muslims, and yes, some blacks prefer to live amongst other blacks too, as do some whites. Does that make them all racists, or just exercising their freedom of choice ?

There's that pesky word again, choice. Nothing is stopping any race from living anywhere they can afford, nothing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Ha, white people don't deal with racism??

Sure, some individual white people experience racism, but what percentage of the white people in the U.S. do you think have a story to tell like yours?

Nationally as a group, have red headed white boys:

1. Been denied access to educational facilites?

2. Been denied access to public facilities?

3. Been denied access to adequate health care?

4. Been denied access to veterans benefits?

5. Been denied access to low cost home loans?

etc., etc.

Yes to all those questions.

Whites are denied access to education because of diversity programs that shut them out.

Whites have been denied access to public areas too, ask any conservative speaker on a college campus.

Whites have been denied access to HC also, because they couldn't pay for a premium policy, same as blacks.

Whites are constantly put on hold at the VA, don't you recall the whole scandal thing, secret waiting lists, etc.

Low cost home loans....whites are denied that too if their credit score doesn't cut the mustard. You telling me blacks should not adhere to the same criteria ? Because that would be racist. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2018
    Now, the administrative levels in the St. Louis Public Schools are DOMINATED by African-American "administrators". The St. Louis Public Schools are, to put it mildly, lacking. Do you think that they take responsibility for the poor functioning schools ? Who do you think they blame ?
    The administrators and the parents of the students are the blame. However, I know several teachers, principals, administrators in the Detroit Public Schools. They have a tall tasks trying to be educators. They deal with so many issues that have nothing to do with education. Hats off to the good teachers in the inner cities. Its a very tough job and only those that truly love connecting, teaching, and nurturing kids will be successful. There are for sure some hurdles that the community has to overcome that are not present in the suburban communities. All have to be accountable for pushing though the hurdles.

Take the point even further, who is taking the blame for the entire USA public school system? We are somewhere in the middle when compared to the World. Given our resources our schools don't produce the results that they should.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • In before the lock, I'm gonna go watch the WET, oh wait, there isn't one... That would be wrong...
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Today’s MVT (most valuable tweet) award:
    aj6lpn5soxv8.png

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    In before the lock, I'm gonna go watch the WET, oh wait, there isn't one... That would be wrong...

Still waiting to get that Anglo-Saxon history month as well... but that too, would be wrong.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • With the utmost respect DK, that statement is often used by non-white racists to excuse their racism.

So what is the correct, non-racist definition of racism?
    BLM. Southern Poverty Law Center. The 'New" Black Panther Party. Et al.

Provide examples of how white people collectively have been disadvantaged by

BLM
    SPLC
    BBPP

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • tonyb
    edited September 2018
    Let's touch on equality for a second, because actually it's a pie in the sky idea. Hear me out before you get your panties in a bunch.

We like to say we are all equal, but we aren't. Maybe equal under the law, but in more practical terms, no we are not.

Some are shorter than others, some taller, some smarter, some dumber, some fatter, some skinnier. Some are born into wealth, some into poverty. Some are afforded greater opportunity because of that wealth, others not so much. Some have a deep rooted desire to achieve, others would rather play video games and eat Doritos all day. Some are male, some female, some have different color than others.

We are all different, with different skill sets, different income levels, different desires. You can not even that out nor should one want to, it's what makes us all who we are. Nobody is to blame, it's not necessarily the fault of one specific thing that makes us all different. Fact remains though, that we are.

Except in todays society, for some reason, we feel a need to even everything out. Everyone gets a trophy, hiring quotas in the name of diversity, excessive welfare benefits, and on and on. Even gender identity. That's not evening things out, that's discrimination, not recognizing achievement, removing drive. Does absolutely zero in teaching people how to be self sustaining and achieve. Does zero in teaching our youth how to deal with disappointment, how to overcome obstacles and move forward.

Because of the fact that we are not all equal, certain privileges in life, certain luxuries maybe, may never grace your doorstep. You may never live in Malibu, be a member of a country club, or take exotic vacations. That's just life, not racism or any other wrong doing.

OR....maybe you will, depends on you, not some diversity program or social justice voodoo. To think we are all equal, is a false concept. Equal in the eyes of God, maybe. Equal under the law ? Even that is suspect as those with money and power seem to elude prosecution all the time.

However, we should all treat one another as an equal human being, worthy of compassion, love, respect, until at least, a person gives you a reason not to.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited September 2018
    If anyone here or elsewhere honestly thinks that whites “know what it’s like” to be subjected to racism and prejudice the same way as Minorities it’s not only ridiculous but insulting. And this is coming from a middle aged white male. I will tell you from experience that my father is a foreigner. He is from Iran- been called a terrorist. Been denied jobs outright because of his ethnicity. Been subjected to many things that I haven’t had to because I “look” white. After 9/11 he was ostracized from friends and family - bigots all of them.

It’s similar now - these “movements” have arguably set back the civil rights movements decades. The POTUS has spewed hatred (and that is not a political statement - it’s a simple observation). This single issue has polarized this country.

Kapernick and anyone who supports his protests do NOT hate the military or disrespect the flag.....that’s a BS narrative that many on this board have continued to perpetuate. Everyone finds pieces of this that they can mold into a narrative that serves no other purpose but to win the argument and further divide. I won’t ever judge anyone else for how they FEEL; and I will continue to support the fact that everyone has a right to state an opinion. But when the opinions of some start to influence how others should feel not ever have walked a mile in their shoes, that’s when it becomes dangerous.

The crazy thing about it all is - I haven’t heard many on this thread say something like “I understand how you might feel.....”. It’s more of “I can’t believe you feel that way.....” or “show me examples of why you feel that way......”.

Agree that everyone has a right to their opinion whether you agree with it or not. You CAN agree to disagree. But patronizing behavior and language with dissertations on why it can’t be true is not only short sighted but damaging to the progress that many are trying to make.

Just my .02 and in before the lock.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2018
    Still waiting to get that Anglo-Saxon history month as well... but that too, would be wrong.

Anglo-Saxon history is celebrated daily, 12 months of the year, as a matter of course, in the nation's schools and higher education institutions.

Black History Month was devised as a way to address the systematic erasing, from history books, of the cultural, scientific, and societal contributions of African Americans to America's progress as a nation.

Actually, many black people were, and are, opposed to the concept of a BHM. A better solution would be to properly document the contributions of all of U.S. citizens along side each other in the history texts and other historical records.

• In before the lock, I'm gonna go watch the WET, oh wait, there isn't one... That would be wrong...

Had that one loaded ....
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2018
    Actually, many black people were, and are, opposed to the concept of a BHM. A better solution would be to properly document the contributions of all of U.S. citizens along side each other in the history texts and other historical records

AGREED!!! I would love to have learned about the Buffalo Soldiers, or the Tuskegee Airmen, or of the Black Regiment of the Revolutionary War.

https://www.army.mil/article/97705/Black_Soldiers_in_the_Revolutionary_War/

We need to get back to teaching American History as a collective experience, with all the warts and triumphs. It is a fact that part of the reason for the colonists of the north wanting to break from the Crown was their opposition to slavery, while the southern states were dragged into the war.

It is impossible to teach the truth of history without teaching all of history and including everyone in it. The reason they don't teach it that way is because once you get to Andrew Jackson, a pattern starts to emerge, and that is better left out of this discussion. Dinesh D'Sousa has a series of fantastic works on the subject.

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Interesting watch: "13th". I believe its still on netflix.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited September 2018
    This should solved the debate

6i9dix8ncb1p.jpg

Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2018
    ^^best one yet.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    Except for the fact that there are not MILLIONS of homeless Vets...

The number of homeless veterans in America was estimated at 49,933 in January 2014, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness. That was a decline by 33 percent, or 24,837 people, from 2010 due to national efforts to deal with the problem.

If I owned something more than Nike autographed jerseys, I would gladly give them to a Vet. Marine Vets would still burn them to keep warm however... B)

• WLDock
    edited September 2018
    ...So sick of this crap. If you don't sell drugs, you don't go to jail. If you don't kill, you don't end up on death row, and if you don't speed, you don't get a ticket. If you work hard and do those things needed to achieve you dreams, you can get there, especially here in this country. Was Ben Carson, Colin Powell or Condelezza Rice hindered by the color of their skin? ANYONE, who has succeeded, including minorities, will say exactly that.

It gets old for me to hear that the reason for failure is anyone or anything other than the man or woman in the mirror. Making excuses to absolve themselves from complete responsibility for their own lives is the oldest narcotic in the world.
    You are correct, I've talk to some successful minorities and they've said exactly that. However, many will tell of their journey and the discrimination along the way. I've listened to several stories.

1) Years ago, a manager at a major department store created a diversity education program because at the time there wasn't one. The corporate office was in talks with him about rolling it out on a corporate level and making him the diversity manager/director. Some of the other managers had already shown signs of jealousy. He was a minority, not from the area but went to college there and was from a big urban city. Yet, he moved there after school, worked hard, move up the chain, and was about to do something that none of the locals there had done. He ended up getting let go from the company on some minor B.S. He took things to court and was going to try to get the case in a Federal court but the stress and cost was too much to take on this major corporation. He passed away much too young!

2) A Government agent worked his way up the ladder through years on the job. He previously worked several different details and even worked in the legal department as he has a law degree. He relocated and accepted a position in charge of several states. From day one in the role he experienced animosity and insubordination, especially by the group that was right under him. One of the agents in the group was up for the position but he was less qualified. So this group was salty to say the least. Nevertheless, the racism, disorder, bigotry was so thick throughout the region and had been for so long that the 'system' was weighed against him succeeding. They just were not ready for a minority in that role. He left after a short stint as it was a lost cause.

I can go on...and on, and on......

Its not just about those who are not getting off their butts.....Those who are pushing themselves to greatness are getting knock back down. Please believe that it does happen at every level. Even the highest level!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Tony Lama Black Label size 11D

n8b9d5ivnzus.jpg
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Am I the only one shocked this thread is still alive? No I can’t be!! Someone is on vacation!!

With dozens of white-owned TV networks and hundreds of channels of TV programming aimed at white audiences, what would be the point of a White Entertainment Television network? Most TV networks are a "WET" by default aren't they?

• tonyb
    edited September 2018
    Actually, many black people were, and are, opposed to the concept of a BHM. A better solution would be to properly document the contributions of all of U.S. citizens along side each other in the history texts and other historical records.

Your absolutely spot on, agreed. A simple solution for a small problem, yet we can't seem to do even that. The goal has changed Ray.

Shawn, sorry you feel that way, but I know for myself, I can certainly at least grasp an idea of what Blacks went through out our spotted history. However they don't own the subjects of racism or slavery, every race on the planet has had to endure those things at some point in history.

Today, nothing mirrors the racism and injustices of the past, so it's a bit disingenuous to try and equate the past to today. We are talking today, and from my perspective, there is nothing a black man can't do that I as a white man can. If there is, tell me so and we'll discuss it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    I agree, why close this thread? People are have good conversation, even if some disagree. Many points of view have been brought to the table.
This discussion has been closed.