The WDYDT Fitness, Exercise, Diet Thread

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I am 6'2" tall and had gotten up to 235. So right before I turned 60, I stopped all cakes, candy, pies, and even diet soda and started walking about 30 - 40 mins. a day. Not a hard workout but I walked fast enough to get my heart rate up. Other than that, I didn't mess with my diet too much. Tried to replace sweets with apples and bananas, and cut down on snacks and eat more veggies, but didn't get fanatical about it.

Lost 25 lbs. in 2 - 3 months and my sore back thanks me for it. Just kind of trying to maintain 210 now. I know I could still lose 20 lbs. but honestly, I don't see that happening. I did try jogging for a while but my knees and hips just can't take it anymore.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I am 6'2" tall and had gotten up to 235. So right before I turned 60, I stopped all cakes, candy, pies, and even diet soda and started walking about 30 - 40 mins. a day. Not a hard workout but I walked fast enough to get my heart rate up. Other than that, I didn't mess with my diet too much. Tried to replace sweets with apples and bananas, and cut down on snacks and eat more veggies, but didn't get fanatical about it.

Lost 25 lbs. in 2 - 3 months and my sore back thanks me for it. Just kind of trying to maintain 210 now. I know I could still lose 20 lbs. but honestly, I don't see that happening. I did try jogging for a while but my knees and hips just can't take it anymore.

Jogging, not really "recommended" at your age, and I"m moving up close to you, myself...haven't jogged in a few years! But you can still get on a bike, or a treadmill that will INCLINE, or an elliptical. There are a lot of options to boost that weight loss past the walking stage. Although "walking 30-45 minutes a day" is a very healthy activity that everyone should engage in for the REST OF THEIR LIVES!

Good stuff! I have some major "activity" ahead of me. It's time to start biking, and lifting (lower body exercises) to build up my left calf muscle which is just a little over half the size of the NORMAL right one which did NOT suffer the Achilles tear! Takes so much more time to build NEW muscle at this age than it did decades ago! If you have existing muscle, NO problem, you can maintain it and increase its size and strength. But when a muscle has atrophied, significantly from being "immobilized"--your "work" is cut out for YOU!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Did my first 12 mile off road ride on the mountain bike, me and my buddy did it in 1 hour 37 minutes some hills and berms, the woods were pretty wet from the snow melt and last nights rain so that slowed us down a bit. Think I will be pretty sore tomorrow, first ride since last November.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I shampooed the carpets in my house, top to bottom..

That's my work out...
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I just got off a 30 min. interval session on the elliptical. I mix it up on different days between strength training, elliptical, and yoga. Will be taking out the road bike soon.

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Finally got out on my newly redone road bike and put in a 25 mile ride yesterday. I took the day off today to go play outside, but it's pretty dang windy out and I'm not a fan of riding in the wind.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I've been training for the tough mudder coming up in a couple weekends from now. Started later than I wanted to because of the weather. Managed to run a little over 31 miles in a little under 4 weeks. Tonight is the first 6.5 mile run. Been doing 2.2 and 4.4 miles. Hopefully it's not as windy as it was yesterday :(
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I got upset with myself on Easter Sunday last week. I'm only 5'10" and hit the 230 mark on the scale. Been hovering around the 225 mark for about 3 years now and finally am fed up with it. I haven't had a soda in 8 days now and have gone for a walk every night with my wife all week. Along with having a very small lunch consisting of a turkey sausage breakfast sandwich, goldfish crackers, and a sugar free redbull and watching my dinners pretty close, I lost 8 pounds in this first week! My goal was 40 pounds by October 1st and I really see that as an accomplishable task.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Spam reported. Again.