Advice needed to match up discontinued TSx220 fronts

Options
Hi Forum,
I'm trying to rebuild my home theater around an Onkyo TX-NR575 AVR, that I have connected to TSx220Bs. I have a complete system already, but the rest of the speakers are older Cambridge Soundworks, & it's time to update. I'm limited in my options, as I'm purchasing through an AMEX program. Here are my thoughts:
Center- Signature S35, S30, or the CSiA6.
Rear, my space is limited, so I like the small TL3 Satellites.
Subwoofer- HTS10 or the PSW 11.
Any thoughts or advice would really help! Thanks!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You want the front 3 speakers to be timbre matched, so go with the S20's and the S35. The TL3's will be fine for the rear. For the sub go with the HTS12.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PatrickfromATL
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I really appreciate this advice. Just so that we're on the same page, for the front 3, I already have the L & R, TSx220Bs, and I'll be adding the Center, with either the S-30 or S35.
    Please let me know if I have it right, or if you thought I was losing the TSx's & going with all three S series in the front. If these TSx's aren't going to match well with anything, then I have to come up with a new plan. Thank you!
  • F1nut
    Options
    I'm suggesting you replace your current TSx's with S20's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Patrick.

While I understand that it is preferable to have matching speakers, especially for the front stage, I understand why you want to utilize what you already have.

So keep your TSx220s and get whichever of the Signature center channel speaker you like the best.

Double check your space and see if you can get the smallest of the Signature bookies for your rear speakers, and get the HTS 12 for your sub or better yet an SVS sub.

See if any of your friends would like your TSx220s, then you could get the matching Signature speakers for your fronts.

Keep us posted on what you decide and post pics!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PatrickfromATL
    Options
    I understand. I appreciate the good advice, and I'll update you all.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    If you’re willing to buy used, you can definitely find a center to match your mains. Just sayin’.
  • PatrickfromATL
    Options
    Thank you, & I've never thought about that. But that leads to the next question which is what is the matching series. TSx? And were theses series always timbre matched?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you, & I've never thought about that. But that leads to the next question which is what is the matching series. TSx? And were theses series always timbre matched?

TSX150/250C

Try to find the 250C it's a bigger center.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • PatrickfromATL
    Options
    Hey Guys, I'm trying to use these built up AMEX Reward points that have just been sitting there. That's why my choices were limited. From everyone's much appreciated advice, it appears that a matching L,R&C is most important. I really don't want to waste these TSx220's, though I'm hearing "replace" subliminally. MLISTENS03's suggestion seems like the best option for me, so I went on eBay & bid on a TSx250C Center.
    Now my old Sub just went out. (must've heard me talking replacement) Two suggested the HTS12. That model isn't available (by name). The only 12" available is the 200W front firing AM7516A. I think that this is the same as the HTS 12, appearance, specs, price.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    What website is this? Most likely it’s the HTS-12, but if it’s a sketchy website, it could be a fake that ends up delivered to your door.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The AM7516A is the same sub.

President of Club Polk

• PatrickfromATL
    Options
    The website is actually American Express. It's a "points" benefit program, & you can shop like it's a catalog. The sub looked just like an HTS12, & the specs mirrored each other. Unknown mystery advertised model #. Maybe a marketing ploy?
  • F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• PatrickfromATL
    Options
    To all of you, I say Thank You Very Much! I was pretty lost with this matching concept. You've set me straight. I'm getting the feeling that TSx may not be the best series, I don't know.
    I was able to order the HTS-12 (AM7516A ) Subwoofer, & I found a TSx250 Center!
    My rears will still suck! I need to know what will work best with this TSx setup. I see 2 options. Go with my original plan of buying the TL3's for the rear, or, moving my current TSx220Bs to the rear (they're just so darned DEEP!) & getting 2 more TSx220s.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Surrounds are not nearly as important matching wise. Really anything Polk that will fit would be fine. Can u go in-ceiling? That is a great option as well. S10s are very small, but not quite as small as the t3s and probably give you a little more bass. You might also look on eBay for a pair of Polk M3s that are wedge shaped: https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xpolk+m3.TRS0&_nkw=polk+m3
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mlistens03
    Options
    The rears won't matter nearly as much as the rest of your speakers, although better is... well, better. I think something like Polk T series would serve nicely, although the TSx series speakers may be a better match, although that isn't as important as the rest.
  • PatrickfromATL
    Options
    Thanks, Guys. I'm gonna check out what eBay has concerning those models mentioned, but I'll probably go TL3 if they prove to be the smallest. Ceiling isn't an option, & I'm trying to hide these on the back corner of the end tables. As always, All advice is much appreciated!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Definitive technology pro monitor 800 are very small and MUCH better than the TL3s. And should be comparable in price...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PatrickfromATL
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advice, rooftop59! Unfortunately, I already purchased the TL3s for the rear. Here's the latest-
    The speaker situation is complete, all Polk: TSx220B bookshelf fronts, TSx250C center, HTS12 sub, & TL3 rears. I also took your advice & bought the used Denon AVR-3806, since I was unhappy with the under-powered Onkyo. The funny thing is that I committed to buying the Denon before I received all of my speakers. Once they came in, this set up produced much better sound then the set up I had prior to coming to this forum. The not-so-funny thing, is that last night was my first opportunity to switch out the Onkyo AVR for the Denon. Once I completed all transfers, this Denon would not fire up. No indication of the unit getting power, what-so-ever. I spend the day Googling, (Yes, the main power button was on), trying to initialize & reset, opening the cover & inspecting fuses & any possible capacitor leakage, or burn marks on the boards. Unhooking all connections & trying to fire up. You name it, I tried it. It came very sufficiently packed, & I saw no signs of box damage. I'm also sure that the Seller (a member of this forum) shipped this unit in working order. So, it's a mystery. I'll have to send it out to a shop. If by chance any of you Techs are in the Atlanta area & want to take a stab at it, Lemme know. Otherwise, I'll be driving an hour each way to Norman's Electronics & the cost will probably exceed what I paid for this. Oh well, Stuff happens.