Upgrade from RT800i to Signature Series?

Options
Hello new to the forum and just starting to think about building out a new HT system after upgrading my 15 year Sony old plasma to a new Sony XBR65A8F.

I ordered a Sony STR-ZA810ES receiver and plan to do a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

For my front soundstage I currently have a pair of RT800i speakers along with a CS400i center.
For surrounds I've ordered a pair of S10s
For a sub I've ordered the Polk DSW Pro660
I'm still undecided on height speakers and not sure what my best options are.

I'm wondering if its worth the upgrade to go to the S60s and S30 from the RT/CS setup I currently have.

I'm also debating returning the sub and going with an SVS PB2000 after reading so many good reviews about it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I think that the Signatures would best you RT800i's, so I'd grab those.
    The SVS is the better subwoofer, but that's not to say that the DSW Pro660 is bad. The Polk sub is nice and compact, and still sounds good, but if you have the space and money, go for the SVS.
    I would also recommend getting separate amplifiers for at least your mains, and the center, too. I'll let others chime in on a amplifier.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I would wait on new Signature speakers till you see how you like the new receiver with the RTs that you have.

I also think that your receiver will be underpowered to try to handle front heights.

Everyone that has the Signatures seems happy with them, so it's probably not a bad move, but for Home Theater the RT series is very good as well, imo.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Langer!

I have the Signature S60s and they are terrific, they have Polk's signature sound, look great, and are an excellent all round speaker for both music and movies.

I upgraded from a pair of 27 year old Polk RTA-8Ts, and I'm extremely happy with them. Here is my review of them from last year.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers/p1

Bottom line, I think you would be very happy with a complete Signature system.

I also agree with getting an SVS sub.

One thing I noticed is your Sony doesn't have preouts. They cost more money, but a receiver that has preouts gives you the capability of adding separate amplification later on, which will allow your speakers to operate to their full potential. If you are able to change one out from the Sony now, rather than having to buy a new one later. Just something to consider.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • langer318
    Options
    Thanks for the input mlistens03 and Jimbo18. I'll be testing out my old speakers first before ordering anything just to see how it sounds.

It, sounds like the common theme here is my receiver is going to be underpowered for this setup. For some additional details I have a 15x15 room with an 8 foot ceiling that is also open to the kitchen area on one side which is about 12x20

I'm not really sold on the idea of having a separate processor\amp(s) for the setup it is really worth going that route or would a more powerful receiver be a better\simpler option? Is there an amp and or receiver setup you would recommend?
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Marantz receivers are pretty popular on here. Here is one with preouts, that you could add a separate amp to. https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR5012-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B072ZJ9SRM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536071610&sr=8-4&keywords=marantz+sr6012

For amps, we are also very partial to Parasound amps, but there are others that we like as well.

Are you willing to consider used products? You can get even more for your money that way.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    The denon avr-x series is also excellent, as is the Yamaha rx-a aventage series. I would look at the least expensive model with preouts so long as it has the other features you are looking at.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • langer318
    Options
    Thanks that Marantz looks good I may go that route. Yes I'm willing to consider used if there is enough value in it.

cfrizz wrote: »
    Marantz receivers are pretty popular on here. Here is one with preouts, that you could add a separate amp to. https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR5012-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B072ZJ9SRM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536071610&sr=8-4&keywords=marantz+sr6012

For amps, we are also very partial to Parasound amps, but there are others that we like as well.

Are you willing to consider used products? You can get even more for your money that way.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Keep watching the forum. Often when the Signature Series is heavily discounted, someone will post a link to it. There have been some crazy good prices on it recently.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
  • cfrizz
    Options
  • langer318
    Options
    Awesome thanks for pointing me in the right direction for used! So a question if I go with a receiver like the Marantz mentioned above and then attach an amp to it for the some/all of the channels will the Audyssey speaker calibration still work?

cfrizz wrote: »
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Yes, it will work just fine.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    If the Audyssey calibration system is anything like my Yamaha's YPAO, then yes, it'll still calibrate your system.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Audyssey Is measuring the sound that comes out of your speakers, not what leaves the receiver. So it will just take measurements of your speakers as powered by the amp. Not a problem...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • langer318
    Options
    Makes sense, I figured it was going to be that but wanted to be 100%.

So I ordered the Marantz 5012 and a SVS PB200 will be sending the Sony receiver back along with the Polk PSW sub.

I'm going to see how the old RT/CS sound and go from there in updating them to the Signatures,and I'll lookout for them on sale.
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Audyssey Is measuring the sound that comes out of your speakers, not what leaves the receiver. So it will just take measurements of your speakers as powered by the amp. Not a problem...
  • rooftop59
    Options
    langer318 wrote: »

So I ordered the Marantz 5012 and a SVS PB200 will be sending the Sony receiver back along with the Polk PSW sub.

I'm going to see how the old RT/CS sound and go from there in updating them to the Signatures,and I'll lookout for them on sale.

Good choices. You’ll be pleased. Might find that you’re happy with the speakers...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • ken brydson
    Options
    langer318 wrote: »

Good choices. You’ll be pleased. Might find that you’re happy with the speakers...

Agreed. The 800i/400i is a no slouch combo for HT.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    There is a lot you can do, all depends on budget.

Watch Slickdeals for sales on Signatures https://www.adorama.com/pkults60g.html?sdtid=11740031&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
    add sub and done.

This one has an AVR in the package and you already ordered the SR5012. That Marantz is a very nice AVR. I had no problems driving RTi8 or my current Signatures with an SR5010 but adding an amp for just my main L/R added a lot more detail.

The SVS PB2000 will shake your world nice.

Get what you have ordered setup and see how you like the sound.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • rooftop59
    Options
    The upgrade you have coming will blow your mind. The move from your current speaks to the signatures will be a noticeable upgrade, but no where near as big. I think you might be really happy without upgrading the speakers imho...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1