Nike' and Kapernick together now.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    monepolk wrote: »
    Where are all of these pictures a definition questions when a baseball announcer calls a sacrifice fly?

I’m sorry, but this post is makes no sense.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Tony Dungy has always been a class act in my opinion.

Absolutely, now there is a face anyone can put on a product and be proud.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    When anyone, spokesperson or not, starts to inject their idealism, et., al, in the public discourse I tend to object. Especially the in your face “I’m right, your wrong” attitude that seems to prevail these days.

I see it in sports, music, movies, apparel, even food these days. It’s everywhere. And there have been recent examples of folks getting harassed in restaurants.

I will use that proclamation of their idealism as another bit of data when making a purchase decision.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    WLDock wrote: »
    Because of their high-profile athletes are encouraged to take a stand on all types of issues all the time. However, many never do so. So, rather you support him or not the man chose to sacrifice himself in a way that none could have ever imagined. He stood up for injustice on one of the largest stages available to him.... within an organization who's players are 70% black. We have not seen this type of impact made by an athlete since the 60's. Naturally he's made some new friends and enemies. However, his name is already in the book of American history rather all like it or not...
    The man is simply calling the Country out about it's self and it's history. It's like he is holding up a mirror that reflects what's currently going as well as some of the darkness of the past. It's dead wrong to call someone less American for doing so if you truly feel that all Americans are equal.

This Nike thing is just a new chapter in the saga. Nike is obviously playing the "Let's shake thing up" card, and that's OK. Because the chips will fall where they may! Those that don't like the man or his cause or now despise Nike for employing him have the right to their own expression.

All have a responsibility to serve in some way. All of our families past and present have shed blood for this Country. All have the right to free speech. All have the right to stand or kneel for a cause. All are still American and all should still love their fellow man even if they disagree.

If we ALL chose love over hate , our lives will be richer and have more meaning and purpose.

Now you've opened the gates...

8s4dkwh5fly0.gif
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    ^Unions do quite often.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Charles Barkley uttered the immortal words... "I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

ALL people should think of ALL celebs in this manner
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I understand Kaps plight but,....

The NFL falls into the category of Sports and Leisure not politics, we have enough of that in our daily lives already.

The stadium is a place of business. Try going into your office and protesting, doubt if you keep your job.
    He did sacrificed his job for a greater cause than himself. We don't get to decide where a protest is appropriate. There is actually some brilliance in his actions. Who knew the reach of his actions would go this far?

I can't say that I fully agreed with his actions at first. However, I've been harassed by cops before (More than once) and could have been in an escalated situation if my temper was out of control. Heck, in one situation I called my cousin to the scene, who worked for Internal Affairs with the police department. He is black and was getting disrespected by the two white detectives on the scene. These two detectives had a bad reputation of harassment and brute force. So, what chance does the average young black male have with these two cops if they disrespect a member of their own Internal Affairs? They have to be held accountable for their actions. This is just one story of many that I've personally seen. I've even had a family member killed at the hands of the law and the family won the civil suite. So, until one can walk a mile in the shoes of others, really take the time to think about why some would go so far to protest something. Listen to the other side. America is no utopia, we have issues.

Nevertheless, If the man falls over dead tomorrow he's left a lasting American legacy. How many of us have the balls to go against the grain and do what he's done? I really don't know if I could have done it.

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    If it was a true sacrifice, he wouldn't be taking it to court...IMHO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    edited September 2018
    "tonyb wrote: »
    Now you've opened the gates...

8s4dkwh5fly0.gif
    Its shouldn't be about that, It really should be about open discussion. The flame wars I see on the net really disappoint me. Lets talk about our differences!

If I were an NFL player I would be majorly conflicted about kneeling with the guy. However, I'm black and born and raised in Detroit. I've seen some things in my 52 years on this Earth. Good and bad! I've had people that don't look like me treat me like dirt and other treat me like I was family. Still, its no secret that blacks are getting killed at a rate of 5-9 times higher than whites. There are SO many reasons for this and ALL have to be accountable. The discussion cannot die!
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Money and politics is the root of all evil
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    The discussion cannot die!

I think most people would agree, but kneeling during the anthem doesn't promote discussion, it causes dissension. I just think there is a better way and Tony Dungy has a great idea. Will the NFL listen?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I agree, Steve. It literally blows my mind when I hear that someone didn't vote.
  • WLDock
    edited September 2018
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Charles Barkley uttered the immortal words... "I'm not a role model... Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."
    IMO, anyone can choose anyone be a role model. If Chuck chooses not to be one than that is totally fine as well.

A role model can be a poor migrant farmworker that donates food to the homeless. Or a superstar basketball player that opens a school...someone like Jalen Rose that did it before LeBron! Anyone can be a role model to someone! IMO, I think the average American has a good heart and wants to do good.

Post edited by WLDock on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    GlennDog wrote: »
    IMO, anyone can choose anyone be a role model. If Chuck chooses not to be one than that is totally fine as well.

A role model can be a poor migrant farmworker that donates food to the homeless. Or a superstar basketball player that opens a school...someone like Jalen Rose that did it before LeBron! Anyone can be a role model to someone! IMO, I think the average American has a good heart and want to do good.

And we need more of them. Sadly, these days as soon as one rises up, others are waiting to absolutely destroy them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    edited September 2018
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    The discussion cannot die!

I think most people would agree, but kneeling during the anthem doesn't promote discussion, it causes dissension. I just think there is a better way and Tony Dungy has a great idea. Will the NFL listen?
    I fully understand this. I had to really read up on Kap myself before I could process how I felt about it. I see both sides, I really do.

• WLDock
    edited September 2018
    Every serviceman (who he is disrespecting) whose ever died
    That's the one that I struggle with when talking about Patriotism, the Anthem and the Flag. How the Troop got into the discussion I do not know. On one hand I get it, on the other, its a deflection to the issue he is protesting.... blacks that have lost their lives just because they were black. Lets take it a step further...there has been blacks who have served in the armed forces that were killed in the hands of the police.

So, lets thank each and every military person for their service. However, lets not ignore the issue by focusing on Kapernick. If one is outraged by the protest then they should be outrages by the killings. Yes, we just want to watch football on Sunday and not deal with this, I get it. But, the thing in which he is protesting is a real thing.

If so inclined, read this piece to get a different perspective... that you very well may disagree with. However, this is very much the perspective of others. Remember, we are all American but our experiences are different.

"Please Stop Defending Colin Kaepernick. You’re Doing It Wrong"
    https://www.theroot.com/please-stop-defending-colin-kaepernick-youre-doing-it-1818999019
  • Don't forget the powers that be using this issue as a tool to divide us, shame on us.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • WLDock
    edited September 2018
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If it was a true sacrifice, he wouldn't be taking it to court...IMHO
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Do any of you get to protest while at work? This is a pretty simple concept. Nobody is arguing against protest, but you do it on YOUR time. Now, the other side can try to spin that all they want--but that's what it boils down to.
    I really think Kap agrees with this (and tells other to not try this on their own job) yet said the hell with it, I'm going for it. I think he was ready to loose the job with the Skins but I don't think he was prepared to be shut out completely. Again, I can see his side as well as the NFL's side. I've seen folks fired for much less.

Still, IMO, I think the NFL could have handled this better in the very beginning...but money and politics are involved so.....

Post edited by WLDock on
  • WLDock
    edited September 2018
    Don't forget the powers that be using this issue as a tool to divide us, shame on us.
    The powers are getting more powerful because we are divided. The poor and middle class fight about politics when neither side has done anything different from the other to majorly impact our lives. The billionaires like it this way!

If we actually came together our lives would improve! Imagine if we came together as one race, the American race. We would stun the World!

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    la2vegas wrote: »

How will we view the actions of Mr. Kapernick in say 20 to 30 years? Nobody really knows, but if I were a betting man, and I'm not, I'd bet on history.

The irony :D

Have fun with this debate gentlemen, just remember to please keep it civil.

Agreed

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
This discussion has been closed.