Every now and then you discover something...bugs on your car...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited September 2018 in The Clubhouse
I just tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, out of sheer age and laziness, to remove my wife's bug-pummeled front end on her 2500 Ram diesel. SUCCESS. I have tried dozens of products for this knarley chore from hell, and none of them were the holy grail. Magic eraser IS. I used it on plastic-chrome, plastic headlight lenses, and real chrome with MAJOR success and NO scratching. I even hit a couple of spots on her paint, NO scratches.

THIS is BIG. It took like 10 minutes to entirely de-bug her front end. Keep the stuff wet, and keep the magic eraser wet.

I'll be expecting a Christmas card from ALL of you for this GEM.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Nice Steve.
    About the only time i take my vehicle to the car wash is to use the power wand on bugs on the front end.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks for the tip. I’ll be sure to send all the bug residue and remains to ya when I give it a go! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I'd worry a wee bit about scratching (for lack of a better word). I use 'em for many things (including, yes, cleaning record player cartridge styli, now and again). I've noticed that they can have subtle but visible effects when used on, e.g., painted surfaces on the texture (sheen) of the surface -- and I am pretty circumspect when I use one :)

Just wanted to mention that, FWIW.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    They will introduce micro swirls on the paint, especially over time but this is great to use on very stubborn ones. WD-40 is what I use for those stubborn ones on paint. Works great for getting rub marks off of the paint too without scratching it.

Every year, I will use one or two of these to clean my lawn tractor. Dang thing looks brand new when I am done. Rims, tires and all.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • steveinaz
    What really shocked me was that the headlight lenses were not scratched. I only applied the force necessary to remove the spot. It was the easiest bug clean-up I have ever done; and her truck was loaded with them.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I use it on windows which works pretty good too.
  • treitz3
    Shoot, try using them to clean the shower. Soap scum is almost instantaneously gone.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Thanks for the tip.

Will try it on the daughters new car.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Something to be aware of... I used a magic eraser on some painted wood outdoors. Assuming that there is only one manufacturer that makes this product, I think we are talking about the same thing. It was a white pad that you add water to and then rub. Anyways, I removed a stubborn stain on some painted wood (a one square foot area), and did not wash the surface afterwards. A couple months later the area that I used the pad on had lightened up in color. Come to find out, the pad had bleach in it and ended up fading the paint over a short amount of time. Again, this wood was in direct sunlight in the late part of the day. Just thought I'd throw that out there if it is indeed the same product that I used.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Cummins power. My favorite!
  • steveinaz
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    Cummins power. My favorite!

It' has been Bev's DREAM to own a Ram 2500 HD Diesel. She loves that thing. Damn thing gets better mileage than my Charger. Doh!
  • I wouldn't recommend using Magic Eraser on chrome or a fine paint job. First hand experience tells me that paper towels will scratch triple chrome plated surfaces and Magic Eraser is no doubt much more abrasive than a paper towel. I've found the best way to get suicidal bugs off my bike's front end is lots of soaking with a hose first followed by a very light once over with simple green and a soft car wash brush.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2018
    I saw no evidence of scratching on either the "real" chrome bumpers or the plastic chrome front grill. I DID keep soapy water on the spots while cleaning, and I didn't use a lot of pressure, as it wasn't necessary. I do agree that using it on paint is probably not a good idea, especially on a dark car. Keep in mind these bugs were "baked" on there for over a month.

Just passing on what I actually witnessed. I'll post some pics this evening, and you all can judge for yourselves.
  • ^^^^^Sadly it took a few cleanings before I noticed the scratches the paper towels were leaving. By then the damage was done.
  • steveinaz
    I have seen damage by paper towels on plastic lenses, that's why I only use a micro-fiber towel on my gauges, etc.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited September 2018
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I have seen damage by paper towels on plastic lenses, that's why I only use a micro-fiber towel on my gauges, etc.

I waited too long to dust the plastic covering my gauges which now have a visible layer of dust and now I'm scared to, even with a microfiber because I'm afraid it'll leave hairline scratches on the plastic. :(
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »

I waited too long to dust the plastic covering my gauges which now have a visible layer of dust and now I'm scared to, even with a microfiber because I'm afraid it'll leave hairline scratches on the plastic. :(

Meguiar's PlastX or Clear Plastic Cleaner followed by Clear Plastic Polish will get them cleaned up and scratch free. Use a little soap and water on a microfiber towel first to get the base layer of dust off. Apply the PlastX or the Cleaner + Polish with a microfiber pad or towel then buff to a shine. Easy.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • steveinaz
    It seems like auto makers have certainly improved the plastics used in the newer headlight covers. They seem far more durable and less prone to fade. My 2011 Grand Cherokee's headlight lenses were like new when I traded it in, and I never paid any special attention to them other than applying Meguiar's detail spray on them after washing.
  • steveinaz
    Clipdat wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »

Use some canned air to remove the majority of the dust first.; then wipe.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Oh good call! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks man.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2018
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Something to be aware of... I used a magic eraser on some painted wood outdoors. Assuming that there is only one manufacturer that makes this product, I think we are talking about the same thing. It was a white pad that you add water to and then rub. Anyways, I removed a stubborn stain on some painted wood (a one square foot area), and did not wash the surface afterwards. A couple months later the area that I used the pad on had lightened up in color. Come to find out, the pad had bleach in it and ended up fading the paint over a short amount of time. Again, this wood was in direct sunlight in the late part of the day. Just thought I'd throw that out there if it is indeed the same product that I used.

The "plain vanilla" Magic Eraser doesn't contain any bleach-- the problem (I think!) is that, due to the relentless 21st Century urge to innovate continuously*, :p there are now a bevy of different Magic Eraser products. There are also "generic" copies of the original ME products (imagine that?!), too. Lord knows what's in them :/

https://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-products/magic-erasers

dttu0k5c3n0e.png

The great regular flavor is the one to use in an application like this -- but, of course, it is still an abrasive (albeit an exceeding fine one :p ) and so, as numerous posts to this thread have mentioned, prudence is dictated. If you can't find Prudence, trust by verify. ;)

• steveinaz
    The one I used was the original "plain" one.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I bought a pair at the store today and I am already considering upgrading them.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited September 2018
    I will give it a shot just put 1500 miles on the family truckster, and the front end is covered in bugs. I bet it will be easier than using rubbing compound and bug and tar remover. Thanks for the heads up.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    I drive 5k miles a month, I just go to the car wash every day with an unlimited pass.. Don't need bugs or paint!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    VR3 wrote: »
    I drive 5k miles a month, I just go to the car wash every day with an unlimited pass.. Don't need bugs or paint!

Why ? 60k a year on a vehicle is nuts.

Are you collecting for the mob or somethin' ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Just taking over the world one house at a time...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So yesterday I paid the price for not addressing the tree residue on my daily driver immediately. Let that crap cook on the hood, door uppers, etc., for over a week. Rock hard solid little bits all over a pearl white paint job. What a mess. Lot's of bug/tar remover, and elbow grease! Over 4 hours getting the Acadia cleaned up!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »

You too, eh? (though my miles may be less)

$30 smackers a month to keep my windshield clear everyday? Well worth it. Getting the truck cleaned is just a bonus....especially since Sam's Car Wash is a half a mile away...LOL

Tom