I've lost that loving feeling...

Options
Lately I've noticed that I'm not enjoying the music much. I've replaced speakers hoping to bring the magic back, but it's just not there. The story goes that I had a 2 channel system that I really liked. It was an Arcam Alpha 8 pre, Parasound HCA 1200 amp, Denon 2910 DVD, and Totem Rainmaker speakers. It sounded great, but I wanted convenience and surround sound. So I sold off everything except the 2910 and bought different gear. I picked up a Pioneer SC-1222 receiver and went old school on the speakers with some Norman Lab 432s for the mains. I enjoyed the change for a couple of years, but something was missing. I knew it was the speakers.

After some looking around I decided to go back to bookshelf speakers for the mains, which work in my 11x13 room. I ran across the Quad 12L that Doro had posted and wanted to try them. The Quads really sparkle with an amazing high end and nice smooth midrange, but they lack volume in the bottom end that I like. I tried placement all over the place, but just couldn't get the bottom end that I wanted. I thought about adding a sub, but realized that I didn't have the funds for what I wanted. Not to mention I don't need what I wanted in this small space. I started looking again knowing that I had read about the Polk LSIm 703, and it's great bottom end for a bookie. A pair came up here from teamjhertz for a great price, and I picked them up. They did exactly what I wanted with the bottom end, but I did give up a little in the upper registers compared to the Quads. Now that I've had them 5 months the newness has worn off, and I'm not feeling them anymore. There's just something missing.

I feel like I'm at a crossroads. Is it time to sell off the Polks and Quads and get back to the Rainmakers? Or am I missing it at the equipment level? I've convinced myself that adding an amp, and using the Pioneer as a prepro could be the fix. My funds are always tight, but I do have the Quads to sell if need be.
PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
Denon DVD 2910
Quad 12L Active Monitors
Marin Logan Dynamo 700W

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    edited August 2018
    Options
    FWIW, I was using a 2910 for awhile, I really like that player and was my first real CD player which served double-duty as a DVD player.

I abandoned the AVR and picked up a B&K 200.2 and REF 50 which turned things around. Not too long after that I didn't have the exact feelings as you, but I felt something was still amiss.

Taking the advice that it all begins with the source, I found a nice used Marantz SA8004 and my listening experience took a big change for the better.

The 2910 is a very nice player, but once I went with separates, the 2910 started to appear a little thin, and lacked the body the Marantz provides.

I would suggest an 8004 or possibly an 8005. I upgraded to the 8005 mainly for the higher resolution of the USB input, but the 8005 sounds just slightly cleaner, maybe from the different PSU, but both are phenomenal players.

I would try another source before you give up hope.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I think you answered your own question. Get the Rainmakers back.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I have 705’s and Rainmakers. With the right amplification, the705’s are more transparent
    The Totems have stunning mid/highs but lack the depth of the 705’s. Now I am comparing towers to bookies, but I get what you are saying about the Totem highs. All I can say is to invoke emotion, nothing does the trick like good amps. That would be my guess on what’s missing.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Go big or go home... look for some SDA-SRS 1.2TL’s, 2.3TL’s, or 3.1TL’s. Your ears will thank you instantly, but you can thank me later. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    Options
    Go big or go home... look for some SDA-SRS 1.2TL’s, 2.3TL’s, or 3.1TL’s. Your ears will thank you instantly, but you can thank me later. :p

I've been looking for SDAs for years. They are very rare in my neck of the woods. There is a pair our there right now, but I don't know if they're worth the asking price.
    https://littlerock.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-sda-1/6685680306.html
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    aiconn wrote: »

I've been looking for SDAs for years. They are very rare in my neck of the woods. There is a pair our there right now, but I don't know if they're worth the asking price.

No!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited September 2018
    Options
    oh -- music.
    And here I was gonna mention that generic sildenafil is available.
    Ask you doctor.

:#

EDIT: OK, sorry -- on topic. If you miss what you had, get another pair. Probably can save $ in a net fashion due to depreciation in the interim. Loudspeakers (especially "audiophile" models) seem to depreciate way faster than most other hifi hardware. Really seems (to me) to be a fashion industry. Currently fashionable, e.g., the KEF LS50. Wait 5 years ;)

Please note I am in no way knocking the Rainmakers! Nice loudspeakers.

I guess my other reaction is that I really don't understand why folks get rid of hifi components that they really like. Other than space constraints, I cannot see a lot of downside in hanging on to stuff one (really) likes.

:|
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    aiconn wrote: »

Those are not the Polk’s you are looking for. You need to make your woods a little larger. They are worth the drive to get the right pair
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson