My first Polk eBay experience

Options
I ordered 2 refurb 703's. One was obviously used and missing a tweeter. Well, it's not really missing -- it's lying on the base of the speaker -- inside the speaker. The other one is new. I'm posting this because all I could find was "buy refurb with confidence" posts It seems they might be a little bit "hit or miss". We'll see how the exchange process goes. BTW, the speaker left the warehouse like that I think -- no damage to the box that would lead one to think shipping caused it.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Yikes also... I did not have that experience with my 703 refurb purchase. Hope it gets resolved quickly.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions. That can happen if a box is dropped flat on its side from a distance. Box will appear undamaged, magnets break off drivers.
  • Glashub
    Glashub Posts: 43
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Perhaps you should have bought from one of the chaps on this forum, I hear that he has a warehouse full of new Polks. Albeit in a residential setting.
    :D

Need 100 posts, right?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I usually judge a company by how well they rectify the issue, not that the issue occurred in the first place.

Of course there have been exceptions to this rule, but that is rare.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Glashub
    Options
    So I poked around. The plastic bracket around the tweeter snapped off. And screws are missing . The only screw is screwed into a piece of plastic that snapped off. These were the last refurbs. I'm trying to get them to cut me a deal on a new one. CS seems resistant to that idea.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2018
    Options
    deleted
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Glashub wrote: »
    So I poked around. The plastic bracket around the tweeter snapped off. And screws are missing . The only screw is screwed into a piece of plastic that snapped off. These were the last refurbs. I'm trying to get them to cut me a deal on a new one. CS seems resistant to that idea.

Why a new one? They will likely drop ship you another refurb, and its very unlikely that it will happen twice. Mistakes happen, again, how they respond is key. But asking for new for the price of refurb seems like an overreach imho...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Glashub
    edited August 2018
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Why a new one? They will likely drop ship you another refurb, and its very unlikely that it will happen twice. Mistakes happen, again, how they respond is key. But asking for new for the price of refurb seems like an overreach imho...

They don't have any more refurbished. None. Nada. So I tried for a new one. They don't have any of those either.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options

They don't have any more refurbished. None. Nada. So I tried for a new one. They don't have any of those either.

Correct, they are out of stock. Just return the speakers for a refund. There will be other opportunities down the road.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Glashub
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Correct, they are out of stock. Just return the speakers for a refund. There will be other opportunities down the road.

Yep. That's what I'm doing. Not bashing Polk. It is disappointing -- and not all experiences are positive - in the interest of fair reporting.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    Perhaps you should have bought from one of the chaps on this forum, I hear that he has a warehouse full of new Polks. Albeit in a residential setting.

Need 100 posts, right?

Actually you only need 100 to SELL, buying is at the sellers discretion. A hinted here at a thread in this sub forum, there may be a set or sets of 703's for sale soon. It does not hurt to ask.
  • Glashub
    Options
    pkquat wrote: »

Need 100 posts, right?

Actually you only need 100 to SELL, buying is at the sellers discretion. A hinted here at a thread in this sub forum, there may be a set or sets of 703's for sale soon. It does not hurt to ask.

Thank you. I will.

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    IIRC, @stretchl might have even gotten an odd number of 703s. So, depending on what finish you need, you might be able to purchase a single!
  • Glashub
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    IIRC, @stretchl might have even gotten an odd number of 703s. So, depending on what finish you need, you might be able to purchase a single!

Thank you. Been in contact with him.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Get them to give you a partial refund through eBay to cover for the damaged speaker, and use that money to pick up the odd 703 from @stretchl.

Fingers crossed that it's the right color!
  • Glashub
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Get them to give you a partial refund through eBay to cover for the damaged speaker, and use that money to pick up the odd 703 from @stretchl.

Fingers crossed that it's the right color!

Oh Polk customer service has been excellent. They are doing exactly that. I'm keeping the good one and they're refunding the other.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Keep an eye out for the Adorama deals posted here as well.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options

Please do. I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up. I’ve only opened one box out of 13.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Glashub
    Options
    stretchl wrote: »

Please do. I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up. I’ve only opened one box out of 13.

Keep me in mind for a mahogany please.